Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2023 - WTA 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Anna Kalinskaya defeats Elena Rybakina #7, 75 46 62. It is only the second time this year that Rybakina loses at her debut match in a
tournament, after Adelaide 2 ( L to Kvitova). Kalinskaya gets her 3rd Top 10 win, first on clay

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swiatek No 1 seed who missed last year at Madrid had no trouble in her match, winning in SS 63 62 over Grabher

Earlier Jess Pegula No 3 seed who I feel likes the faster conditions in Madrid, won in SS 76(5) 63 over Frech

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Last ladies match today,
Bianca Andreescu's first match back since injuring her left ankle in Miami, wins the 1st set 63 over X.Wang

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course I went out for a run expected Andresscu to win in SS and found she lost in a TB
Why cant she win in SS for a change, into the 3rd set now

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca you are frustrating 63 and then 3-0 up loses a TB serve went AWOL and lost the match
Wang d Andreescu 36 76(5) 62 ( I was suppose I should not be too hard on Bibi, seeing this is her first match back, hoping she can stay injury free for the rest of the year, she has had too much time off the tour in her career as it is).

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_2419.jpeg

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Mirra Andreeva, on her 16th birthday, defeats 2023 Australian Open semifinalist Magda Linette 6-3, 6-3.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Coco taking another beating. Maybe when she gets tired of getting whacked, she’ll put a stop to this. No way she defends those finalist points. It may be the best thing right now as the expectations will lessen when she’s not top 10 anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco taking another beating. Maybe when she gets tired of getting whacked, she’ll put a stop to this. No way she defends those finalist points. It may be the best thing right now as the expectations will lessen when she’s not top 10 anymore

Considering her last tournament on clay and the way she played, I remember saying those exact words to you, " no way she will defend finalist points at RG this year, I could go on again what is needed for change in her game, I am over talking like a 'recorded message'.
Paula Badosa d Coco Gauff 63 60, must give credit to Badosa, her game was 'on song' today in this match, finding her game again on the clay

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have been impressed by this Russian youngster Mirra Andreeva who received a WC into Madrid and rightly so, on her 16th birthday is now the youngest player to reach a WTA1000 and only the 4th player under 17 to do so since the format began in 2009, Anisimova, Gauff and Linda Fruhvirtova.Raw, she defeated Linnette (17) today 63 63 and she will now face Sabalenka in her next match

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Considering her last tournament on clay and the way she played, I remember saying those exact words to you, " no way she will defend finalist points at RG this year, I could go on again what is needed for change in her game, I am over talking like a 'recorded message'.
Paula Badosa d Coco Gauff 63 60, must give credit to Badosa, her game was 'on song' today in this match, finding her game again on the clay
You did say this exact thing at Stuttgart and I didn't disagree. My comment today is for anyone who's still smoking that pipe dream of her winning a slam right now. What I've seen from her the last few months is disturbing. She's actually gone backwards instead of getting better. She's getting bossed by everyone and their mama and because she's lost confidence she's extremely tentative. It's a real problem and needs to be fixed immediately.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Paula playing well again. I'd like to see it more consistently. Maybe at home will actually spark her back to the top where she belongs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Help me!
I went for a run and came back to see Garia (5) was beaten in SS by Sherif 76(2) 63
Back to the drawing board for you Caroline!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Final ladies match between Sakkari (9) vs the Italian Masarova who is a very tall young lady over 6ft, she wins the 1st set 63
Another player who has lost the plot and her game is Maria Sakkari so far this year
Sakkari wins the 2nd set 63, though it was a battle in ways, going 3 sets

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Coco's game new a total reboot because the tour has caught up with her.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Help me!
I went for a run and came back to see Garia (5) was beaten in SS by Sherif 76(2) 63
Back to the drawing board for you Caroline!
I never bought into Caroline Garcia. She's gone through 3 different coaches in a short span, and the problems are the same. At some point, it's the player, not the coaches. Caroline just doesn't have it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never bought into Caroline Garcia. She's gone through 3 different coaches in a short span, and the problems are the same. At some point, it's the player, not the coaches. Caroline just doesn't have it.
Well, you could have told me THAT before I picked her to go deep in my draw. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I thought she was on an up-swing. Anyway, glad to see Sakkari get through.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Final ladies match between Sakkari (9) vs the Italian Masarova who is a very tall young lady over 6ft, she wins the 1st set 63
Another player who has lost the plot and her game is Maria Sakkari so far this year
Sakkari wins the 2nd set 63, though it was a battle in ways, going 3 sets
Sakkari wins 36 63 63

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Garcia has the game, see her results when she cut apron strings with her dad as her coach which was her long term coach, yes she does have it, now back with her coach who took her to have a good summer last year and she won the finals of the WTA last year
I suggest Gauff does the same thing with her father, as Kskate said today and I agree Coco has gone backwards in her game this year, she needs a experienced coach, she is getting hit off the court with big hitters, she just relies on her defensive game, Badosa hit her off the court today in her match, giving Coco a bagel in the 2nd set.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco's game new a total reboot because the tour has caught up with her.
Coco relies too much on her defensive game, she is too tentative, not sure when to go on the attack, her FH wing just gets attacked over and over again, just easy points for her opponents, the thing is she is a good athlete and for the life of me I do not understand why is is 'late on her fhand wing' then she just swipes at the ball., a experienced coach "can' fix that.