NA Hard Season - General Discussion

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The North American Hard Court Season starts next week. It is fairly short, just a bit longer than grass season.

Week 1: Atlanta
Week 2: Washington DC.
Week 3: Tornoto
Week 4: Cincy
Week 5: Winston-Salem

Of course there are also other grass tourneys and clay tourneys during the above period as well. The European players usually does not come over here until Toronto though, preferring to play in their own backyards even if the surface is different. So, basically only the results of Toronto and Cincy have any predictive value about USO.

The USO is likely to be the first slam after more than an year in which all members of big four participate. More than participation, it will be the first tourney when all members of Talented Three will be contenders with not much of a heavy separation between them.

Here are the pre-season odds for winning USO.

1. Novak 16/5 (23%)
2. Federer 15/4 (21%)
3. Nadal 47/10 (17%)
4. Murray / Sasha / JMDP 12 (8%)
7. Cilic 22 ( 4.3%)
8. Kyrgios 25 (3.8%)
9. Thiem / Stan 33 (3%)

Last edited:

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Will start following tennis from Washington.

Two week break after Wimbledon ended up being a bitter disappointment from a results standpoint (had some good matches though)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The North American Hard Court Season starts next week. It is fairly short, just a bit longer than grass season.

Of course there are also other grass tourneys and clay tourneys during the above period as well. The European players usually does not come over here until Toronto though, preferring to play in their own backyards even if the surface is different. So, basically only the results of Toronto and Cincy have any predictive value about USO.

The USO is likely to be the first slam after more than an year in which all members of big four participate. More than participation, it will be the first tourney when all members of Talented Three will be contenders with not much of a heavy separation between them.

1. Novak 16/5 (23%)
2. Federer 15/4 (21%)
3. Nadal 47/10 (17%)
Your odds makers bandwagoning on Novak, eh?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Murray at 8% is the worst bet of all time. Can I make an inverse bet on this odds?

Reactions: Michael;Kiwi

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
You already know what I'll tell you, but for the record, for the rest of the season if he stays healthy it will be all Nole's. Domination!!!

I don't know how they calculated Murray's odds considering his form is under a question mark

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
You already know what I'll tell you, but for the record, for the rest of the season if he stays healthy it will be all Nole's. Domination!!!

Fake News! :lol3:

Nole will be a contender, but not a dominator.

But, given that Nole will be splitting the remaining points with others, YE #1 is almost assured for Ralph.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

1. Novak 16/5 (23%)
2. Federer 15/4 (21%)
3. Nadal 47/10 (17%)
7. Cilic 22 ( 4.3%)
8. Kyrgios 25 (3.8%)
9. Thiem / Stan 33 (3%)
There is another HC event leading up to USO. It is in Mexico, Los Cabos.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It appears that they finally got rid of the US Open Series Bonus Prize Money Challenge concept. Not very sure of it though.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy gets WC into Cincy as well. So, he will now be playing three warm-up tourneys viz., DC, Toronoto and Cincy. Some may think it is too much. But, it is not. As he expects to lose fairly early, the actual number of matches he will get in before USO will not be too much.

Reactions: britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, NBC have no involvement in tennis at all now?

The schedule posted is only for US Open Series. When the actual USO comes around, I am sure NBC will be there to mess up the coverage and so show some tape delayed match while live match is going on.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The schedule posted is only for US Open Series. When the actual USO comes around, I am sure NBC will be there to mess up the coverage and so show some tape delayed match while live match is going on.

I don't think we're too far from approaching an age where the big online content providers like Google/Youtube Premium / Amazon Prime / Netflix / Disney etc... will get into sport in a big way and totally shake things up.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think we're too far from approaching an age where the big online content providers like Google/Youtube Premium / Amazon Prime / Netflix / Disney etc... will get into sport in a big way and totally shake things up.

I am not so sure the problem will be solved by the other providers. The problem is not the lack of providers. The problem is the way they sign up these contracts. I remember very distinctly, it was so frustrating with NBC in US Open semifinal coverage. They sign up for one SF, but then they also decide apriori that they will show the match only from x o clock to y o clock. If the SF for which they signed up happens to spill over on either end of their scheduled time, not only will they not show it, they also prevent it from being shown by other providers.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions

1. Novak 16/5 (23%)
2. Federer 15/4 (21%)
3. Nadal 47/10 (17%)
7. Cilic 22 ( 4.3%)
8. Kyrgios 25 (3.8%)
9. Thiem / Stan 33 (3%)
i would wait for another tourney before putting nole as a top contender for USO. i think as of now rafa should be the fav to win USO with nole second and fed third. fed should be the most vulnerable imo.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
i would wait for another tourney before putting nole as a top contender for USO. i think as of now rafa should be the fav to win USO with nole second and fed third. fed should be the most vulnerable imo.

OK. Let us see what are the current odds after the first week is over which had the incidents of Isner winning, Fed withdrawing from Toronto and Andy deciding to triple down on prep for USO.

1. Novak 58/19 (25%)
2. Federer 4 (20%)
3. Rafa 9/2 (18%)
4. Murray / JMDP / Sasha 12 (8%)
7. Cilic 22 (4.3%)
8. Kyrgios 25 (4%)
9. Thiem / Stan 33 (3%)

Next up in the line are Kei, Grigor, Anderson, Shapo and Isner, in that order. All of them have greater than 1% chance.

p.s. There is really not much movement compared to preseason odds.