Is Nadal Hurting Himself on Hard Courts or...?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I am starting to think maybe it is not the case...The guy plays a limited number of hard courts and in most cases they are spread apart.

BUT the dude seriously loads up on clay tournaments and plays an insane amount of matches (because he plays all the possible matches by making the finals almost all the time) until the end of RG, within a very small time period !

Clay is not easy to play on by any means. Ask any player. Changing direction, etc, not easy on the body. Points are longer ( even though the way the hard courts are playing these days...).

So maybe the guy abusing the knees during the clay court season leads to him feeling the effects of it later on on other surfaces. Maybe it is a cumulative effect... Maybe winning the 18th Barcelona should not be a priority for him in terms of extending his career.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am starting to think maybe it is not the case...The guy plays a limited number of hard courts and in most cases they are spread apart.

BUT the dude seriously loads up on clay tournaments and plays an insane amount of matches (because he plays all the possible matches by making the finals almost all the time) until the end of RG, within a very small time period !

Clay is not easy to play on by any means. Ask any player. Changing direction, etc, not easy on the body. Points are longer ( even though the way the hard courts are playing these days...).

So maybe the guy abusing the knees during the clay court season leads to him feeling the effects of it later on on other surfaces. Maybe it is a cumulative effect... Maybe winning the 18th Barcelona should not be a priority for him in terms of extending his career.

Hardcourt tennis should have never existed to being with, it damages the body. It should have only been clay & grass. The only reason hardcourt was added to tennis is because it's cheap and easy to maintain.

Reactions: Carol

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I agree with this. People sometimes over-analyze things, bringing up the effect of the surface on his knees. His style of play is largely to blame, not the surface.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Can't blame Nadal tho. Playing on clay is awesome, and if you can play like Nadal... well I would almost consider playing all year on that surface.

Reactions: Moxie

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
No he's faking injures on HC when he's getting his ass kicked.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Yeah like he faked an injury against Thiem after losing 6-0. :rolleyes: Rafa always fights until the last point, even when down sets and breaks. He's the king of epic long battles and comebacks, he's not a faker or quitter. In fact his strength is long matches and staying out there for hours fighting.

If he's bothered by some injury it's because it's true. Usually he skips many tournaments after those injuries to heal, losing a lot of ranking points, but I suppose it's all part of the act. :rolleyes: Stop being a hater.

If there were more Nadals out there, the world would be a better place. :yesyes: :bye:

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal has a cronic tendinitis in the right knee since many years, sometimes he can handle it, sometimes not. He got some good treatments but the tendinitis continues there and he has played with some pain for years and of course the HC is considered the worst surface for the knees and also is where they play more tournaments including 2 GS.
I’m glad he stopped playing because usually he uses to wait until the last point of the match which always has been a big mistake but it seems he has learned the lesson. I hope he won’t play in Asia and will be ready for Paris and London

19USC66

Club Member
Reactions

I don't agree with you, but Nadal has never pulled up lame when he was ahead as far as I know. Thus, one does wonder?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal got a back injury in the AO 2014 before the final but even that and knowing that he went to lose he played the full match and in the RG 2016 after to win the first two matches he had to retire because his wrist. Some people need to refresh their memory.....:banghead:

Reactions: Jelenafan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
People have been predicting Nadal is “over” for 10 years plus due to his style of play, chronic knee issues, etc etc yet the reality is he’s outlasted 99 % of his contemporaries.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nadal's contemporary just won 2 slams in a row while Nadal retired in 2 slams this year.
Some outlasting :lulz1:

Reactions: Fiero425

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with this. People sometimes over-analyze things, bringing up the effect of the surface on his knees. His style of play is largely to blame, not the surface.
Haas didn't play like Nadal and his body was totally destroyed...style of play is not everything even if it can be a factor

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't quite understand this notion of "blame" for one's injuries. Sport is about wear-and-tear on the body and it involves injury.

Reactions: Jelenafan

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't quite understand this notion of "blame" for one's injuries. Sport is about wear-and-tear on the body and it involves injury.
I thought it is quite simple. Rafa plays the most physical tennis in the history of the game, therefore his injuries should not be surprising. Sometimes his fans want to attribute his injuries to bad luck, conveniently ignoring his physicality. Everything else being equal, the more physical the player is, the more the wear and tear.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I thought it is quite simple. Rafa plays the most physical tennis in the history of the game, therefore his injuries should not be surprising. Sometimes his fans want to attribute his injuries to bad luck, conveniently ignoring his physicality. Everything else being equal, the more physical the player is, the more the wear and tear.

There have been some impressively physical players in the past, Thomas Muster, Guillermo Vilas, even is some ways Borg himself.

I think with Nadal it’s that his overall longevity has surprised some. Every time he’s had an injury and had time off, come the de facto pronouncements he’s over THIS time and the career is kaput. Been hearing this talk as far back as 2005/6 TBH. Like mentioned players with a seemingly less physical game have broken down sooner in their careers.
In
Prior to Fedalovic most players were winding down by 30. Sampras won a last gasp USO and that was it, everyone could sense Pistol Pete was played out.

With Nadal I think he can manage to play near or at the top some more, but again it’s all gravy at this point in his career. 32 used to be old in tennis terms for the most part.

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
There have been some impressively physical players in the past, Thomas Muster, Guillermo Vilas, even is some ways Borg himself.

I think with Nadal it’s that his overall longevity has surprised some. Every time he’s had an injury and had time off, come the de facto pronouncements he’s over THIS time and the career is kaput. Been hearing this talk as far back as 2005/6 TBH. Like mentioned players with a seemingly less physical game have broken down sooner in their careers.
In
Prior to Fedalovic most players were winding down by 30. Sampras won a last gasp USO and that was it, everyone could sense Pistol Pete was played out.

With Nadal I think he can manage to play near or at the top some more, but again it’s all gravy at this point in his career. 32 used to be old in tennis terms for the most part.

Hey, they can play until they're 50 if they want; just depends if they want to hang on like that while being fodder for the "next-gens" like Rosewall, Connors, Becker, and McEnroe! Doctor IVO's still going strong in his late 30's with only a big serve at his disposal! He ain't winning $#!t, but that's what we're talking about; winning at an advanced age! Expectations should be higher for elite players! Many get out in a timely fashion like Edberg, Borg, and eventually after Sampras' last gasp at '02 USO! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't deny that Nadal plays a very physical game, but I do object to the notion of moralizing about people's injuries, i.e., "blaming" him. Do you blame Del Potro for his injuries? Tsonga? Nalbandian?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Haas didn't play like Nadal and his body was totally destroyed...style of play is not everything even if it can be a factor
That makes sense. So, what do you think is the reason for Nadal's injuries?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't deny that Nadal plays a very physical game, but I do object to the notion of moralizing about people's injuries, i.e., "blaming" him. Do you blame Del Potro for his injuries? Tsonga? Nalbandian?
I am not sure about the players you mentioned. It is true that some players are more prone to injuries than others, and this happens in other sports too. In the case of Nadal, there is no doubt about it. You could even say that Nadal is not that injury prone, considering his physicality. He should be injured more often! I think he is lucky that he still playing now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not sure about the players you mentioned. It is true that some players are more prone to injuries than others, and this happens in other sports too. In the case of Nadal, there is no doubt about it. You could even say that Nadal is not that injury prone, considering his physicality. He should be injured more often! I think he is lucky that he still playing now.
How can you be so unsure about those players if you're so sure about Nadal? You judge one player and yet pay no attention to the multiple injuries of others? That's rather a small sample you have there...one player. I'm not even sure what you're getting at. He's had a fair number of injuries, and also recoveries. You're doing some weird version of blaming him for his style of play and wishing him ill. What is your actual point?