Off-Court Coaching Trial Announced For Second Half Of 2022 Season

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As much as I dislike Patrick M., he was at least honest about it even if it was a d..k move. Are the other coaches going to sit back and deny they did it?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I find it laughable that Patrick M has the audacity to challenge and question other coaches on Twitter, implying they have in the past/present coached from their boxes?
Remember Patrick M was accused of giving 'hand signals' to Serena at a GS tournament?
Pot calling the Kettle Black hey Patrick M.
Of course now he is condoning coaching......

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I find it laughable that Patrick M has the audacity to challenge and question other coaches on Twitter, implying they have in the past/present coached from their boxes?
Remember Patrick M was accused of giving 'hand signals' to Serena at a GS tournament?
Pot calling the Kettle Black hey Patrick M.
Of course now he is condoning coaching......
I remember him admitting it too, that he was coaching Serena from the stands when she went ballistic in the USO final against Naomi. Of course Serena was trying all the cards in the deck, including, bizarrely saying that she’s a mother and so wouldn’t cheat but Patrick loves company and he found some in the press and admitted it.

Funny how brazen he and Tsitsipas are about this form of cheating. At least uncle Toni used to protest his innocence!

:lol6:

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember him admitting it too, that he was coaching Serena from the stands when she went ballistic in the USO final against Naomi. Of course Serena was trying all the cards in the deck, including, bizarrely saying that she’s a mother and so wouldn’t cheat but Patrick loves company and he found some in the press and admitted it.

Funny how brazen he and Tsitsipas are about this form of cheating. At least uncle Toni used to protest his innocence!

:lol6:

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay I have found the off court coaching rules which will be permitted under the following conditions,

1. Coaches must sit in the tournament's designated coach seats.
2. Coaching ( verbal and non verbal) is allowed only if it does not interrupt play or create any hindrance to the opponent.
3. Verbal coaching is permitted only when the player is at the same end of the court.
4. Non - verbal coaching ( hand signals) is permitted at any time.
5. Verbal coaching may consist of a few words/ or short phrases ( no conversations are permitted)
6. Coaches may not speak to their player when the player leaves the court for any reason.
7. Penalties and fines will still apply for abuse or misuse of the above coaching conditions.
This is freakin' confusing!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's ironic that ATP has decided to try off-court "coaching" rules, but has not decided on what to do with ball-person, umpire and racket abuse.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's ironic that ATP has decided to try off-court "coaching" rules, but has not decided on what to do with ball-person, umpire and racket abuse.
Indeed, where did that go? remember the ATP were going to not put up with anymore abuse from players etc, starting from RG?
ATP is just Spineless..... all talk and no action!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe they’re working their way towards legalising that too? They’re starting off with small offences like illegal coaching, but they’ll get around to violent outbursts and dangerous racket and ball abuse. We just have to be patient, I suppose…

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think players, coaches and the like should take a page from Serena and pretend he doesn’t exist. Patrick set up the perfect bait for those in the game who respond to him, so if they ever find themselves using it, big mouth certainly won’t hesitate to throw it in their faces.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think players, coaches and the like should take a page from Serena and pretend he doesn’t exist. Patrick set up the perfect bait for those in the game who respond to him, so if they ever find themselves using it, big mouth certainly won’t hesitate to throw it in their faces.
Message to Patrick M...........Engage Brain before Opening Mouth...he should have thought more about condoning legalizing coaching and put his thoughts to print especially not on Twitter, he deserves all the flak he is now receiving.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In the past few seasons, the ATP has implemented a shot clock, tiebreaks in ALL 4 slams, toilet breaks each set, and now an off court "coaching."

BUT, I still do not see them implement a clear and concise rule(s) on any type of abuse that player does on the court, on how ATP should market the sport more towards the younger viewers and how viewers should have easy access to watching Tennis online (or in TV) during the tournaments itself.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Message to Patrick M...........Engage Brain before Opening Mouth...he should have thought more about condoning legalizing coaching and put his thoughts to print especially not on Twitter, he deserves all the flak he is now receiving.
I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it, but he is also baiting people, so he can throw them under the bus should they engage in coaching.