Nadal's gonna be world #1 again!

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Obviously, he's got a lot of points to gain and if he does well at Wimbledon, it bodes well for his chances. However, I can't get past the knees. I listened to his post-match press conference yesterday, and when asked about his knees, he said he's just dealing with it week-by-week. Some weeks are better than others, some are bad. He specifically mentioned Barcelona this year, where he was in "terrible pain." Granted, he still won, because it's clay, and because there were no significant threats there. But I can't help but wonder what would happen if this "terrible pain" re-emerges at say, the US Open on hard courts. I don't see him doing too well then. It's something that he'll have to deal with for the rest of his career, and I think as he's grown wiser and more experienced, he's going to pace himself. He mentioned how he doesn't practice as often as before, and more importantly, doesn't feel the need to practice as much as before (he said he used to try to practice diligently to make sure every aspect of his game is clicking). That, to me, is a positive thing. However, as far as results go, you can't ignore the fact that at any time his knees might stop him.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The knees are the caveat: everyone knows that. He's gonna have to be wise with his scheduling, and truth being told, #1 shouldn't be a priority. It might look after itself if the results are great. His priority should be his long-term health, followed by his short-term career.

The week-to-week basis thing is wise: he's in new territory and who knows when his knees may collapse? Or if they won't? He steps out and he sees. I think we'll know more after W.

But if his knees can withstand the summer? They're the only thing keeping him from the top...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing as he has tons of points to gain between now and the AO in January of course it's very possible thanks to the ranking system and his fans should have more faith in him not falling apart like a jigsaw puzzle turned upside down. He's hardly Gael Monfils in terms of being made of glass or been out as long as Haas, Nalbandian, Del Potro, etc and he's been pretty impressive since his comeback so I can't see any reason for him to spontaneously combust to be quite honest.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
since you bring up Nalbandian - apparently, he's neither dead nor forever knee-deep in diapers yet, instead he's already planning exos:
Nadal - Nalbandian exhibition in Buenos Aires (article in spanish)
did i miss anything, or has really noone posted about it yet? apparently, it's already sold out as well (sold out as in the scalpers were already at it and are peddling tix at three times the price online).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
since you bring up Nalbandian - apparently, he's neither dead nor forever knee-deep in diapers yet, instead he's already planning exos:
Nadal - Nalbandian exhibition in Buenos Aires (article in spanish)
did i miss anything, or has really noone posted about it yet? apparently, it's already sold out as well (sold out as in the scalpers were already at it and are peddling tix at three times the price online).

His missus must be thinking they need the cash with a kid 'cos Nalby could easily blow all his cash on opening a donut factory once he retires.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Now that he withdrew from Halle would this not mean that he is even more vulnerable for an early upset at Wimbledon?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Now that he withdrew from Halle would this not mean that he is even more vulnerable for an early upset at Wimbledon?

It depends on the quality of his practice. I would say he'd be no more prone than anyone else. Is Novak playing a warmup? I don't think so. In which case he could be vulnerable also, no? Si? :)

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
His missus must be thinking they need the cash with a kid 'cos Nalby could easily blow all his cash on opening a donut factory once he retires.

Good one :laydownlaughing

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Depends on the quality of his opponent more like. He has Rosol, Gulbis, Brands on the horizon for unseeded threats and then Janowicz, Haas and probably many others in the seeded players to worry out in the early rounds.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
herios said:

It depends on the quality of his practice. I would say he'd be no more prone than anyone else. Is Novak playing a warmup? I don't think so. In which case he could be vulnerable also, no? Si? :)

You should pay more attention to what Nole does. Every year he skipped the official ATP warm-ups, he played an exhibition, where other high ranked (top 20) are going thus he has good practice on grass

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Depends on the quality of his opponent more like. He has Rosol, Gulbis, Brands on the horizon for unseeded threats and then Janowicz, Haas and probably many others in the seeded players to worry out in the early rounds.

Nadal is far better than all those players you named.

I'm putting your name on the list, since you agreed with me and what's seldom is wonderful and well worth keeping a record of.

Who thinks Nadal will someday be #1 again?

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. Front242

herios said:
You should pay more attention to what Nole does. Every year he skipped the official ATP warm-ups, he played an exhibition, here other high ranled (top 20
) are going thus he has good practice on grass

Well, not every year. I recall a great match he played in 2008 at Queens.

Nadal won't turn up at Wimbo unprepared. He needs a rest more than he needs matches.

Anyhow, will I put your name on the list of those who believe Nadal will be #1 again?

Go on, follow your heart! :D

SF Nadalite

Club Member
Reactions
:clap :clap Absolutely #1 again :clap :clap :clap

it's really more of a numbers game than anything else (as much as I'd like to claim his superiority over the rest of the bunch)

Nadal has always ventured to England for a first tourney on grass, but never for more than what would be considered practice (I seem to recall a few interesting losses including one to F-Lo where he mostly kept checking his watch)...

I'm beyond curious to see how they place him in the draw at Wimbledon. The concept that he is currently 5th is such an indictment of how badly designed the current ranking system is...not that I have a better idea.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. J-B
8. Front242
9. SF Nadalite

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Nadal is far better than all those players you named.

I'm putting your name on the list, since you agreed with me and what's seldom is wonderful and well worth keeping a record of.

Who thinks Nadal will someday be #1 again?

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. Front242

herios said:
You should pay more attention to what Nole does. Every year he skipped the official ATP warm-ups, he played an exhibition, here other high ranled (top 20
) are going thus he has good practice on grass

Well, not every year. I recall a great match he played in 2008 at Queens.

You don't read my messsages attentively, do you?
I said every time he skipped the official warm-ups"
In 2008he obviously didn't, by entering Queens.
And no, I won't co-sign to this wish list of yours, because I know that Djokovic will redeem himself between Wimby-USO to keep his pole post safe.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. J-B
8. Front242
9. SF Nadalite

You can put me down. I mean he can only go up until February and everyone in front of him has massive points to defend. Also we have to remember to subtract the Olympic points from last year as there is no defense of those.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
nadal can definitely be number one again. but to me it all depends on how djoker plays and his knees of course. to me i would say djoker is the favorite to win any non clay events as of now. if i am correct rafa has only played clay events ever since he came back so it is yet to be seen how he plays on other surfaces. i think the level we saw from djoker in semis can probably beat rafa on hard or grass courts. we have to wait till after wimbledon to see what happens. also lets not forget murray. i think he can be a legit threat to rafa if hes playing his best.

SF Nadalite

Club Member
Reactions
1370875651_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

the truth comes out about skipping Halle....

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
crystalfire said:
nadal can definitely be number one again. but to me it all depends on how djoker plays and his knees of course. to me i would say djoker is the favorite to win any non clay events as of now. if i am correct rafa has only played clay events ever since he came back so it is yet to be seen how he plays on other surfaces. i think the level we saw from djoker in semis can probably beat rafa on hard or grass courts. we have to wait till after wimbledon to see what happens. also lets not forget murray. i think he can be a legit threat to rafa if hes playing his best.

Nadal won Indian Wells this year, beating some pretty good HC players in the process.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran, I said yes but you missed it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
You don't read my messsages attentively, do you?
I said every time he skipped the official warm-ups"
In 2008he obviously didn't, by entering Queens.

I read it attentively. First you said "every time" and then you said "every time - except the times he didn't!" :D

Sorry I missed you, El Dude! Here we are, a small nation of believers:

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. J-B
8. Front242
9. SF Nadalite
10. El Dude
11. KSkate