Nadal's gonna be world #1 again!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Darth, you've been overplaying your hand on that 2008 match. Roger was blessed to get to five, he wasn't dirt in the first two: he was outplayed. He couldn't do a thing about it.

Let's recap here:

1. Kieran
2. Huntingyou
3. ????

But in 2011 Rafa was dirt in that final and only lost it due to Nole being in his head? If there was nothing Roger could do about it I don't think he would have stepped up and play decent tennis throughout sets 3-5.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I don't think it depends on the outcome of Wimbledon. If we talk about Year End #1, then yes, Wimby will play a huge role indeed. But if Kieran means getting back to #1 at some point in the spring 2014, I would say that's likely to happen if Nadal stays healthy. If he was ever going to have any legitimate chance at all, he needed to sweep this clay season. He didn't win MC but made more than just up for it with Indian Wells, Madrid, Acapulco etc. From now on till February 2014 he's got nothing to defend. And there is still 1000p lurking in Miami that he skipped plus the chance to add further points by regaining Monte Carlo. But that's all speculation as we don't know how his knees will respond on the hard courts. There lies the truth. IF his knees are ready for 12 months tennis non-stop, then I can absolutely see him getting back to #1 at some point in the spring 2014. But that's a huge IF, bigger than the Empire State Building and Nalbandian's list of barbeque meals combined.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's right, Didi. I don't think Rafa can mathematically be #1 after Wimbledon.

But will he ever be topranked again? Well, you laid it out perfectly. Shall we pencil you in as #3?

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Count me in my Irish friend. I say spring 2014 after Monte Carlo. But with Nadal you 'kneever' know. ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good!

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Kieran,

Pencil me in. If he Novak has a better Wimbledon than him.....then the #1 ranking will have to wait until AO 2014 as the most likely period for him to regain it.

Also, going back to Rafa's first week woes at Wimbledon; the guy has been unlucky with drawing big guys with big serves. He had Robin, Hases, Robin, Rosol and other names I can't remember. Also Fish if I recall correctly. When Rafa will get montanes, Andujar, nikoshori and the monacos of the world? He is due for a kind first week.

Riotbeard said:
Settle down Kieran (and welcome back buddy)! Novak barely lost on Rafa absolutely best surface. We'll see what happens at wimbledon, but it is definitely between him and Novak.

I rank Murray higher than Novak although Novak would be a tougher out for Rafa.

I would love a final for sure between these two. Let's hope the draw pairs them opposite with Roger in Rafa's side.

I get why this happened but I was saying it will be between Novak and rafa for the year end number 1 not necessarily the favorite's at wimbledon. I guess we will have to see how Andy is doing physically, but who knows about wimbledon. Right now Roger is at best the 4th favorite though.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think he's got a good chance at year-end #1.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
20-15 is a lot more competitive than 20-10. And let's not forget that Nole did not become a truly great player until 2011. Murray is now just starting to be considered a great player in his own right.

Rafa came up the victor by a hair on his favorite surface playing in perfect conditions for him and that's with a very up and down match from Novak. Rafa's forehand isn't going to do as much damage to Nole on grass and he isn't going to be as successful tracking down shot after shot.

Roger is perfect indoors because the ball isn't going up to shoulder height. Naturally, Rafa is going to be at his mercy if the backhand isn't made to be a weakness.

Rafa's only collapse at Wimbledon was the 4th set tiebreak. Compare that to the disgraceful first 2 sets from Roger and that he was the first to collapse in the 5th despite having momentum.

You are caught up in too many cliches when talking about the reasons thing happens in this sport.

Novak was a great player back in 2007; wasn't he? Wasn't he the player to beat after winning the AO, Dubai, IW (over Rafa) and Rome in 2008? What happened at Hamburg, RG, Queens and finally Beijing? Didn't Rafa produce special tennis to beat him and thus stopping Novak from moving up in the ranking? He also won YEC that year.

So according to you, Nadal victories over Novak pre 2011 have no much merit; I guess Roger's victories over Rafa pre 2008 are equally weak.

I will tell you a secret why Roger is 4-0 vs Rafa indoors, because it's the last tournament of the year. Bring the WTF in the middle of the season and we'll see how much it's Rafa at Roger's mercy.

Your logic about what happened at RG this year it's flawed. If I follow that logic, then after Rafa pushed Novak to a 5 set at the AO and actually was in command with a 4-2 30-15 easy backhand sitter.......he should have killed Novak on clay. It didn't happened. Novak was still competitive.

The key this year at RG was Nadal ability to take over the mental battle in that fifth and take control of the match with his entire tool set. Who his the most winners btw? Yes, the conditions were normal...it's June in Paris and often in June, the sun shines and the temperature get's to 80 degrees. The wind wasn't helpful though.

Finally, yes Rafa's forehand when he hits it with aggression; it's the biggest weapon on grass.......Novak won't be able to track so many down like he does on clay and slow hards.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
DarthFed said:
20-15 is a lot more competitive than 20-10. And let's not forget that Nole did not become a truly great player until 2011. Murray is now just starting to be considered a great player in his own right.

Rafa came up the victor by a hair on his favorite surface playing in perfect conditions for him and that's with a very up and down match from Novak. Rafa's forehand isn't going to do as much damage to Nole on grass and he isn't going to be as successful tracking down shot after shot.

Roger is perfect indoors because the ball isn't going up to shoulder height. Naturally, Rafa is going to be at his mercy if the backhand isn't made to be a weakness.

Rafa's only collapse at Wimbledon was the 4th set tiebreak. Compare that to the disgraceful first 2 sets from Roger and that he was the first to collapse in the 5th despite having momentum.

You are caught up in too many cliches when talking about the reasons thing happens in this sport.

Novak was a great player back in 2007; wasn't he? Wasn't he the player to beat after winning the AO, Dubai, IW (over Rafa) and Rome in 2008? What happened at Hamburg, RG, Queens and finally Beijing? Didn't Rafa produce special tennis to beat him and thus stopping Novak from moving up in the ranking? He also won YEC that year.

So according to you, Nadal victories over Novak pre 2011 have no much merit; I guess Roger's victories over Rafa pre 2008 are equally weak.

I will tell you a secret why Roger is 4-0 vs Rafa indoors, because it's the last tournament of the year. Bring the WTF in the middle of the season and we'll see how much it's Rafa at Roger's mercy.

Your logic about what happened at RG this year it's flawed. If I follow that logic, then after Rafa pushed Novak to a 5 set at the AO and actually was in command with a 4-2 30-15 easy backhand sitter.......he should have killed Novak on clay. It didn't happened. Novak was still competitive.

The key this year at RG was Nadal ability to take over the mental battle in that fifth and take control of the match with his entire tool set. Who his the most winners btw? Yes, the conditions were normal...it's June in Paris and often in June, the sun shines and the temperature get's to 80 degrees. The wind wasn't helpful though.

Finally, yes Rafa's forehand when he hits it with aggression; it's the biggest weapon on grass.......Novak won't be able to track so many down like he does on clay and slow hards.

At no point in 2008 was Novak the player to beat. He had a good start to the year and won his first slam. Obviously that's a different situation to now where he has been the best player in the world for 2.5 years.

There would be no issue with moving indoors to middle of the year. Wouldn't change a thing. That ball bounces low and Roger's backhand isn't reduced to being completely worthless like clay, grass and slow hards. If Nadal can't destroy Roger's backhand he isn't winning.

And as said before we will see if they meet on grass. Nole is more likely to be upset in the 2nd week and Rafa more likely in the 1st week.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This thread didn't work out well the first time. Kieran, if Rafa takes another 7 months off, I'm blaming you!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
This thread didn't work out well the first time. Kieran, if Rafa takes another 7 months off, I'm blaming you!

LOL! Aside from the unknowable future for Nadal's glass knees, he's got a good shot. I would just like him to at least pass Borg on the list for most weeks at #1. I think he has about 8 weeks to go. The next on the list after that is McEnroe, I think, and it's it's a LOT more...probably more than he can do, given the talent at the top.

BalaryKar

Futures Player
Reactions
Rafa needs matches under his belt. I am not sure how skipping Halle helps him. In his prime when Fed skipped it in 07, he had lost on grass way back in 02. Plus, the first week was a joke for Fed in that he did not even need to show up to win, the opponent would first give a NOC (no objection certificate) to Fed in the locker room and then the match would be formally played. It is not in doubt that Nadal returns to No.1, so count me in. I am only worried about Nadal in first week of Wimbledon.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
wow, this thread is on fire.

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck

i've said it before: barring prolonged (8 week+) lay-off, i see Nadal at #1 by the first monday after the AO.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

:D :D :D

At last! I'm getting credit for my internet influence on Rafa! :snigger

So, are you ready to commit, brother? Shall we write it like this:

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. Broken_Shoelace??

:D

J-B

Reactions
Kieran said:
Darth, you've been overplaying your hand on that 2008 match. Roger was blessed to get to five, he wasn't dirt in the first two: he was outplayed. He couldn't do a thing about it.

Let's recap here:

1. Kieran
2. Huntingyou
3. ????

I'll allow myself to be optimistic just once and put my name on the list.Why is it that most Nadal fans, including myself, are always so cautious, so gloomy? It probably has something to do with the knees, the trauma of '09 and the 7 lost finals vs Novak...Anyway, let's have some faith this time, add my name.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
J-B said:
I'll allow myself to be optimistic just once and put my name on the list.Why is it that most Nadal fans, including myself, are always so cautious, so gloomy? It probably has something to do with the knees, the trauma of '09 and the 7 lost finals vs Novak...Anyway, let's have some faith this time, add my name.

You never lost faith, brother - I know that! We have a strong side now. :)

1. Kieran
2. Hunting
3. Didi
4. Moxie!
5. Tented
6. johnsteinbeck
7. J-B

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
J-B said:
Kieran said:

Let's recap here:

1. Kieran
2. Huntingyou
3. ????

i think it's because you guys listen to his interviews too much. if you keep hearing him repeat that he's basically lucky to even be in the main draw, getting the chance to play a great threat like Nishikori, at some point, you start believing it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
i think it's because you guys listen to his interviews too much. if you keep hearing him repeat that he's basically lucky to even be in the main draw, getting the chance to play a great threat like Nishikori, at some point, you start believing it.

Most fans by nature are pessimistic. I always believe Nadal will win, but when the match starts, 0-15 on his serve becomes a full-on crisis for me. I see it all! He's going to lose! This is terrible! It brings out my inner teenage girl obsessed with a boy who kissed her best friend instead. My hopes die and I descend into sulking misery.

0-30? I want to switch the telly off.

This is why Ralph elects to receive first: to spare us agony so early on. But even then, his opponent holding serve in the first game increases the heart-rate and causes a crisis of another sort: he chose to receive and he failed to break serve! He's been rumbled. It's over! My life is officially DIRT! :puzzled