Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2024 - Masters 1000

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Hmm. I'm surprised because at 15, 16, 17 Rafa should have faced some old stooges back in the day
Well when Nads was a teen, there weren't many 37 yr olds still playing. This playing into the late 30's really started w/ this generation (Connors being an exception). Think back to who was playing back then. I think they all hung it up in their early 30's.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lets see how Rafa goes against the 'Energiser Bunny' for the 2nd time in a round 2 match, Rafa didnt get much rhythm from this match, which was to be expected
Anyway a good experience for Blanch

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the time to let it rip ! This kid is still growing into his body. @don_fabio @Fiero425 do y'all remember playing tennis at that age..I could play 7 straight hours in 90 s with just a jug of Kool aid jajaja
Rafa certainly didnt rip his serve in Barcelona, lets see how he goes against The Energiser Bunny in his next match, which will be on Saturday

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes he is the spitting image of his dad :)
Sure is! :lol6:

minime.jpg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
This is the time to let it rip ! This kid is still growing into his body. @don_fabio @Fiero425 do y'all remember playing tennis at that age..I could play 7 straight hours in 90 s with just a jug of Kool aid jajaja

Of course! I usually don't bore friends telling them how much I played! The family knew I wasn't just obsessed w/ the game, I truly lived around the clock to play & watch the game! I started playing when the "Tennis Boom" started in the 70's after Evert & Connors won Wimbledon! I played after school & in the Summer, someone would ring my bell to play as early as 8 AM w/ 2 courts just down the street! It wasn't usually to stay out there all day w/o a jug of Kool-Aid! I barely drank water back then! I just hated that feeling of liquids sloshing around in my stomach! I learned later, that was why I had severe cramps in my legs; esp. at night when trying to sleep! Total dehydration! In some ways that was why I was so healthy; actually fasting most of the day w/ all that exercise! I'd have dinner w/ family then head to courts with lights! At U of Chgo., a court stayed lit until midnight! I only did that a couple times after I turned 18! I was on court competing well over 12 hours if I wasn't teaching the game! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Cool. Fonseca is great to watch. Let's go win RG, Struff! What an absolute BEAST! Always liked his game and it's crazy it took this long for him to win a title. No one wants to play this guy in this form!

Reactions: mrzz

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course! I usually don't bore friends telling them how much I played! The family knew I wasn't just obsessed w/ the game, I truly lived around the clock to play & watch the game! I started playing when the "Tennis Boom" started in the 70's after Evert & Connors won Wimbledon! I played after school & in the Summer, someone would ring my bell to play as early as 8 AM w/ 2 courts just down the street! It wasn't usually to stay out there all day w/o a jug of Kool-Aid! I barely drank water back then! I just hated that feeling of liquids sloshing around in my stomach! I learned later, that was why I had severe cramps in my legs; esp. at night when trying to sleep! Total dehydration! In some ways that was why I was so healthy; actually fasting most of the day w/ all that exercise! I'd have dinner w/ family then head to courts with lights! At U of Chgo., a court stayed lit until midnight! I only did that a couple times after I turned 18! I was on court competing well over 12 hours if I wasn't teaching the game! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
No I wasn't trying to bore anyone. I just recall being so young at age 16 and 17. Endurance wasn't even a consideration.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cool. Fonseca is great to watch. Let's go win RG, Struff! What an absolute BEAST! Always liked his game and it's crazy it took this long for him to win a aq m b h hhv hhhbbbbbh mtitle. No one wants to play this guy in this form!

I was also suprised that he just got first title to his name. Struff can be tough to beat when in form, but doesn't play that good for longer periods of time. He shows his best tennis on clay, that's how it looks to me. Last year in Madrid he played brilliant before he was stopped in final against Alcaraz.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
El Dude and Mrzz will be happy with this result,
17 yo WC Fonseca aka Fonzie d Michelson 46 60 62 to get a first ever MS1000 win in Madrid!
This kid is *really* going places. I saw most of the match. A lot of things to be impressed about, but one is that he was able to turn around it completely. He lost the first four games, faced break point to go 0-5. Erased it with a big forehand, and dictated play more and more with each passing game. Some of his winners were unreal. Michelsen was playing solid tennis, he is probably still trying to understand what happened out there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This kid is *really* going places. I saw most of the match. A lot of things to be impressed about, but one is that he was able to turn around it completely. He lost the first four games, faced break point to go 0-5. Erased it with a big forehand, and dictated play more and more with each passing game. Some of his winners were unreal. Michelsen was playing solid tennis, he is probably still trying to understand what happened out there.
He has become one of my fav youngsters, agree his ability to turn around the match was good, also his fhand a big weapon in his overall game.also he has good anticipation on the court and has good volleys skills

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
H
Well, I do see some of Mary in there. Like his coloring is hers.