Quatar's World Cup

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
900 dead already...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/over-900-workers-have-already-died-building-qatars-world-cup-facilities-180950088/?no-ist

Quatar should never have got a world cup in any event.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What with the huge bribery scandal erupting, there are moves to get out of this disastrous idea. I think the alternative was to have it in Australia, buddy. And they picked bleedin' Qatar. It's like having a tennis grand slam final in Antarctica... :nono

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Agreed. The tiny population, lack of any football history, ridiculous desert heat, apalling human rights record.... What gives? A few under the table brown envelopes stuffed with cash, methinks.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's been well-documented.

There's also the issue of the European leagues having to be rejigged so they'll end in Winter. Plus, an alcohol ban. Can't have a World Cup there... :nono

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:

There's also the issue of the European leagues having to be rejigged so they'll end in Winter. Plus, an alcohol ban. Can't have a World Cup there... :nono

The alcohol ban trumps the human rights record... at least it would do if I was attending.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Kieran said:

The alcohol ban trumps the human rights record... at least it would do if I was attending.

It will for most fans. I wonder if there's a procedure in place to remove the tourney from Qatar.

By the way, Beijing got the Olympics, and they're no better. An argument was put forward that trying to include them in the global community might encourage them to improve their human rights record. I'm not sure that argument holds water...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
its the biggest rip off bribe damaged con shambles of all time. I feel sick.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"The 2022 bid committee strictly adhered to Fifa’s bidding regulations in compliance with their code of ethics"

Ethics being... Envelopes brown. Lots of money inside.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
"The 2022 bid committee strictly adhered to Fifa’s bidding regulations in compliance with their code of ethics"

Ethics being... Envelopes brown. Lots of money inside.

:idea: they forgot to mention that fifa's code of ethics is..no ethics at all whatsoever. :s

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's kinda getting murkier and murkier with FIFA. Yesterday they released a report based upon an investigation carried out by the lawyer, Michael Garcia, and they drew the conclusion that “the effects of these occurrences on the bidding process as a whole were far from reaching any threshold that would require returning to the bidding process, let alone reopening it.”

Today, Michael Garcia has claimed the report is erroneous: the report "contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions".

Then we read that any evidence for Russia's bid for the 2018 tournament has been destroyed, because the Russians used borrowed computers, and when they returned the computers to their owners, the details were deleted. :cover

I think it's going to take a mass rebellion by participating countries to stop the WC taking place in Qatar - but it's impossible to imagine this happening. The whole thing stinks of fish...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the last time anything stank out the joint worse than quatar bribing erm I mean winning hosting rights for wc2022...

...was in 1933 when king kong saw fay wray without her lipgloss on and was so traumatised that the oversized ape farted out a huge soft turd that was so large all the foliage and birds within a 15miles radius died through exposure to the dreadful stink.