Professional Tennis Players Association - Opinions?

So far, which do you agree with?

• This is a good move for the players

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • It is not well-defined as to what it is

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • They should include the women, eventually

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Leaving out the women in the first declaration was a mistake

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • They should not include the women

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The ATP players' council functions fine as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Schwartzman on the PTPA, that was on twitter 5 mins ago.

"I want to be clear.I don't want to fight against the ATP.We want to have a voice.Novak and Vasek want to be in the council because there we have a voice".The PTPA will still fight for player's rights.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak and Vasek left the original structure which was not favorable for the players to represent their interest within ATP,so they resigned and started a new one PTPA,now they want to get back on the council so they can have a voice there as well?

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Novak and Vasek left the original structure which was not favorable for the players to represent their interest within ATP,so they resigned and started a new one PTPA,now they want to get back on the council so they can have a voice there as well?
Yeah I saw that, I think the players wanted them back because the new council voted to reduce the prize money for the qualifiers and the first rounds and increase the prize money for the finalists and winners.

As Diego mentioned, they wanted them back because they represent the voice of the players which they are not getting from the current players council who are just self-serving and making decisions that are actually bad for the players in the short term. Ptpa is not a magical organization that will be successful from day 1. Its a union and the establishment will try their best to suppress it as best as it can, it will succeed though in the long run

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I do have a issue with Novak and Vasek trying to go back to the Council would there not be a 'conflict of issues' seeing that is why they left to form PTPA in the first place?

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I do have a issue with Novak and Vasek trying to go back to the Council would there not be a 'conflict of issues' seeing that is why they left to form PTPA in the first place?
I don't think they are trying to go back as you mention. If I remember correctly, the procedure is that the players in the tour nominate some council members who then stand for election. I think the lower-ranked players nominated Djokovic and Pospisil because they believe these people represent their best interests which is perfectly fine I feel. This just shows how strong they are. (Link).
1605747124171.png

1605747953493.png

1605747979242.png

1605747994063.png

1605748017875.png

See that image and how blatantly the media has spun it and how nobody covered the tweet from Elias where the current council reduced money from the qualifiers and 1st rounds and increased prize money for the later rounds. That has to be a red flag showing that the current players council dont stand for the players

Do not believe any of the spins of the media, remember the conflicts of interests etc present right now. They will support the establishment because that is where they get their slice of the pie from. I don't think you can trust those news articles take because they only show 1 light

The screenshot of the tweet for your reference

EmKVz-NVMAY161Q

In March/April Novak approached the ATP executives about helping lower-ranked players struggling with the freeze and was rejected. In April he organised a relief fund for lower-ranked players himself with the top players helping lower ranked players. The need for an organization exclusively of players became evident because of that. In August the PTPA was launched. Players received threatening letters from the ATP, but they still signed it anyway. Gaudenzi asked Novak&Vasek to resign from the Player Council as a result which they did.

The remaining players in the council (which includes Murray) now voted to decrease the prize-money for qualies and initial rounds and increase it for later rounds. In effect taking money from the lower-ranked to give it to the higher-ranked (which is coincidently themselves). This didn't go down well with the players and Gastao Elias complained publicly

In the meantime, the PTPA was trying to work with the ATP. When a new council had to be elected, players nominate candidates to form the new council and then vote. That's the system that has worked and has always existed. So that's what they did, a large number of them nominated Vasek&Novak showing their full support. *After* they did, the ATP added a new rule stipulating that players involved with PTPA could not be nominated. So players are not allowed to nominate who represents them in the Player Council, let alone be allowed to vote: they cannot even nominate their candidates.

The ATP cannot afford a vote, they are very happy with a Player Council voting with the tournaments against players' interests. The fact remains that players are not being allowed to choose their representatives' thanks to a rule hastily introduced They couldn't even risk a vote, so they had to act like a totalitarian regime, denying their members the right to vote for their representatives. And many of the same people who are applauding the triumph of democracy are on the side of the totalitarians.

I think the rule vindicates the PTPA. If it was true that Novak and Vasek are unpopular, they should let him run for the nomination and lose. Let players vote decide the matter. If it was true that the PTPA is irrelevant, why take any notice of it and introduce such a rule

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think they are trying to go back as you mention. If I remember correctly, the procedure is that the players in the tour nominate some council members who then stand for election. I think the lower-ranked players nominated Djokovic and Pospisil because they believe these people represent their best interests which is perfectly fine I feel. This just shows how strong they are. (Link).
View attachment 4246
View attachment 4247
View attachment 4248
View attachment 4249
View attachment 4250

See that image and how blatantly the media has spun it and how nobody covered the tweet from Elias where the current council reduced money from the qualifiers and 1st rounds and increased prize money for the later rounds. That has to be a red flag showing that the current players council dont stand for the players

Do not believe any of the spins of the media, remember the conflicts of interests etc present right now. They will support the establishment because that is where they get their slice of the pie from. I don't think you can trust those news articles take because they only show 1 light

The screenshot of the tweet for your reference

EmKVz-NVMAY161Q

In March/April Novak approached the ATP executives about helping lower-ranked players struggling with the freeze and was rejected. In April he organised a relief fund for lower-ranked players himself with the top players helping lower ranked players. The need for an organization exclusively of players became evident because of that. In August the PTPA was launched. Players received threatening letters from the ATP, but they still signed it anyway. Gaudenzi asked Novak&Vasek to resign from the Player Council as a result which they did.

The remaining players in the council (which includes Murray) now voted to decrease the prize-money for qualies and initial rounds and increase it for later rounds. In effect taking money from the lower-ranked to give it to the higher-ranked (which is coincidently themselves). This didn't go down well with the players and Gastao Elias complained publicly

In the meantime, the PTPA was trying to work with the ATP. When a new council had to be elected, players nominate candidates to form the new council and then vote. That's the system that has worked and has always existed. So that's what they did, a large number of them nominated Vasek&Novak showing their full support. *After* they did, the ATP added a new rule stipulating that players involved with PTPA could not be nominated. So players are not allowed to nominate who represents them in the Player Council, let alone be allowed to vote: they cannot even nominate their candidates.

The ATP cannot afford a vote, they are very happy with a Player Council voting with the tournaments against players' interests. The fact remains that players are not being allowed to choose their representatives' thanks to a rule hastily introduced They couldn't even risk a vote, so they had to act like a totalitarian regime, denying their members the right to vote for their representatives. And many of the same people who are applauding the triumph of democracy are on the side of the totalitarians.

I think the rule vindicates the PTPA. If it was true that Novak and Vasek are unpopular, they should let him run for the nomination and lose. Let players vote decide the matter. If it was true that the PTPA is irrelevant, why take any notice of it and introduce such a rule
Well it will be up to the current members to vote them back,oh well we shall see I guess.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Well it will be up to the current members to vote them back,oh well we shall see I guess.
But you saw the rule change right, they cannot be part of the council anymore. Read that answer he gave

You also agree right that is it totalitarian that the players are not allowed to vote for the people they think represent them best

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But you saw the rule change right, they cannot be part of the council anymore. Read that answer he gave

You also agree right that is it totalitarian that the players are not allowed to vote for the people they think represent them best
Oops I missed the rule change? sorry.I think in any union or association you can vote for the person you feel will best represent their needs etc.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic and Pospisil, in spite of starting a new player's union, get nominated for the ATP player's council, then get blocked by ATP. This seems to be getting ugly.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic and Pospisil, in spite of starting a new player's union, get nominated for the ATP player's council, then get blocked by ATP. This seems to be getting ugly.

That was brought up on the tennis players association blog yesterday.....

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What did they say about it?
It was just me and tennisville discussing,I thought it could be a conflict of interests when Novak and Vasek wanted to come back to the ATP council after they left to form the new association,,though apparently some players wanted them back-----then the ATP blocked them coming back.I wait to see what will happen next.I posted a post from Diego on the blog he apparently is behind the new association and for Novak and Vasek to go back to the ATP players council.Go and read it on the players association blog.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was just me and tennisville discussing,I thought it could be a conflict of interests when Novak and Vasek wanted to come back to the ATP council after they left to form the new association,,though apparently some players wanted them back-----then the ATP blocked them coming back.I wait to see what will happen next.I posted a post from Diego on the blog he apparently is behind the new association and for Novak and Vasek to go back to the ATP players council.Go and read it on the players association blog.
Sorry, you mean I different thread on this forum. I thought you meant that the players' council actually had a blog.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
The lack of coverage by the media on the 30-year plan of the ATP is shocking. The players want to delay the vote but there is no transparency.

Truly goes to show that in this world, if you have the money you can sacrifice the lower-ranked players to make even more money. This world really is a terrible place.

Friendly reminder that the media complained that there was no vision or any action seen from the PTA last fall. This lack of coverage seems so hypocritical now when the PTPA is calling the ATP out. You cannot say there is no action and thus call it out but stay silent when there is action

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I found this interesting news to come out of the PIPA conference is that Novak has spoken with Serena Williams,most recently in Paris,but also with Alexia Ohanian who,Djokvic says is committed to related issues eg, players rights and representation.

Reactions: tennisville