Rankings (WTA)

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Hope Maria has a good birthday on Monday and starts getting ready...she has a grip load of points to defend with Halep breathing down her neck

tented

Administrator
Reactions
New rankings for Monday, April 20, 2015:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/womens-world-tennis-rankings/

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Serena is 2000 points ahead of Halep/Pova. If she can keep them at bay until October, she overtakes Evert for weeks at number one. I think there is a good possibility Serena does it.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Depending on how she does at the rest of the slams, she could quite possibly secure the number 1 ranking before October.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Depending on how she does at the rest of the slams, she could quite possibly secure the number 1 ranking before October.

Agreed. Maria is defending champion points at RG which I don't think she will defend. Halep is defending Final points at RG and SF points at Wimbledon. She could feasibly defend most of those points but she doesn't really have room for improvement until after Wimbledon. I can't see anyone passing Serena.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Evert has 260 weeks at number one. Serena needs 23 more weeks to surpass her. If Serena can hold off Pova and Halep until October (which seems very likely), she will be third on the list of most weeks at number one. I guess my original post was unclear.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well Sharapova has a ton of points to defend on clay and is pretty light after that she did poorly at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, so she can make up ground there. Sharapova had a strong fall. Halep did well at the French and Wimbledon, and I think she did poorly during the summer, but has points in the fall to defend. Serena pretty much has the summer to defend. She can gain ground during the clay and grass season and even during the fall. She can make up points in Beijing. The likely hood of Serena not gaining ground is minimal. Of those behind her, Halep was the most consistent and has the points to defend.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena winning Wimby and making the QF or better of RG should be enough to secure #1 for the rest of the year as long as she doesn't drop a dud at the USO.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well I know Wimbledon is her goal. I think winning another French should be on there too as there is now 3 weeks rest between RG and Wimbledon.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well I know Wimbledon is her goal. I think winning another French should be on there too as there is now 3 weeks rest between RG and Wimbledon.

I don't think Serena has the ability to go into a slam without wanting/believing she could win it. :p.

That being said I think she kind of made her peace with clay after her last RG win. She felt like she needed to prove that she was good on all surfaces, she did it, and now theres less pressure.

I think because of her history at Wimbledon she's probably looking at Wimbledon as a place to begin tying up her legacy. I imagine she's looking at retiring after 2016. If she won 2 more slams this year all she would need to do next year is win two and she'd be done with the record.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder what Serena's strategy is. Focus on FO or not? Her weapons are muted on clay so that is her worst surface despite her saying it is her favorite. If she had to choose between FO or Wimby, it makes sense to choose the latter.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Actually, I like her focusing on another French at least one more. She can then separate herself even further from Chris and Martina by claiming she won all 4 Slams at least three times.

If she wins another U.S. Open she can claim sole lead in titles there for the Open Era. She will then lead the categories in at least two slams for most in the Open Era. The French and Wimbleon are out of her reach for most titles I think.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Actually, I like her focusing on another French at least one more. She can then separate herself even further from Chris and Martina by claiming she won all 4 Slams at least three times.

That would an incredible achievement. I know Steffi won each at least 4 times, but Serena winning each at least 3 times would nevertheless be stunning.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At this stage in her career, it is all about finding the little things that can set yourself apart from the others at the top. I am glad she is in a position to move into the top 3 potentially for years at number 1, if she wins another French there is that to add. If she decides to try for the mixed and capture the last two slams there that elude her. She has made herself the undisputed Hard Court Queen. She has improved on clay and gotten a nice mixture of titles on it to round out her resume on the surfaces. I would like to see her try for the mixed in RG again this year. If anything easier practice for her, and she gets in clay matches.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
At this stage in her career, it is all about finding the little things that can set yourself apart from the others at the top. I am glad she is in a position to move into the top 3 potentially for years at number 1, if she wins another French there is that to add. If she decides to try for the mixed and capture the last two slams there that elude her. She has made herself the undisputed Hard Court Queen. She has improved on clay and gotten a nice mixture of titles on it to round out her resume on the surfaces. I would like to see her try for the mixed in RG again this year. If anything easier practice for her, and she gets in clay matches.

It would be nice to see her round out her career with that mixed title but I think her team is really focusing on separating this year form 2013/2014 with some injury prevention and pacing. It's probably best she keeps her schedule lighter especially with doubles and mixed doubles unless she's feeling really fit and really ready...perhaps Wimbledon or maybe next year if she ends this year at 21 or 22.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well Maria lost today with big points coming off, so these other girls are making it easier to keep the ranking.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Wondering how Bouchard and Petra move up when they haven't done anything in months. :puzzled

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^ Bouchard moved up because Ivanovic didn't defend points from Stuttgart last year.