Mutua Madrid Open 2021, Madrid, Spain, WTA 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Manolo Santana Stadium,
Starting at 1.30pm

Ladies Doubles Final,

(2) B.Krejcikova (CZE) / K.Siniakova (CZE) vs (3) G.Dabrowski (CAN) / D.Schuurs (NED).

Ladies Singles Final,
Not before 6.30pm,

A/Barty (1) vs A.Sabalenka (5)
I'll be pulling for Ash.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This better be a good final it is just after 2am in the morning here in Sydney

Congratulations to the No2 seeds Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova defeating No3 seeds Gabriela Dabrowski and Demi Schuurs 64 63.
It is the Czech's pair,second title of the season,their seventh WTA Doubles title as a team.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good lord Sabalenka is like a bullet train,leading 5-0 1st set,with just 1 UFE,she is unplayable at the moment though can she keep this level up?

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka gave Ash a bagel in the 1st set 6-0,lets see if Ash can counter her in the 2nd set.Best I have seen Sabalenka play with just 1 UFE and controlled aggression.
BTW I have this match on 'mute' the Howler aka Sabalenka is too loud and especially at 3.30am here in the morning :)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Sabalenka defeating Barty 60 36 64....the first set she was unplayable with 1 UFE and deserves the trophy at Madrid!..Avenges her last two losses to Barty in Stuggart,Miami.This is the first loss for Ash on the red clay since 2019 in Rome.
This is Sabalenka's 10th WTA title and her first clay title, she will rise to No 4 in the rankings on Monday.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So happy for Sabalenka, something about her is somewhat Azarenka-like, aka the hard working grinding style.

Her and Barty should know each others game so well now, their 3rd 3 set match in 2 1/2 months. What I enjoy about their matchups is that they have such contrasting different styles. Power versus guile. Angles and spins versus flat out winners, there is constant strategizing anf maneuvering. Would not be shocked if they met again at Roland Garos.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So happy for Sabalenka, something about her is somewhat Azarenka-like, aka the hard working grinding style.

Her and Barty should know each others game so well now, their 3rd 3 set match in 2 1/2 months. What I enjoy about their matchups is that they have such contrasting different styles. Power versus guile. Angles and spins versus flat out winners, there is constant strategizing anf maneuvering. Would not be shocked if they met again at Roland Garos.
Interesting comparison with Azarenka, JF. I'm only just catching up to watching Sabalenka more of late and I do like her. Very good point about the contrast in styles. It's what made Roger/Rafa always so compelling. Our Tennis Channel said they are shaping up to be the best rivalry in the women's game atm.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting comparison with Azarenka, JF. I'm only just catching up to watching Sabalenka more of late and I do like her. Very good point about the contrast in styles. It's what made Roger/Rafa always so compelling. Our Tennis Channel said they are shaping up to be the best rivalry in the women's game atm.
I have to mute Sabalenka I am afraid she is a Howler and can be a Drama Queen.The conditions in Madrid suited her,this is her first clay title,lets see how she goes in Rome,more importantly RG.