Off-Court Coaching Trial Announced For Second Half Of 2022 Season

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You'd also have a few more one-offs. All a guy has to do is red-line for 2 sets and he could find his way to the final weekend of a major.
This is my point about why women should play B/5 at Majors, too. It favors the top player, and tends to negate the upset. People have been complaining around here for years that the women's game is so volatile. Now, there are plenty of factors, but give the best women best of 5, and see where the cream rises to the top. And we're talking about big points. Why is Novak still #1? (Or, OK, #2 by now.) Because he's won a bunch of Majors. But look at last RG 2021. Tsitsipas would have won that in straights, in the women's game. Or, if you like, Medvedev would have won this year's AO in straights. It affects the rankings. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is my point about why women should play B/5 at Majors, too. It favors the top player, and tends to negate the upset. People have been complaining around here for years that the women's game is so volatile. Now, there are plenty of factors, but give the best women best of 5, and see where the cream rises to the top. And we're talking about big points. Why is Novak still #1? (Or, OK, #2 by now.) Because he's won a bunch of Majors. But look at last RG 2021. Tsitsipas would have won that in straights, in the women's game. Or, if you like, Medvedev would have won this year's AO in straights. It affects the rankings. Just sayin'.
I love best of five for the Majors for the women but it will NEVER happen in the Majors while the men have Best of Five through all rounds, it is a logistical nightmare…..

However with Wimbledon finally eschewing that stupid middle Sunday off , most of the Majors having or in the process of getting two roofed stadiums, hopefully the other two Majors starting on a weekend, judicious night sessions on all slams now, TB ‘s for all 5 set matches….

It is logistically feasible for the women to do best of five starting in the round of 16. With good planning it can be done.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love best of five for the Majors for the women but it will NEVER happen in the Majors while the men have Best of Five through all rounds, it is a logistical nightmare…..

However with Wimbledon finally eschewing that stupid middle Sunday off , most of the Majors having or in the process of getting two roofed stadiums, hopefully the other two Majors starting on a weekend, judicious night sessions on all slams now, TB ‘s for all 5 set matches….

It is logistically feasible for the women to do best of five starting in the round of 16. With good planning it can be done.
See how you said it will never happen, and then you basically explained how it could? And not to put too fine a point on it, you are not a tournament director. So if you can get that close, I'm sure a tournament director could figure it out. Plus, what...they saved so much time with the drama-deflating tie-breaks at the end of the 5th set.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay I have found the off court coaching rules which will be permitted under the following conditions,

1. Coaches must sit in the tournament's designated coach seats.
2. Coaching ( verbal and non verbal) is allowed only if it does not interrupt play or create any hindrance to the opponent.
3. Verbal coaching is permitted only when the player is at the same end of the court.
4. Non - verbal coaching ( hand signals) is permitted at any time.
5. Verbal coaching may consist of a few words/ or short phrases ( no conversations are permitted)
6. Coaches may not speak to their player when the player leaves the court for any reason.
7. Penalties and fines will still apply for abuse or misuse of the above coaching conditions.
If I was playing against Tsitsipas I'd use hand signals alright. Middle finger oughta get the message across.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay I have found the off court coaching rules which will be permitted under the following conditions,

1. Coaches must sit in the tournament's designated coach seats.
2. Coaching ( verbal and non verbal) is allowed only if it does not interrupt play or create any hindrance to the opponent.
3. Verbal coaching is permitted only when the player is at the same end of the court.
4. Non - verbal coaching ( hand signals) is permitted at any time.
5. Verbal coaching may consist of a few words/ or short phrases ( no conversations are permitted)
6. Coaches may not speak to their player when the player leaves the court for any reason.
7. Penalties and fines will still apply for abuse or misuse of the above coaching conditions.
8. Players will be penalised if caught thinking for themselves.
9. Coaches will be allowed to argue with the umpire, but only a maximum of seventy times in any match.
10. Coaches will address the crowd after every set to explain what’s happening.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It is just 'Ludicrous' thinking from the ATP to allow this to happen in the first place, what were they 'smoking' .....

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It is just 'Ludicrous' thinking from the ATP to allow this to happen in the first place, what were they 'smoking' .....
Oh coaches will lap this up. Some of them, anyway. The chance to finally be seen to win a slam! There’ll be instant replays on television of the moment Coach won the match.

There’ll be after-match interviews with the coach where they explain why and how they had to move their player around the court in the way that they did. Coaches like Patrick Moronoglue will become celebrities… :face-vomiting:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh coaches will lap this up. Some of them, anyway. The chance to finally be seen to win a slam! There’ll be instant replays on television of the moment Coach won the match.

There’ll be after-match interviews with the coach where they explain why and how they had to move their player around the court in the way that they did. Coaches like Patrick Moronoglue will become celebrities… :face-vomiting:
All I can say is "Help Us All"

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
See how you said it will never happen, and then you basically explained how it could? And not to put too fine a point on it, you are not a tournament director. So if you can get that close, I'm sure a tournament director could figure it out. Plus, what...they saved so much time with the drama-deflating tie-breaks at the end of the 5th set.
My premise was a best of five format through all rounds for both men and women singles. That isn’t going to happen.

What I then presented was an alternate option where the women play best of five in the latter rounds. Even then I can anticipate some bitching ( like the crown Prince Tsitsipas) the men play more.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing it is only a 'Trial' I feel it wont go ahead.Tennis is an individual sport.The WTA made a bad move years ago.To me it is negative for the sport.The tours should have done more to stop the illegal aspect.

Reactions: TheSicilian

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Billie Jean King phrased the pressure of singles tennis as “it’s your ass alone on the line”

I don’t want to sound sadistic but I find the utter mental breakdown of some players in a pressure packed match part of the fabric of competitive tennis.

Johnny Mac’s breakdown from 2 sets to love and a service break lead against Lendl in the 1984 French Open final. Guillermo Coria as the heavy favorite collapsing in the 2004 French Open final against his hated compatriot rival Gaudio.

Others figuring out how to keep a game plan going & keeping their nerves, such as Rafa’s 5 set match win over Medvedev despite serving for the match and being broken is also part of that fabric.

Do all the coaching before and after the match, but during? No, let the player persevere and figure that out.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have no problem with woman playing B/5 at majors, just recently Mauresmo, new tournament director at RG intimated that womens tennis was boring? and a reason why they were not given any more than 1 night match, which was prime TV viewing, this year, that was the best of 3 sets, can you honestly see a tournament director at other GS allowing women to play B/5? you know it comes down to 'bums on seats'.....,womens tennis does not have a 'rivalry' like the mens game.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie Jean King phrased the pressure of singles tennis as “it’s your ass alone on the line”

I don’t want to sound sadistic but I find the utter mental breakdown of some players in a pressure packed match part of the fabric of competitive tennis.

Johnny Mac’s breakdown from 2 sets to love and a service break lead against Lendl in the 1984 French Open final. Guillermo Coria as the heavy favorite collapsing in the 2004 French Open final against his hated compatriot rival Gaudio.

Others figuring out how to keep a game plan going & keeping their nerves, such as Rafa’s 5 set match win over Medvedev despite serving for the match and being broken is also part of that fabric.

Do all the coaching before and after the match, but during? No, let the player persevere and figure that out.
Exactly! I ditto this one completely, and I think your sadistic streak is a sign of good health. For tennis! It’s “mens singles”, not a team game. You’re right about the mental crack ups that happen to players - and they’re part of the oncourt battle, aren’t they? Like physical toughness, mental toughness is a crucial element of the sport. When things go south, they’re on their own - and it’s riveting!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Aussie Todd Woodbridge replies to Patrick Mouratoglou recent comment regarding 'legalizing' coaching by the ATP.

"This is so disappointing to see that such a high profile coach blatantly admits he has broken the rules of our sport for so long'

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Exactly it's easily possible with a bit of planning. It's only the early rounds where many many matches are played & it could be tricky scheduling. If my maths is correct. The 1st round matches are 64 mens matches + 64 ladies matches = 128 matches. It's a lot, but most of the time these matches are completed within the 2 days. Now lets say each slam copies Roland Garros & starts on sunday. They would now have 3 days to complete around 43 BOF set matches a day. At the moment they are doing 64 (32 BOF set) matches a day on day 1 & 2. So to play 43 should be easy. Of course 22/23 of these matches are now longer but it will work out fine. Each slam has at least 2-4 show courts plus 10-15 smaller outside courts. So playing 3 matches on 14-15 different courts is easily done. 3 of the 4 slams also have the night session match options too. Starting the slam sunday also allows the tournament to check the weather, as the weather is the biggest threat to ruining the schedule. If weather is ok play the 43 matches per day, if weather is poor it could take a bit of extra planning, squeeze a few more matches onto the days with a good weather forecast. Make sure each court has the option to play at night for back up. If they make it through the 1st rounds, everything becomes easier and easier round by round. Because if they can manage 43 matches a day, the second rounds 32 matches a day is very easy. I also feel each slam should offer full court coverage worldwide streaming. Maybe to deal with tv time slots, just show the show courts or 1 channel that jumps from match to match when things get exciting for the casual fan. As the normal tennis fans can watch the streams. Another thing is most matches won't go 5 sets & at Wimbledon some ladies matches are done in 50 mins so the time I feel won't be an factor to allow for 5 sets. Sorry for walk of text, I'm unable to line break on my device :lol6:

• Love
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
After reading more of Patrick Mouratoglou's posts on Twitter regarding 'legalizing' coaching he is a 'first class p....k' , he is soo far up himself it is not funny anymore.I am glad Serena gave him the flick.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And this is what Kyrgios says....

Reactions: Moxie