Break Point (Netflix series)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In case you didn't see it, there's a new five-part Netflix docu-series called "Break Point." Each episode focuses on a different player in a specific tournament last year, as far as I can tell:

1: Nick Kyrgios at the AO (with Thanasi Kokkinakis)
2: Matteo Berrettini at the AO
3: Taylor Fritz at Indian Wells
4: Paula Badosa and Ons Jabeur at Madrid
5: Felix Auger-Aliassime and Casper Ruud at Roland Garros

So clearly the emphasis is on younger players.

I watched the first episode and it was pretty good - kind of fun to see a chubby Kyrgios as a boy. Not great, but worth watching.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
In case you didn't see it, there's a new five-part Netflix docu-series called "Break Point." Each episode focuses on a different player in a specific tournament last year, as far as I can tell:

I watched the first episode and it was pretty good - kind of fun to see a chubby Kyrgios as a boy. Not great, but worth watching.
I’ll check it out. The ones that stick out for me are Taylor Fritz at Indian Wells - he certainly gave them an episode to remember! - and FAA in Paris. I wonder if they followed even more players around, in case their chosen subject dropped a calf in round one?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I’ll check it out. The ones that stick out for me are Taylor Fritz at Indian Wells - he certainly gave them an episode to remember! - and FAA in Paris. I wonder if they followed even more players around, in case their chosen subject dropped a calf in round one?
Haha, maybe. I think they picked players that they felt would sell tennis to a younger crowd - thus the tempestuous Kyrgios and the ridiculously good looking Berrettini, plus an American player in Fritz, etc. Plus, the way they incorporated biography implies that it was really about the players and who they are, less so about accomplishment. Meaning, they probably would have done Kyrgios regardless of whether or not he won the doubles title or not.

I'm wondering if it will be an ongoing series and the fact that the last one is at RG--and only five episodes--implies that there's another five episodes for the second half of the year. Meaning, if it is successful enough, they might have a 10-episode series each year for the previous season. My guess is that it won't be popular enough, though. Streaming services are ruthless these days, as far as cancellation.

Reactions: Kieran

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The 5 episodes that I would done would have been:

1. Sneaky Djokovic deported from Australia
2. Nadal triumphs in Australia to become the undisputed GOAT
3. Nadal wins historic 14th RG despite foot problem
4. Novak Djokovic vultures Wimbledon after Covid withdrawals, Nadal injury, Russian ban.
5. A new star is born: Carlos Alcaraz wins the USO

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The 5 episodes that I would done would have been:

1. Sneaky Djokovic deported from Australia
2. Nadal triumphs in Australia to become the undisputed GOAT
3. Nadal wins historic 14th RG despite foot problem
4. Novak Djokovic vultures Wimbledon after Covid withdrawals, Nadal injury, Russian ban.
5. A new star is born: Carlos Alcaraz wins the USO
This would be funny if there was an implication of self-deprecation, but in actuality it is just kind of sad.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This would be funny if there was an implication of self-deprecation, but in actuality it is just kind of sad.

1673748516747.gif