Passing On Point of #1 Mantle

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Was just watching the '83 USO women's final with Navratilova and Evert Lloyd! Martina had already started her absolute dominance of the WTA 2 years before, but Chris was still hanging on, actually thinking she had a chance to make more of a mark on the game! Evert had 6 USO at the time, but with 5 straight losses to her rival, she got the crowd to feel sorry for her! Even Chris was in total denial when asked how she felt about losing those last 5 to Martina and she retorted back that it was "the last 3!" I found that funny to hear a player say something like that to a reporter or commentator who know the record! Where was her mind? Well I digress: we all know Martina annihilated Chris 6-1, 6-3 and officially and without a doubt took over the mantle of #1! If Evert had any further doubts, it should have been re-enforced when Navratilova continued her dominance to 13 matches through 1985; that including a total arse-kickin' at the French Open the following year in '84! On Chris' beloved clay, she was toyed with and dismissed 3-6, 1-6! What examples of the changing "of the guard" do you feel took place on the men's or ladies' tour?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Mac beating Borg at the USO in 1981 is an example, where he rubberstamped his Wimbledon victory with an even cleaner win in New York.

Steffi beat Martina at Wimbledon in 1988, and I think that marked the end of Martina as a #1, though I may have gotten the dates wrong...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa and Roger played a little match at Wimbledon in 2008 (?) which a few people have mentioned here and there.

;)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
Mac beating Borg at the USO in 1981 is an example, where he rubberstamped his Wimbledon victory with an even cleaner win in New York.

Steffi beat Martina at Wimbledon in 1988, and I think that marked the end of Martina as a #1, though I may have gotten the dates wrong...

Steffi officially took over #1 just before the '87 USO, but Martina beat her in straight sets nullifying that change in status IMO! As much bad luck as Martina had in this tourney, she only lost one to Graf in '89! Navratilova's most emotional win had to be a few years later in '91 when she went on a late "tear" to the final beating Meleeva, Sanchez-V, and then Graf in 3 sets with multiple tie-breakers! Seles ended Martina's run there in "straights" and in the YEC in 4 sets! :angel:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
Rafa and Roger played a little match at Wimbledon in 2008 (?) which a few people have mentioned here and there.

But that wasn't exactly a "sea change" to the rankings for good! Nadal has been up and down since '08! Even Nole taking #1 away from him a couple times!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Was just watching the '83 USO women's final with Navratilova and Evert Lloyd! Martina had already started her absolute dominance of the WTA 2 years before, but Chris was still hanging on, actually thinking she had a chance to make more of a mark on the game! Evert had 6 USO at the time, but with 5 straight losses to her rival, she got the crowd to feel sorry for her! Even Chris was in total denial when asked how she felt about losing those last 5 to Martina and she retorted back that it was "the last 3!" I found that funny to hear a player say something like that to a reporter or commentator who know the record! Where was her mind? Well I digress: we all know Martina annihilated Chris 6-1, 6-3 and officially and without a doubt took over the mantle of #1! If Evert had any further doubts, it should have been re-enforced when Navratilova continued her dominance to 13 matches through 1985; that including a total arse-kickin' at the French Open the following year in '84! On Chris' beloved clay, she was toyed with and dismissed 3-6, 1-6! What examples of the changing "of the guard" do you feel took place on the men's or ladies' tour?

Yeah, but you forget to mention that Chris beat Navratilova in Paris in 85 & 86 and at the AO in 88.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
britbox said:
Fiero425 said:

Yeah, but you forget to mention that Chris beat Navratilova in Paris in 85 & 86 and at the AO in 88.

Hardly! I didn't forget anything! I'm quite aware she caught back up to Martina, but Evert was far from being the dominant player she had been before! It went from Evert to Martina to Graf, then Seles! Martina surprised everyone by going into '91 USO, 5th ranked and seeded 6th, but raced to the final taking out Graf in the semi; there wasn't another sea change because of that one loss! Big deal right?! :puzzled :nono :angel:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Navratilova lost no1 rank for last time summer1987..august I think. (not checked so if wrong..)

1987 graf was picking up rank points missed summer 86 when she missed Wimbledon, graf won her 1st major at French open in 1987 def Navratilova after Navratilova was serving for the title..

Navratilova bt graf in wimby and usopen finals 1987.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:

wasn't a changing of the guard though was it..:huh:

Federer won 5 majors after this defeat and was no1 rank twice more, he didn't even lose his no1 rank after this defeat.

;)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
tented said:

But that wasn't exactly a "sea change" to the rankings for good! Nadal has been up and down since '08! Even Nole taking #1 away from him a couple times!

I agree, I don't think there has been a dominant player in men's tennis since 2007. First it was Roger and Rafa and then Nole joined them in 2011. They all took turns in being #1 and nobody could maintain it for two straight years (maybe Nole did in 2011 and 2012).

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I didn't realize that " ;) " = the most misunderstood emoticon.

Also:
- I forgot Rafa didn't become No. 1 by winning the '08 Wimbledon final
- I forgot he hasn't remained No. 1 since first assuming that ranking
- I forgot Federer and Djokovic have been No. 1 since '08
- I forgot Federer, Djokovic, Murray, JMDP, and Wawrinka have all won Majors since '08
- I forget what else I've forgotten / there are unknown unknowns

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
Navratilova lost no1 rank for last time summer1987..august I think. (not checked so if wrong..)

1987 graf was picking up rank points missed summer 86 when she missed Wimbledon, graf won her 1st major at French open in 1987 def Navratilova after Navratilova was serving for the title..

Navratilova bt graf in wimby and usopen finals 1987.

That was the strangest year for Martina! She was making final after final from Jan. to June, but hadn't even come close to winning! I didn't see it, but I heard she was up 5-0 in the Eastbourne final in '87 and still lost in straight sets to Sukova; the same player that stopped her legitimate Grand Slam in '84 by beating her in 3 sets in the Aussie semi at the end of the year! Martina saved her season by winning Wimbledon and The USO, but she was almost DONE by then giving way to the dominance of Graf and Seles to come! It just came out of nowhere; the decline! She did turn pro in '73 before she was even 18 so I give her a bit of a break! The mental strain of being almost perfect from '82 to '87 had to be crippling! She could overpower people, but she still had some competition in Evert, Mandlikova, Shriver, and a surging Graf! Hana probably the most talented, but too much of a head case and underachieved by a lot, only winning 4 majors!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
tented said:
I didn't realize that " ;) " = the most misunderstood emoticon.

I don't understand what ;) means here exactly, I think it is not a wide grin or smile, but I am not sure even though I use it sometimes. Usually I use it when I don't want to express a big big smile, but just a little one. Who knows!:laydownlaughing

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak beating Rafa at Wimbledon in 2011 was one of those transitions, a rubberstamp moment where the inevitable came to pass, and it was also maybe Novak's best performance in a major final.

Nothing lasts forever, so Rafa getting to the top in 2008 came to an end through injury in 2009, but still, his win against Roger at Wimbledon struck the blow which said that Rafa would beat Roger anywhere, but Roger was being limited to crumbs and leftovers in his wins against Rafa. In the majors, that year marked the first where Roger would be unable to register a victory against his younger rival. The Wimbledon match, and then the win in Oz in 2009, were clearly markers in the sand...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:

Righteous.. That was the biggest passing of the torch I have seen since Borg and McEnroe..

;)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Novak beating Rafa at Wimbledon in 2011 was one of those transitions, a rubberstamp moment where the inevitable came to pass, and it was also maybe Novak's best performance in a major final.

Nothing lasts forever, so Rafa getting to the top in 2008 came to an end through injury in 2009, but still, his win against Roger at Wimbledon struck the blow which said that Rafa would beat Roger anywhere, but Roger was being limited to crumbs and leftovers in his wins against Rafa. In the majors, that year marked the first where Roger would be unable to register a victory against his younger rival. The Wimbledon match, and then the win in Oz in 2009, were clearly markers in the sand...

However, Rafa was able to reclaim the #1 mantle and hold on to it for almost a year.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

However, Rafa was able to reclaim the #1 mantle and hold on to it for almost a year.

...before passing it back to NOLE! :nono :clap :puzzled :angel: "Thanks so much for keeping the seat warm for him!" :snigger :laydownlaughing :cool:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

...before passing it back to NOLE! :nono :clap :puzzled :angel: "Thanks so much for keeping the seat warm for him!" :snigger :laydownlaughing :cool:

Two great players in their prime together, what else do you expect?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

Two great players in their prime together, what else do you expect?

Nothing new, but everyone knows how I feel about "part time" players and their seeming lack of respect and responsibility when being #1! No other male star has "run this game" on the tour; a true scam! Serena's been as culpable on the ladies' side! She will end up terribly underachieving because of her inconsistent and thoughtless tenure on the WTA! :nono :puzzled :angel:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Nothing new, but everyone knows how I feel about "part time" players and their seeming lack of respect and responsibility when being #1! No other male star has "run this game" on the tour; a true scam!

I'm not sure what this actually means, can you help me out here?