Police in America

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And for the last 15 (or so) years, here in the USA, when the crime was committed by a person of color, the media doesn't mention race. Whenever it is committed by a Caucasian, the media will mention it.

News is covered here based on whether it fits the narrative the media wants to convey. Last night in Columbus, OH, a Somali man entered a Jewish owned establishment and began hacking people to bits with a machete. ABC News dd not mention that the man was Somali and stated several times that there was no known motive.

I would be interested in knowing if anything more came of this story.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, extraordinary in its brutality. They will be charged criminally in all likelihood.
I certainly hope so! Watching that, it's quite clear that they weren't trying to subdue him. They flat out wanted to cause him pain. I do hope they've been sacked already, whether they go to jail should be the only question now

Last edited:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/01/the-county-kern-county-deadliest-police-killings

Thought this link was interesting, but couldn't find a thread that would specifically suit it. In any case, this topic probably merits a thread all of it's own. I've never had any issues going to the United States, but I have to confess, the more I see the more I don't like

you are merely slowly waking up to the TRUE nature of the USA.

I RECALL many years ago...in the mid-nineties -- while in those days of having ''fun" and drinking with buddies around columbia university -

u know -- a somehwat ''bohemaian life" -

grad students from around the area...musicians, those in columiba doing management and accounting , politics....etc..

I used to joke to them:

"hey - guys - you might of course thknk we musicians don't know anything because you're all such hotshots to become wall street executives, lawyers, politicians, etc..right? you know everythng about how BRIGHT the future will be - and how GREAT and wonderful and full of freedom and choice this america of yours is, right?

i propose to you -- that all you have to do is look around you -- the things ou THINK ARE SUCH Wonderful proof of yoru greatness and your freedoms -- your ''law and order" in particular -- are ALL WRITINGS ON THE WALL tha tyou are in reality nothing

but a gigantic PRISON -- with glamorous facade of freedom and democracy and human rights and fairness and justice...

the day will come -- when that wall street of yours that you brag about as producing such wonderful wealth for the earth? -- that will IMPLODE one of these days to reveal the Ponzi scheme THAT IS the foundation of your ENTIRE economic power and wealth...

and the day might come when all the country needs are a few ''foreign attacks" which is how they'll call it -- something DRAMATIC to FOOL all of you into complying with whatever your rulers want -- which are in reality FASCISTS behind the appearance of democracy -- just watch ...i have a feeling that's where you , this country is ACCELEARTING towards".

they of cousre laughed at me for knowing nothing --

\"heh -- you'r just a musician go and play your piano and rachmaninoff".

that was - in those days -- mid-90'\s

and i was right.

and i am STLL right that the supposed "'america is now IMPROVING" --

IS YET ANOTHER FRAUD to pacify americans nto compliance with EVER MORE REDUCTIONS of even what they BELIEVE in the illusions of being a \'free country".

roflmao.

the uinited states of america -- folks

is - and always has bene a FASCIST -- MONEY AND WAR RACKETEERING GANGSTER NATION.

and like verything i had predicted many , mnay years ago -- i am ALSO correct in this -- including -- how it will SMACK AMERICANS right in their tuckus

before they realize what EASY PREY they always hae been for their own rulers. roflmao.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Download the application RT News
QUESTION MORE
live
  • search
  • Menu mobile

Police raid UEFA HQ as Panama Papers scandal spreads
HomeNews
US among world leaders in death penalty, surpassed only by Saudi, Iran & Pakistan – Amnesty
Published time: 6 Apr, 2016 11:26
5704c72dc46188d1268b4578.jpg

© Trent Nelson / Salt Lake Tribune / Reuters
With 28 killings in 2015, the US is the only country in the Americas and among OSCE members to be on the list of top executioners published by Amnesty International, coming right after Saudi Arabia, Iran and Pakistan.
At least 1,634 people were put to death in 25 countries in 2015, Amnesty International said. Saudi Arabia, Iran and Pakistan account for nearly 90 percent of those.

The US, it appears, had more executions than Iraq last year – 28 in six states: Texas (13), Missouri (6), Georgia (5), Florida (2), Oklahoma (1) and Virginia (1).

Last year, at least 2,851 people were under sentence of death in America, including 746 in California, 389 in Florida, 250 in Texas, 185 in Alabama and 181 in Pennsylvania, according to the report.

“While the 2015 figure was the lowest number of executions recorded in a single year since 1991, the decrease was in part linked to legal challenges that resulted in the revision of lethal injection protocols or problems faced by states in obtaining lethal injection chemicals,” the human rights watchdog explained.

5704c797c46188d1268b457c.jpg

© amnesty.org
Thirty-two US states still retain the death sentence. Texas carried out almost half of all executions in 2015.

The state of Virginia carried out its first execution since 2013, while two states – Arizona and Ohio – had to put executions on hold because of issues concerning lethal injections.

“The USA continued to use the death penalty in ways that contravene international law and standards, including on people with mental and intellectual disabilities,” Amnesty said in its annual report on the use of capital punishment.

Amnesty cited the case of Warren Hill, who was executed by the state of Georgia despite the fact that all experts who had assessed him, including those provided by the state, agreed that he had an intellectual disability. “His execution amounted to the arbitrary deprivation of life in violation of Article 6 of the ICCPR [the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights], to which the USA is a state party,” Amnesty said.

The report also mentioned the case of the 74-year-old Cecil Clayton, who was diagnosed with dementia and a psychotic disorder, but was executed in Missouri in March.

In August the governor of North Carolina signed into law House Bill 774, aimed at the resumption of executions in the state. The law allows for the participation of medical professionals other than a physician in executions, against ethical codes relevant to the profession, the report said, adding that it also allows the authorities to keep confidential any identifying information of any person or entity involved in the manufacture, preparation or supply of drugs used for lethal injection. Legislators in Texas also voted in favour of a law to allow for secrecy on the providers of chemicals, Amnesty said.

Pre-trial proceedings against six detainees at the US naval base at Guantanamo, Cuba, did not go unnoticed. The US government intends to seek the death penalty if convicted for all six men, five of whom were charged with plotting the 9/11 attacks. “Proceedings before the military commission do not meet international fair trial standards and the imposition of the death penalty in their cases would constitute arbitrary deprivation of life,” Amnesty stressed in the report.

Huge increases in killings in Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia executed at least 158 people (four women and 154 men), the highest number of executions recorded in the country since 1995, Amnesty International said. Eighty-four of the executions were for murder, 64 for drug-related offences, six for kidnapping, torture and/or rape, and four for armed robbery.

“Saudi Arabia continued to carry out executions, mostly by beheading but some also by a firing squad, in public and, in some cases, to display executed bodies after death in public,” according to the report. The authorities often failed to inform those under sentence of death and their families of their imminent execution or to return the bodies of those executed to their families, Amnesty said, adding that the situation was plagued by the “flawed nature of Saudi Arabian legal and judicial safeguards.” According to the report, the authorities frequently failed to apply both national laws and international human rights law standards during trials, and commonly denied detainees the right to a lawyer and to a meaningful appeal. “One of the most significant concerns remained the fact that 'confessions' extracted under torture, duress or coercion were often the sole evidence in death penalty cases.”

Saudi Arabia continued to use the death penalty disproportionately on foreign nationals, the majority of whom were migrant workers with no knowledge of Arabic (the language in which they were questioned while in detention and in which trial proceedings were carried out). Foreign nationals were often denied adequate interpretation assistance. Their country’s embassies and consulates were not promptly informed of their arrest, or even of their executions. In 2015, 73 out of the 158, or 46 percent, of executions recorded by Amnesty International in Saudi Arabia were of foreign nationals.

Executions in Asia-Pacific

Amnesty International reported a “sharp increase” in the number of recorded executions in the Asia-Pacific region, with Pakistan accounting for as much as 89 percent of the total (excluding China). Bangladesh, India and Indonesia resumed implementation of the death penalty in 2015, raising the number of executing countries from 9 in 2014 to 12 in 2015.

The human rights watchdog said it received credible information indicating that Pakistan executed at least five men who were under 18 years of age at the time of the crime. “Pakistan carried out executions at an alarming rate in 2015, joining the leading executioners China and Iran.”

Amnesty recorded 326 executions, including 305 for murder in the South Asian country last year. Pakistan had lifted a moratorium on executions in December 2014 to allow for executions for terrorism-related offences. Many of those executed in 2015 had been convicted by the so-called Anti-Terrorism Courts, Amnesty said.

China remained the world’s top executioner, according to Amnesty International. Although it was not possible to establish specific figures for executions there, given the classification of death penalty figures as state secrets, the report said executions in the country were still in the thousands in 2015.

Three executions were carried out in Japan last year, the same number as in 2014. The authorities continued to implement death sentences in secret, announcing executions only after they had occurred, Amnesty said.

At least seven new death sentences were imposed in Thailand. The Department of Corrections reported that at the end of the year 413 people were on death row, of whom 55 percent had been convicted of drug-related offences. This percentage is much higher among the female death row population, where 80 percent of the 50 women under sentence of death had drug-related convictions.

Capital punishment in the Middle East

Egypt executed at least 22 people in 2015, and courts in the country sentenced at least 538 people to death. Many of the death sentences followed trials that were unfair, Amnesty said.

Iran carried out at least 977 executions in 2015. The Iranian authorities announced 400 executions through official and semi-official sources. “However, credible sources confirmed that at least 577 more executions took place, in addition to those officially announced,” the report said, adding that at least 16 women and at least four juvenile offenders were executed. At least 58 executions known to Amnesty International were carried out publicly. The majority of executions carried out in 2015 were for drug-related offences. At least 160 juvenile offenders were on death row at the end of 2015. Some of them had been in prison for more than a decade, according to the report.

At least 26 executions were carried out in Iraq, three of which took place in the Kurdistan Region. These were the first executions carried out in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq since 2008, Amnesty said. At least 89 death sentences were imposed for offences that included terrorism, murder and kidnapping. Those sentenced to death were mostly Iraqi nationals but also included some foreign nationals.

New York Special: People in Heavy Credit Card Debt May Not K…Freedom Debt Reliefcomments (24)

sseney Aligidir1 minute ago
Oh, our twisted worlds biggest and ruthless club it's called the "killing humans as daily profit" this is the biggest and most evil job in the world for over centuries since man kind invented weapons and used them to take and invade other human beings properties by force.
by Habib52 minutes ago
Here question is not about Death Penalty but how severe the crime was that person had to put to death before his time. Here I do not condone putting someone to death because of someone's religious believes or freedom of speech or under any sham and false pretext. To me collateral damage is also a capital punishment without any crime, sanctions are also a kind of capital punishment for the entire country. Here I only ask folks not to confine capital punishment only to individual heinous crimes but also collective crimes committed by head of governments based on supremacy by using their military power.
+1
+2

Angelo Garizzi52 minutes ago
Forgive my English. I thought the title meant Hillary, Bush, Obama and many others were deserving of death...
+0

Laud Lookun53 minutes ago
I think these countries are very naughty.
+1

Really more...
You forgot about the 500,000 children under 5 murdered by USA in Iraq and Madeleine Albright said "It was a price worth paying".
Context
+0

Thrilla InManilla57 minutes ago
I am pro capital punishment.
ud Lookun1 hour ago
Looks like you are only allowed to condemn with regards to this web page story as anything else is personally moderated.

Benny Morris> fkaz161 hour ago

fkaz16
Well, you live in Russia, you know better than we do.
The death penalty does not operate in Russia as there is a morotorium! Russia is a humane civilized country and has not executed anyone since 1996. The last person to be executed was Sergey Golovkin in 1996, who was a serial killer and he was shot in the neck with a pistol. USA just incarcerates more people than any other nation on earth and kills people on every continent.

Romanda Marchero1 hour ago
Last month, the Washington DC-based Physicians for Social Responsibility (PRS) released a landmark study concluding that the death toll from 10 years of the “War on Terror” since the 9/11 attacks is at least 1.3 million, and could be as high as 2 million
+0

Kakou Ton> Alro Higgins1 hour ago

Alro Higgins
Interesting. US had 28 executions. Iran had almost 1,000. China had even more but it keeps its numbers a secret.

Really more...
Interesting. US always talks too much about human rights and stuff like that, but being in the top 5 countries of deaths penalties. US is king of hypocrisy without a doubt.
Context

TheWhiteBaron1 hour ago
Thailand isn't mentioned on the chart! Yet has death by lethal injection!

Jonathan Davies1 hour ago
China doesn't even get a mention in this article even though their on 1000+ executions...
fkaz16> Richard Townsend1 hour ago

Richard Townsend
Think about this the next time your travel agent tries to sell you an all expense paid junket to some more...
Like there was negotiation with Cuba, right?
It depends for whom to negotiate.
Context
+0
rt-default-avatar.png

fkaz161 hour ago
Message deleted
Well, you live in Russia, you know better than we do.
Context
+0

Patriot1 hour ago
Yes, we execute those that deserve much worse. Unfortunately we allow so many appeals it is designed to purely create jobs for our fellow lawyers.
+0
iF THEY add all the executions the US are responsible for in Afganistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya they would surpass China with quadruple digits. Not to mention these civilians were murdered without even being accused of anything , let alone stand trail for being born in a certain country.

Think about this the next time your travel agent tries to sell you an all expense paid junket to some of these countries and don't forget that the U.S. State Department has a firm policy of not negotiating with various groups and countries even when an American Citizen's life is in jeopardy !
+0
show more

logo-bottom.png
© Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “TV-Novosti”, 2005–2016. All rights reserved.

lg.php

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
IT SHOULD also be noted:

the USA KIDNAPS foreign nationals from anywhere on earth -- ''renditions" them tp american jails with no representation or visit by their countrie's representatives allowed...

all based on trumped up charges -- presenting no evidence , just accusations.

that is the present case with TWO RUSSIAN NATIONALS KIDNAPPED OUTSIDE THE usa -- one \''accused" of ''corruption" - another for 'drug smuggling" in africa as a comercial pilot.

in CONTRAST

RUSSIA which has always been the target of the USA FOR ITS NOTORIOUS ''COLOR REVOLUTIONS" AND ''regime change for democracy and human rights"--
AND - not leas tduring the 1990's former american ''agents' themselves admitted

"we DID try to sabotage russia in order to carve her down to smaller pieces for us to control -- all that land , resources..that's really why they hate PUTIN and russia as a threat -- to our designs..."....

captures and exposes dozens jupon dozens of cia and other american saboteurs -- - questons them -- takes the evidence - presents them to the USA -- AND RETURNS THEM to the USA.

ONE WAS so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hilarious -- even ordinary russian citizens found it so comical at how americans TRY to sabotage their country - such as wearing women's clothes, pretending to hold a baby -- that turned out with hidden cameras and listening devices with just a plastic doll...and DID turn out to be CIA..ROFLMAO...

whose results of course are the failed states of what ONCE were stable peaceful ones -- no matter how the west and america do not judge their political and social systems ''not free enough" --

like LIBYA which became the hotbed of terrorist AFTER the USA-LED invasion and destruction of gtaddafi to grab HIS country's gold and stop the move away from the DOLLAR...(HILLARY'S wdonerful , splindid little war) --

or afghanistan, yemen, pakistan, georgia (right in the southern ''underbelly" of russia) -
of course the TROPHY of ukraine that NO EUROPEANS really want to be part of EU...

or the imploding BALTIC economies that followed american economic prescriptions..
or just about any country the USA has BLESSED with ''democracy"...

it is funny that americans actually think -- \'\we are making the improvements"...

yah right.

if imporvement is to PAINT A PIG'S FACE to make it look like a beauty queen.

i am now --after decades of closely observing american MENTALITY --

despite my previous REFUSAL to do it --

concluding

americans -- as a polity =-- are INDEED just as many n the rest of the world have said for decades...

"people who are intellectually and morally DISHONEST".

ABOVE ALL -- TO THEMSELVES.

NO WONDER WINSTON CURCHILL once quipped:

"no one ever lost a penny betting on the STUPIDITY of americans".

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It is, in fact, unbelievable. What made that guy on the ground look scary other than that he was black, and the cop was profiling him? It seems that a lot of our demons are coming to roost in the US. Trump ginning up racist and coded language isn't helping. He plays fast and loose with brown shirt rhetoric, in a time when things require more delicate handling.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^sadly I don't think this changes anything. If Tamir Rice didn't then why would this?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It is, in fact, unbelievable. What made that guy on the ground look scary other than that he was black, and the cop was profiling him? It seems that a lot of our demons are coming to roost in the US. Trump ginning up racist and coded language isn't helping. He plays fast and loose with brown shirt rhetoric, in a time when things require more delicate handling.

I am no fan of Trump by any means but I don't think we can blame what's happening with police brutality vs. blacks on him. There are a lot of police officers out there and there are always going to be some racists in the crowd. And in these stressful situations we are finding that many of them can't repress their prejudices and they assume "black guy, dangerous guy".

I think a big part of the issue is they can get away with everything. They ARE above the law no matter how much people try to say otherwise. If you change that there might not be so many cops that shoot first without thinking of the consequences.

Reactions: Federberg

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
I think a big part of the issue is they can get away with everything. They ARE above the law no matter how much people try to say otherwise. If you change that there might not be so many cops that shoot first without thinking of the consequences.

I'm not sure what some communities would become if the police were really forced to moderate their behavior. American police are certainly much more militarized than they were 30 years ago and altering this behavior seems unlikely given that courts repeatedly side with them. All of the recent killing of blacks by white officers that went to trial were acquitted or charges were completely dropped. Even the racist Obama Justice Department can't seem to find evidence of outward racial animus in white police. Evidence is starting to show that such views by the BLM and others is fabrication. The reality is everyone who doesn't have their head up their arse knows that young minority men (black and Hispanic) commit a disproportionate number of violent crime in America and that the police engage these communities at a higher rate because this is where most of the crimes in this country are committed. Some have even argued that if you take out all the minority community crime statistics from how we report crime in this country and we'd be one of the safest counties in the world.

Now, what we should be focusing on is how our police are more militarized in nearly every aspect of policing. I'll give two examples. First, police now repeatedly use swat teams in the apprehension of non-violent arrest warrants (You never paid your moving violation for a few years and the cops send a SWAT team to your house). Second, the police routinely shoot dogs because they feel threatened. They shot family pets and sometimes even the pets of homes when they go to the wrong house to serve a warrant.

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Well said, you make a bunch of good points. It goes without saying that minorities in poor areas are more likely to be involved in violent crime and therefore there is going to be more of a police presence there. Also, let's be honest about one thing, there are probably some white people and others of other minorities that have been recklessly killed by officers and you will barely if ever hear about it.

But if you're arguing there isn't still a "decent" amount of racism in this country then I disagree. I don't know how many cops there are in this country but it is enough that statistically it is unavoidable that some are going to be racist. Some of these shootings have been completely reckless and are probably based on the cops' prejudices (can't truly be proven though). To me the avoidable part that could help change things is that they currently don't have to answer for anything. If I got pulled over today and got shot 20 times for reaching into my pocket for my license I have no doubt the cop would get off scot-free and that's not an exaggeration. From memory the one cop that shot an unarmed black guy in the back multiple times and then planted a gun on him is the only one that has been charged lately and that's because they had video of him planting the gun after killing him.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I agree that some of the points made were valid. But I have a great deal of discomfort with a lot of the views I hear/read, even on this forum. It is very disturbing to me that whenever one of these incidents is publicised one of the most common themes from white America is raising the issue of black crime. Let's take it as a given that black crime is high. How does that justify the shooting of the black man in the video? What on earth does it have to do with it? What about Philando Castile's shooting? What does his prior history have to do with anything. The man was shot in his car while trying to comply with a police officer! For me the most horrifying thing about that video is that the angle the police officer shot from implies to me that there was a chance that he could also have shot the girl in the back of the car. How do things become so de-humanising that what amounts to an execution can be excused because the dude had some traffic violation tickets? It beggars belief...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I know what you mean. I think the point is that since the crime rate with minorities is much higher the police are often placed in volatile situations and yes oftentimes lethal force may indeed be necessary. This can lead to them carrying around prejudices and assuming the worst even in situations that don't warrant any force whatsoever. This doesn't excuse the senseless deaths in any way, I just don't think we are going to be successful in weeding out "bad cops". If someone wants to be an officer and they are racist they are likely not going to let their bosses know about it or answer questions making it clear that they hold certain prejudices. So the question should be what can be done to help the current issue and clearly there is an issue. To me if I am basically told I can do whatever the f*** I want that is going to affect my behavior in a lot of situations.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's interesting because in the UK, only officers with specialised training in elite teams are permitted to carry weapons. Your point is well made that it would be difficult to weed out racist cops, but one of the ways to start the process is psychological testing. A lot of people who want to join the army are not permitted because they fail a lot of these tests, and the same can be said for other professions. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems as just about anyone can become a police officer in America. It's terrifying.

Another thing that's different in the UK is that the operating premise for cops on the beat is to de-escalate incidents. They are trained to do this. It almost seems as if the opposite is true in the US. Again I might be wrong, but there seems to be no hesitation to perceive a threat when there isn't one. I mean.. I can understand if it's a big black man, there might be some fear, who wouldn't be afraid. But against black women too? I recall the video for the Sarah Bland (?) traffic incident. My thought as I watched it, was this guy calls himself a man?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure what some communities would become if the police were really forced to moderate their behavior. American police are certainly much more militarized than they were 30 years ago and altering this behavior seems unlikely given that courts repeatedly side with them. All of the recent killing of blacks by white officers that went to trial were acquitted or charges were completely dropped. Even the racist Obama Justice Department can't seem to find evidence of outward racial animus in white police. Evidence is starting to show that such views by the BLM and others is fabrication. The reality is everyone who doesn't have their head up their arse knows that young minority men (black and Hispanic) commit a disproportionate number of violent crime in America and that the police engage these communities at a higher rate because this is where most of the crimes in this country are committed. Some have even argued that if you take out all the minority community crime statistics from how we report crime in this country and we'd be one of the safest counties in the world.

Now, what we should be focusing on is how our police are more militarized in nearly every aspect of policing. I'll give two examples. First, police now repeatedly use swat teams in the apprehension of non-violent arrest warrants (You never paid your moving violation for a few years and the cops send a SWAT team to your house). Second, the police routinely shoot dogs because they feel threatened. They shot family pets and sometimes even the pets of homes when they go to the wrong house to serve a warrant.

If that's an example of their behaviour then of course they need moderating. There is ZERO justification in that particular example. The officer should be charged and sentenced.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^I agree that some of the points made were valid. But I have a great deal of discomfort with a lot of the views I hear/read, even on this forum. It is very disturbing to me that whenever one of these incidents is publicised one of the most common themes from white America is raising the issue of black crime. Let's take it as a given that black crime is high. How does that justify the shooting of the black man in the video? What on earth does it have to do with it? What about Philando Castile's shooting? What does his prior history have to do with anything. The man was shot in his car while trying to comply with a police officer! For me the most horrifying thing about that video is that the angle the police officer shot from implies to me that there was a chance that he could also have shot the girl in the back of the car. How do things become so de-humanising that what amounts to an execution can be excused because the dude had some traffic violation tickets? It beggars belief...

Federberg, the main problem in this conversation is the prevalence of unathletic, rhthymically challenged, misinformed white nerds like yourself. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, btw, the policeman who shot Philando Castile was Mexican. He wasn't white.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New study from a black economist at Harvard indicates just how clueless Federberg and Moxie are on this question. Unathletic white nerds have no right to ever talk about this issue. Zero. They are so different from black males that they could not even begin to comprehend what the problems are:

"In shootings in these 10 cities involving officers, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were equally likely to have been carrying a weapon. Both results undercut the idea of racial bias in police use of lethal force.

But police shootings are only part of the picture. What about situations in which an officer might be expected to fire, but doesn’t?

To answer this, Mr. Fryer focused on one city, Houston. The Police Department there let the researchers look at reports not only for shootings but also for arrests when lethal force might have been justified. Mr. Fryer defined this group to include encounters with suspects the police subsequently charged with serious offenses like attempting to murder an officer, or evading or resisting arrest. He also considered suspects shocked with Tasers.

Mr. Fryer found that in such situations, officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot if the suspects were black. This estimate was not precise, and firmer conclusions would require more data. But in various models controlling for different factors and using different definitions of tense situations, Mr. Fryer found that blacks were either less likely to be shot or there was no difference between blacks and whites."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...e-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New study from a black economist at Harvard indicates just how clueless Federberg and Moxie are on this question.

Amazing that a study was even done as to how clueless Federberg and I are.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New study from a black economist at Harvard indicates just how clueless Federberg and Moxie are on this question. Unathletic white nerds have no right to ever talk about this issue. Zero. They are so different from black males that they could not even begin to comprehend what the problems are:

Yet, you seem to be fine having an opinion on it yourself.

Reactions: Moxie