Nishikori has turned a corner.....

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Myself and other posters had been critical of Nishikori, despite his
considerable ball striking talents, specific to his physicality, or lack there of.

Well clearly, the problem has been essentially remedied.

There were were those who predicted he would be "toast" after the brutal
Raonic match. Well, he was shockingly up to the task, and was thankfully helped out
by a brutish Stanimal who refused to venture inside the service line and sought
To bludgeon his way to the semis. (I've complained of Stan's one dimensional play
in the past).

None of this happened by accident.

Reports are that back in April Michael Chang brought in his old trainer to get
Kei in elite shape. Chang basically said to Kei he had gone as far as he could go
with his previous training regimen.

Congrats to Kei for putting in the hard yards. VERY Well deserved.

And thanks to Stan for being a bonehead!:clap

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Very good strides forward from Kei on the things that have been the knocks on his scouting sheet. However, I'm not prepared to call it done based on 2 matches. He's got to show it to be a consistent improvement.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ Very good strides forward from Kei on the things that have been the knocks on his scouting sheet. However, I'm not prepared to call it done based on 2 matches. He's got to show it to be a consistent improvement.

Totally agree...

However, we are already in new territory with two back to back ultra physical battles...and
His FiRST semi.

As a side note, Nishikori's semi final birth really spotlights how Dimtriov's rather disappointing result really is.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Totally agree...

However, we are already in new territory with two back to back ultra physical battles...and
His FiRST semi.

As a side note, Nishikori's semi final birth really spotlights how Dimtriov's rather disappointing result really is.

Don't forget I was one of 2, with fashionista, who called for Kei to win today. I'm on board, but cautious.

As to Dimitrov, I'm with anyone who complains about his mental and physical fitness, but, to be fair, if Kei can find it, so can Grigor. But if Iron-Man Rasheed can't get him there, I'm not sure who can. Another still to wait and see. (Though, TBH, I've been waiting to see with Dimi for a long time.)

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Totally agree...

His FiRST semi.

Don't forget I was one of 2, with fashionista, who called for Kei to win today. I'm on board, but cautious.

As to Dimitrov, I'm with anyone who complains about his mental and physical fitness, but, to be fair, if Kei can find it, so can Grigor. But if Iron-Man Rasheed can't get him there, I'm not sure who can. Another still to wait and see. (Though, TBH, I've been waiting to see with Dimi for a long time.)

Good call on the win for Nish, Mox.

As far as Grigor. I think he IS fit. I think his spotty results stem from him still looking for his game...it is not fully formed. I think there is still some indecision there.

While he is not all the way there yet, I think he is further along physically then Nish.

He has put in the hard yards too. But all the fitness in the world won't help with questionable shot selection and low % tennis.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, I am happy for Kei as he is someone whose play I enjoy watching (unless some
other up and comers whose last name starts with R).

Remember, when we defeated Rafa on clay this season. (ok, almost defeated).

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Well, I am happy for Kei as he is someone whose play I enjoy watching (unless some
other up and comers whose last name starts with R).

Remember, when we defeated Rafa on clay this season. (ok, almost defeated).

That match was one of the reasons MC called in the fitness Calvary.

I like Nish too...a real professional...I felt he was overhyped at one stage...

Was this his 4th top ten win?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm conflicted. I'm really happy for Kei, I think he's a phenomenal player. An Agassi type for the modern ages. But for this tournament, it's a bit sad. I could have done with another Stan v Nole semi. And more pertinently, how's he supposed to compete after back to back 5 setters?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
I'm conflicted. I'm really happy for Kei, I think he's a phenomenal player. An Agassi type for the modern ages. But for this tournament, it's a bit sad. I could have done with another Stan v Nole semi. And more pertinently, how's he supposed to compete after back to back 5 setters?

... and bad blisters on his feet? He's got two days to heal up.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah! He really has it all to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
tented said:
federberg said:
^does Nole have blisters?

No, Nishikori was treated for a blister during the Wawrinka match.

And the Raonic match too, if I remember correctly.

That's seriously impressive. But then again Novak's going to make him run even more than he had to against Stan. That ain't gonna help the blisters

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Totally agree...

His FiRST semi.

Funny, everyone expected "only" Dimitorv to perform better, Raonic, not so much.
In fact Dimitrov and Raonic are currently in the same cluster as far as development, both were in the previous slam SF and both have still more to grow in either technique, tactics or mentally.
Raonic was a victim of a Samurai who surprised me indeed, by his endurance, and capability to weather the patches in his last 2 matches.
Very good job by him, to have such a breakthrough, now with his result, 3 different players aged below 25 made slam semi-finals and more so, we will have all 3 of them in the top 10 after the USO.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1st Japanese guy in semi since 1933 !!! Congrats to him

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Totally agree...

His FiRST semi.

Funny, everyone expected "only" Dimitorv to perform better, Raonic, not so much.
In fact Dimitorv and Raonic are currently in the same cluster as far as development, both were in the previous slam SF and both have still more to grow in either technique, tactics or mentally.
Raonic was a victim of a Samurai who surprised me indeed, by his endurance, and capability to weather the patches in his last 2 matches.
Very good job by him, to have such a breakthrough, now with his result, 3 different players aged below 25 made slam finals and more so, we will have all 3 of them in the top 10 after the USO.

Are you sure? I recall in the stretch between Australia and RG a lot of us talked about Dimitrov, Nishikori as well as Raonic as being the most likely movers. I love watching the dude play. Reminds me of Agassi!

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:

To be honest, another Stan Nole match would have been predictable and a bit of a bore.

Stan bashing away with his sledgehammer, and Nole sliding around the court for 4 hours looking for
openings. Been there, done that.

No, this is a better match up.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
federberg said:

To be honest, another Stan Nole match would have been predictable and a bit of a bore.

Stan bashing away with his sledgehammer, and Nole sliding around the court for 4 hours looking for
openings. Been there, done that.

No, this is a better match up.

A bore? You surprise me - I thought the clashes between the two were among the best matches of the last couple of years.