Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2024 - Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gosh the top seeds at Madrid are dropping like 'flys"
I am not surprised Meddy retired, he also has finalists points to defend in Rome
Lehecka wins by retirement 64, Meddy with a upper right leg injury, adductor
Lehecka will play FAA in the SFs, FAA didnt play QFs as his opponent Sinner withdrew with a hip issue

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Worrying about Medvedev and the injury. He's right to pull out. So who's left? FAA v Lehecka and Fritz v Rublev. That goodness I didn't play the draw challenge! The land of opportunity, for sure. Who do you like?

For Lehecka, it's all gravy. The other 3 could definitely use the bump. The sentimental vote goes to Felix. Or maybe Rublev, because he's "overdue." So I'll take Fritz. :)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Worrying about Medvedev and the injury. He's right to pull out. So who's left? FAA v Lehecka and Fritz v Rublev. That goodness I didn't play the draw challenge! The land of opportunity, for sure. Who do you like?

For Lehecka, it's all gravy. The other 3 could definitely use the bump. The sentimental vote goes to Felix. Or maybe Rublev, because he's "overdue." So I'll take Fritz. :)
Hair dude & Tay already have a M1000, so they're not due anymore. It's actually Felix that is due.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Friday, May 3, 2024

1714700730622.png

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hair dude & Tay already have a M1000, so they're not due anymore. It's actually Felix that is due.
Yes, but by his ranking Rublev is wanting. And Felix is not "due." Felix has been playing for the Manila Folders for ages now. If he earns this one, I'll be happy for him...and I hope he does! He's got the most amazing opportunity at a MS1000. Let me see him take advantage of it. Or whichever one. If they don't fight tooth and nail for this one, I don't know what to say about any of them. This is a golden opportunity.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Finally on line after my computer had other ideas:)

Rublev continuing his good form from defeating Alcaraz in his previous match wins the 1st set 64 over Frtiz, Rublev's serve has been his best asset to date so far in this match

I have some sad news regarding Alcaraz I will post on the ATP News. ( he has withdrawn from Rome)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Moxie

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fritz and Rublev are competing for the best hair on tour.Fritz seems like is into being a metrosexual .He had to take a potty break to fix his hair , powder his face and a dab lip gloss.He seems a tad self absorbed and maybe his gf ways are rubbing on to him

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fritz and Rublev are competing for the best hair on tour.Fritz seems like is into being a metrosexual .He had to take a potty break to fix his hair , powder his face and a dab lip gloss.He seems a tad self absorbed and maybe his gf ways are rubbing on to him
Personally speaking Tossip I prefer the 'free flowing locks' of Rublev :)

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Rublev who has found his form in Madrid, he entered Madrid on a 4 match losing streak, reaching his 5th career Masters 1000 final defeating Fritz 64 63
He will be the favorite against FAA or Lehecka.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you noticed that Rublev is no longer screaming like he used to.I like Fritz too because he is not problematic,he comes in does his job and goes home.He never says stupid stuff at all.
Hopefully Rublev can control his temper and outbursts, I never want to see him get in the face of a linesperson again
Fritz to me comes over as a 'cool character' has good composure on a tennis court

Reactions: tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Rublev who has found his form in Madrid, he entered Madrid on a 4 match losing streak, reaching his 5th career Masters 1000 final defeating Fritz 64 63
He will be the favorite against FAA or Lehecka.
FAA really has a chance to win his first 1000 against the young Czech and @kskate2 Keli's named the Big Hair Dude.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hopefully Rublev can control his temper and outbursts, I never want to see him get in the face of a linesperson again
Fritz to me comes over as a 'cool character' has good composure on a tennis court
He definitely hurts himself with his fits of temper. Hopefully getting that under control.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I really like the alternate universe narrative of Rublev taking it to another level and winning a handful of Masters and a Slam or two. Not sure it is going to happen, but I think he has that higher gear.

Reactions: mrzz and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He definitely hurts himself with his fits of temper. Hopefully getting that under control.
Agree, though I must say he has been really focused at Madrid, temper under control, he has played good tennis, now in the final.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Talk about a throw back! I haven't heard that term in about 15 years... :lol6:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, but by his ranking Rublev is wanting. And Felix is not "due." Felix has been playing for the Manila Folders for ages now. If he earns this one, I'll be happy for him...and I hope he does! He's got the most amazing opportunity at a MS1000. Let me see him take advantage of it. Or whichever one. If they don't fight tooth and nail for this one, I don't know what to say about any of them. This is a golden opportunity.
How can you say someone who was 0-8 in finals before he broke through and has really slid in form/confidence not be "due" for a M1000 title?

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A MTO for Lehecka who has gone off court
A lot of blame is due to players playing on this court with injuries, especially with leg injuries, plays have to adjust trying to slide etc, like a clay court at the end of the day it is a hard court, Meddy was saying this yesterday when he had to retire with a leg injury