Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is why fans look so silly battling for superiority between the two of them. They’ve moved on years ago. I mean, how long can someone hold onto a grudge?

Rafa and Federer wish each the best

Federer I wish Nadal wins the USO Rafa I hope Roger recovers soon

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/...ns-us-open-rafa-i-hope-rogers-recovers-soon-/

I've alway said that Roger is better than many of his fans. I like him but some of his fans make me to dislike him though I know it's not his fault

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa Tidbits:

You tell him, Rafa. I wonder what the reporter said in response.

1. Tuesday, one reporter gently worked his way into asking Nadal about his current Grand Slam drought.

Reporter: "Obviously you're a great champion. It's also a fact that at this time it's the longest stretch in your career since you began as a pro without a Grand Slam title: Nine majors. Wondering, going into New York (U.S. Open) how important you feel it is to have a strong result there, just for your self-confidence?"

Rafael Nadal: "No. No, I don't need a strong result there to be ... to have self‑confidence. I know I was ready this year to have strong results in Grand Slams. I get injury. I was unlucky. But I feel competitive again. I feel with the right motivation ... I don't have anymore the feelings I had last year. It's something that doesn't worry me much, no? It's obvious that nobody wins Grand Slams forever, even (Roger) Federer that have won more than nobody. It's already a few years that he's not winning.

Rafa still believes and so do I.

"And in this moment of my career, the most important thing is enjoy and be happy doing what I am doing. I believe that I am going to keep having chances to win Grand Slams in the future if I am healthy. I have the right confidence that that can happen."

The Golden Bagel Award. amazing what some fans keep up with.
via Rajdip Bhattacharyya

I am sure a lot of hardcore Rafans are not even aware of it. Last night, Rafa just took the top spot in the race to win the Golden Bagel award 2016. He has 6 bagels to his name followed by Murray on 5.

Rafa has won this award 3 times-2005, 2008 & 2009.

Here is the count & the tournaments where it happened:-

1. Indian Wells

2. 1 - Monte Carlo

3. Madrid

4. 1 French Open

5. 1 - US open

So cute.

Rafa street art in Vasles, France (via @rebebstagram) - thank you Happy Slam Tennis for finding it.

How nice.

1. RIO OLYMPICS: Rafael Nadal Inspires Brazilian Men's Volleyball Team to Win their First Olympic Gold Medal. Brazil won its first Olympic gold medal in volleyball on Sunday, defeating Italy in the final. But the team's inspiration came from Rafael Nadal, who according to the team members say inspired them with his mentality and fighting spirit. During Brazil's quarter-final match against France, two members of the team, Lucarelli and Lipe, got injured. In order to help the team not get demoralized, the doctor Alvaro Chamecki suggested that they see a video of Nadal playing the 2011 Australian Open quarter-final against his compatriot David Ferrer. Nadal had then been suffering an abductor injury and his uncle and coach, Toni had suggested that he retire. Nadal had however replied by saying that he was playing the quarter-final of the Australian Open and therefore couldn't retire from the match. This was an example of the attitude players should have during a competition, according to Chamecki. And the results proved he was right. Brazil defeated France in the quarter-final, then Russia in the semi-final and Italy in the final. TennisWorldUSA

Super Star
Rafael Nadal trying to exit & being asked for endless selfies at the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony

I shall be one of her newest fans. Smart girl.

Daria Kasatkina I Love Everything About Rafael Nadal

by Tom Gainey | July 29th, 2016, 10:20 am

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2016-07-29/23667.php

Neil Harman ‏@Neil_Harman57 · 5h5 hours ago

One of the finest people I've met in my life turns 30 years of age today. Known him since he was 17. Blessed. Feliz cumpleanos @RafaelNadal

https://twitter.com/Neil_Harman57/status/738672308441743360

https://twitter.com/Nikecourt/status/736244628731531264

Reactions: britbox and Carol

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Next stop for Nadal : DC tie vs India

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Leander Paes I have learned so much from Nadal he is a great ambassador of the game

Gatto Luigi - 14-09-2016

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Rafael_Nadal/36291/leander-paes-i-have-learned-so-much-from-nadal-he-is-a-great-ambassador-of-the-game-/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Davis Cup World Group play-offs tie between India and Spain is an opportunity for the 42-year-old Leander Paes to improve his tennis and character learning from 'one of the greatest', referring to Rafael Nadal, his doubles partner in Paris Masters 2015.

'I am lucky I got a chance to play doubles with him - Paes said - It's not just about how he plays tennis but the way he conducts himself. He is a great ambassador of the game.'

Paes invited all the Indian fans to come and watch the 14-time Grand Slam champion is unbelievable: 'For me even now, at this stage of my career, where I have played 30 years, you can come out and watch what Rafa does and learn so much. You can learn about the footwork, about the power, the generation of shots, the follow through, the swing the rituals after the practice.'

Reactions: Carol and Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa had a lot of fun in Milan, besides to be a great player he is really a wonderful person!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennis Fan and Mary

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Great to see them both looking happy after a grim summer. Thanks for posting

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Match point of Rafa/Solbas vs Moya/McEnroe in the Nadal Academy Exhibition. There are some vids of the whole match of this doubles and I have to say that Mac still plays very good :clap:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bu the way they had to stop the match for awhile because one woman lost her daughter while she was watching the match......too distracted? :p

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hey @Carol, here is some more...

Yep, I saw the whole match, they had a lot of fun, Mac is still someone and more at the net, you can tell what great he was, and the junior player that played with Rafa could have a good future

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Yannick Noah said this? :finger:. Amazing! After all of these years maligning him, now he decides to tell the truth. In fact, I wonder why all of the lies have stopped so abruptly.

The French love Rafa Nadal, including Yannick Noah

“Asked if he would like to reward Nadal with the Roland Garros trophy, Noah said, ´People have to understand in France, Nadal is very respected, not only by the crowd but also by those around him. Ball boys, organizers. All things you do not see on TV but that for me are important . He is always available to sign an autograph and not only before cameras. For me this is important. In Davis Cup during a practice with Lucas (Pouille ), I told him, “Look at how Nadal warm-ups, his attitude and fair play after the loss in New York.” It would be a privilege to give him the Roland Garros trophy but I don´t think organizers will think about me. I do not like these things but if they ask me who knows. Hopefully he can win the title again. Will he triumph in a Slam? It´s tough to say. But every time after an injury I always hear that he would never comeback. And instead he did it, he will be dangerous until when he remains on the Tour.”

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I so agree with Gilles Simon on this. People will take two like examples and give them different attributes. Like he said, Gasquet plays deep behind the baseline and it's seen as "talent," but for Nadal it's a "physical style." I think a lot of people simply repeat often repeated phrases and then find common ground. Talent is defined as a special natural ability or aptitude, it has nothing to do with whichever style you prefer. Some players talent is taking the ball early, or carving up the court, even getting to the ball quickly, but this notion that everyone has to play a certain way is beyond idiotic IMO. I have had so many people try to convince that Nadal plays a physical game to the exclusion of everyone else on tour when many players have had many injuries over the years. It's just weird how people think sometimes.

Gilles Simon: 'For people, Gasquet who plays far away from the baseline is talented, while Nadal...'

Gatto Luigi - 26-09-2016 - View: 47143

Tennis - The French player shared his thoughts about what he felt about the concept of talent

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Tennis_Interviews/36668/gilles-simon-for-people-gasquet-who-plays-far-away-from-the-baseline-is-talented-while-nadal-/

In a recent interview with L'Equipe, Gilles Simon shared his thoughts about the perception of talent in the tennis world.

Drawing a comparison between compatriot Richard Gasquet and Rafael Nadal, Simon said, 'When Richard Gasquet sends a backhand ten miles from the corner of the stands, they say it's talent. They're right. But when Rafael Nadal does the same with a forehand, they say it's strength and that it's physical. There's complete agreement about Federer's talent, but when it comes to Djokovic, there's doubt. They say he has no great shot. Except that when you serve at him at 275 kph and he takes it every time, in the middle of the racquet. That's incredible talent. If you ask Jan de Witt, who has the most talent, Roger or Novak, he'll hesitate to reply.'

Elaborating further, he said, 'Television distorts perceptions. People don't see what's so special about Kei Nishikori. He has the best two-handed backhand I've ever seen. He finds incredible angles but that doesn't make an impression. I often use the example of Michael Llodra. He had an amazing volley and touch but he couldn't hit a correct forehand. Was he gifted? Safin had a patent on talent his entire career, but when it came to hands, he was like me. Now, Ernests Gulbis is the same. He's talented, full stop. If he loses, it's because he doesn't feel like playing.'

He also mentioned, 'In France, in the beginning, I had the impression that it was better to be less good. With talent that Gulbis who's ranked 50th is more esteemed than a Ferrer who's third. Now, I couldn't care less whether people see if I have talent or not. I usually answer that my talent is my timing. Talent is weighing 70 kg and hitting 50 winners against Rafa in Rome (last year). I hope it doesn't get taken the wrong way, but when I see that they think that I have less talent than Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, it's impressive. Jo hammers every shot. It's very forceful. Between us four, Gael Monfils is the one who has the most talent.'

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I so agree with Gilles Simon on this. People will take two like examples and give them different attributes. Like he said, Gasquet plays deep behind the baseline and it's seen as "talent," but for Nadal it's a "physical style." I think a lot of people simply repeat often repeated phrases and then find common ground. Talent is defined as a special natural ability or aptitude, it has nothing to do with whichever style you prefer. Some players talent is taking the ball early, or carving up the court, even getting to the ball quickly, but this notion that everyone has to play a certain way is beyond idiotic IMO. I have had so many people try to convince that Nadal plays a physical game to the exclusion of everyone else on tour when many players have had many injuries over the years. It's just weird how people think sometimes.

Gilles Simon: 'For people, Gasquet who plays far away from the baseline is talented, while Nadal...'

Gatto Luigi - 26-09-2016 - View: 47143

Tennis - The French player shared his thoughts about what he felt about the concept of talent

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Tennis_Interviews/36668/gilles-simon-for-people-gasquet-who-plays-far-away-from-the-baseline-is-talented-while-nadal-/

In a recent interview with L'Equipe, Gilles Simon shared his thoughts about the perception of talent in the tennis world.

Drawing a comparison between compatriot Richard Gasquet and Rafael Nadal, Simon said, 'When Richard Gasquet sends a backhand ten miles from the corner of the stands, they say it's talent. They're right. But when Rafael Nadal does the same with a forehand, they say it's strength and that it's physical. There's complete agreement about Federer's talent, but when it comes to Djokovic, there's doubt. They say he has no great shot. Except that when you serve at him at 275 kph and he takes it every time, in the middle of the racquet. That's incredible talent. If you ask Jan de Witt, who has the most talent, Roger or Novak, he'll hesitate to reply.'

Elaborating further, he said, 'Television distorts perceptions. People don't see what's so special about Kei Nishikori. He has the best two-handed backhand I've ever seen. He finds incredible angles but that doesn't make an impression. I often use the example of Michael Llodra. He had an amazing volley and touch but he couldn't hit a correct forehand. Was he gifted? Safin had a patent on talent his entire career, but when it came to hands, he was like me. Now, Ernests Gulbis is the same. He's talented, full stop. If he loses, it's because he doesn't feel like playing.'

He also mentioned, 'In France, in the beginning, I had the impression that it was better to be less good. With talent that Gulbis who's ranked 50th is more esteemed than a Ferrer who's third. Now, I couldn't care less whether people see if I have talent or not. I usually answer that my talent is my timing. Talent is weighing 70 kg and hitting 50 winners against Rafa in Rome (last year). I hope it doesn't get taken the wrong way, but when I see that they think that I have less talent than Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, it's impressive. Jo hammers every shot. It's very forceful. Between us four, Gael Monfils is the one who has the most talent.'

Simon said all of this? That's pretty remarkable and accurate.

Reactions: shawnbm