Officially, Rafa has surpassed Sampras

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14 majors each, Rafa has the career GS, excels better in his fav slam (9 vs 7) and performed considerably better in MS1000; he has moved past Sampras and has only Fed and Laver to close in.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, officially, they're tied, but yeah, on my list, Nadal surpassed Sampras.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
officially his 14 is more significant than Sampras's 14, because he has the whole set and in their respective best slam, he makes an incredible history of 9 RG as compared to Pete's 7 Wimbledon (which Fed tied which makes it not unique). He has more breadth and depth in GS performance overall.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ricardo said:
officially his 14 is more significant than Sampras's 14, because he has the whole set and in their respective best slam, he makes an incredible history of 9 RG as compared to Pete's 7 Wimbledon (which Fed tied which makes it not unique). He has more breadth and depth in GS performance overall.

I don't disagree, which is why he's 2nd on the all time list in my book.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
yup, second-best player ever so far.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Congratulations to him. Don't like the way he plays and can't stand his uncle but he's still a very decent guy and of course, massively talented.

Very close to see whether he'll catch and pass Roger's tally, it'll be damn close!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ricardo said:
Denisovich said:

and the best ever is?

Well, that's moot really. Until someone beats or equals Federer's records that is.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Congratulations to him. Don't like the way he plays and can't stand his uncle but he's still a very decent guy and of course, massively talented.

Very close to see whether he'll catch and pass Roger's tally, it'll be damn close!

what's wrong with Tony? he is also a decent guy who likes to give an honest answer in interviews. I'd personally like to see him break the record, records are made to be broken..... unless you are the type of fans whose main intention of watching tennis is to idolise someone, who are sad to see their heroes lose the records.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
ricardo said:
Denisovich said:

and the best ever is?

Well, that's moot really. Until someone beats or equals Federer's records that is.

i thought Laver was in contention, with 2 calenderr GS.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
In defense of Sampras, he has a couple of records of his own that still allows him to be at the levle of Roger, Laver and Rafa. 7 consecutive years YE#1 and of course his 14 Slams out of 18 tries! Big time player for sure.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
ricardo said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

what's wrong with Tony? he is also a decent guy who likes to give an honest answer in interviews. I'd personally like to see him break the record, records are made to be broken..... unless you are the type of fans whose main intention of watching tennis is to idolise someone, who are sad to see their heroes lose the records.

The way he conducts himself in Rafa's box just annoys me for some reason. I also don't like that he took Rafa and basically bred him to be this tennis monster when I'd much rather have seen what he was capable of becoming naturally. He even raised him to play with his wrong hand because it's more difficult to play against.

Not trying to discredit Rafa in any way, I have nothing against him and I understand why people disagree with what I've said, if you get it you'll see what I'm talking about, if not, fair enough, I won't be able to change your mind by going into it any further, and this thread is about praising Rafa anyway, and quite rightly.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I knew when Nadal won his 12th Slam title, he would surpass Sampras in Slam titles. It was just a matter of when he will do it. Well, he just needs one more title to surpass Sampras and move behind Federer.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
a lot of connors titles were joke titles on some b-list tour. anyway he only won a few majors. 7 or 8.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
massive respect for what he has done but tbh it has all been pretty much on clay.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
crystalfire said:
massive respect for what he has done but tbh it has all been pretty much on clay.

No, not really.

just saying if you look at all the major titles: 9/14 slams on clay. 19/27 masters clay.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
crystalfire said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
crystalfire said:

No, not really.

just saying if you look at all the major titles: 9/14 slams on clay. 19/27 masters clay.

That's still far from "all pretty much on clay."