Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2024 - Masters 1000

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep. I do think that FAA has the more complete package than Rublev. But he lacks a certain grit. He might be too nice of a guy - doesn't seem to have that killer instinct.
Lack of Killer Instinct is what really prolonged this match. Felix should have closed the first set quicker. He allowed Rublev to heal his nerves and work himself back into the match..

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lack of Killer Instinct is what really prolonged this match. Felix should have closed the first set quicker. He allowed Rublev to heal his nerves and work himself back into the match..
To be fair AP,
I dont think HD was nervous in that 1st set, he looked sick to me and he did recover, FAA served was really under pressure from HD in the 3rd set, and he returned FAA's serve well to take the match, which he also did to win the 2nd set
Sad for FAA DF when he had a chance to take the 2nd set to a TB

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Only watched about half the second set, but this match seems like a classic young guy vs. veteran match - and given that FFA is already 23, it shouldn't be that way. He doesn't quite seem to have that fortitude and tenacity to hold the line until the very end, while Rublev is clawing his way back.

That said, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Felix pull this off, but he has to--pardon the cliche--"dig deep" and find that championship wellspring.
There's an up and coming NBA basketball star Anthony AntMan Edwards who looks like he has that "King Kong ain't got # over me"! Edwards wants all the smoke and isn't afraid of anyone including Durant, LeBron and the entire NBA. That's what FAA needs to discover or he will become present day Tomas Berdych. Just my two cents worth.

Reactions: tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
To be fair AP,
I dont think HD was nervous in that 1st set, he looked sick to me and he did recover, FAA served was really under pressure from HD in the 3rd set, and he returned FAA's serve well to take the match, which he also did to win the 2nd set
Agreed he was not feeling well.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Congrats to Rublev for joining the two big title club. He doesn't really have the full panoply of skills that screams "Slam contender," but on the other hand, there are no clear favorites going into Roland Garros, so you never know. I mean, with Sinner and Alcaraz questionable, Rafa still coming back, and Novak still on walkabout, somehow Stefanos Tsitsipas could be the favorite...

Did I really just write that?

But seriously, we'll know more after Rome, but right now any number of players could take RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Felix is No 20 in the rankings,so he will be seeded ( No 18) for Rome, he will get a bye for the 1st round and an extra days rest

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Rublev for joining the two big title club. He doesn't really have the full panoply of skills that screams "Slam contender," but on the other hand, there are no clear favorites going into Roland Garros, so you never know. I mean, with Sinner and Alcaraz questionable, Rafa still coming back, and Novak still on walkabout, somehow Stefanos Tsitsipas could be the favorite...

But seriously, we'll know more after Rome, but right now any number of players could take RG.
I just spit my coffee out all over my computer when I read your post that The Greek God could be the fav for RG

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner to me is still a 'progress on clay' there is further news he could miss RG, as I posted today on the ATP News
Hopefully Alcaraz will be okay he is a player than can play himself into a tournament when he is healthy he has all the weapons for clay
I am looking for a good tournament for Rune, in Rome, who can play on clay
Novak can get back his mojo in Rome a tournament he plays well in
Lets see how the Greek God goes in Rome, also Zverev as well, lets not forget Ruud

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I just spit my coffee out all over my computer when I read your post that The Greek God could be the fav for RG
Well, I don't really believe it, but was more making a point: that because of questions around all the guys we might normally favor above him (Nadal, Djokovic, Alcaraz, Sinner), of the guys remaining with a halfway-legit chance of winning Roland Garros--Rune, Ruud, Medvedev, Zverev, Rublev, maybe one or two more--Stefanos looks the best on paper. We know he can play on clay, and facing someone like Ruud or Rune in the final might actually earn him that elusive Slam trophy.

But chances are at least one of Rafa, Novak, Sinner and Alcaraz is in a much better place in a couple weeks.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I feel for FAA, but Rublev deserved it.

Hey, first match I watch since 2017 that the guy I am rooting for wins!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I feel for FAA, but Rublev deserved it.

Hey, first match I watch since 2017 that the guy I am rooting for wins!
That's a long dry spell! Have you got your eye on a new favorite? Fonseca?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well it will be interesting to see who really takes advantage of all the injuries and uncertainty ahead of RG. If you are Ruud, you are sacrificing something to serve amazing and keeping that BH in order.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I don't really believe it, but was more making a point: that because of questions around all the guys we might normally favor above him (Nadal, Djokovic, Alcaraz, Sinner), of the guys remaining with a halfway-legit chance of winning Roland Garros--Rune, Ruud, Medvedev, Zverev, Rublev, maybe one or two more--Stefanos looks the best on paper. We know he can play on clay, and facing someone like Ruud or Rune in the final might actually earn him that elusive Slam trophy.

But chances are at least one of Rafa, Novak, Sinner and Alcaraz is in a much better place in a couple weeks.
Courier agrees with you, if that makes you feel better. (Likely not. LOL.) Mention has been made that he's split with Badosa, if that matters, but they didn't seem to be doing each other any good. But Steph's problem is still his father, not his GF, IMO.

Is this going to be the most wide-open Roland Garros in 19 years? I think so. Time to open the speculation thread! :)

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There's an up and coming NBA basketball star Anthony AntMan Edwards who looks like he has that "King Kong ain't got # over me"! Edwards wants all the smoke and isn't afraid of anyone including Durant, LeBron and the entire NBA. That's what FAA needs to discover or he will become present day Tomas Berdych. Just my two cents worth.
He must dump that Granma he has at home.She is not bringing him luck at all,all she wants is fillers ..

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
That's a long dry spell! Have you got your eye on a new favorite? Fonseca?
No clear cut favorite, at least not at the very top... Amongst the top 10, Rublev would be my guy, but I know he is not top 3 level just yet...

As for Fonseca, obviously I hope he does well, not only he is Brazilian (and, I'll be honest, in a lot of sports I actually don´t care for Brazillians, but in tennis I do), but he´s got the playing style and mindset that I like (plus, he is not an ass). But still a long way from being my "favorite" player.

Reactions: Moxie

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

If it's not Sinner, Alcaraz, Rafa or Novak my money is on Zverev or Rune before the Greek...