Mutua Madrid Open 2014

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyway, doesn't really matter. Losing to pova is no biggie.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMNLC9NAsM[/video]

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Denisovich said:

It's not a small deal either. She has trouble closing matches. Always has. It's one of the reasons she hasn't won more titles.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Simo takes charge of the match nabbing the opener over Ana 6-2

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Wow, Li blew that match, just giving points away.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Just saw this stat - is it true - in taking the first set, Li had 0 winners? There are players that 0 winners in a 1/4final of a big event would not surprise me (hello, Aga), but Li?

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I hope Serena is fine and will be ready for the French Open.

I am almost certain she withdrew for precaution. Thinking probably is, she'd have to play 4 straights days and then play the Italian Open. She got three well played matches in, and the Italian Open is by far the more prestigious event anyway.

Now she'll have 4 to 5 days rest, before her first match in Rome and a weeks rest after the Italian.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Denisovich said:

It's not a small deal either. She has trouble closing matches. Always has. It's one of the reasons she hasn't won more titles.

Hmm yes, well it's a small deal for me then ;) . She definitely has difficulty closing out, but I think she also has reached great heights, considering where she came from.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Halep will likely defeat Petra and meet Maria in the final. I really like her chance against Maria. Sharapova hasn't been sharp. She will not have donations from Halep like she did against McHale and Li or even from Ana in Stuttgart.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moose said:
Just saw this stat - is it true - in taking the first set, Li had 0 winners? There are players that 0 winners in a 1/4final of a big event would not surprise me (hello, Aga), but Li?

She had no baseline winners in the 1st set. I believe she had a swing volley, but really raced through the set because Maria was very lackluster.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Simo completes the sweep 6-2 6-2. Ana had no answers for Halep's depth and committed too many errors.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx23gvHiHhE[/video]

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Halep will likely defeat Petra and meet Maria in the final. I really like her chance against Maria. Sharapova hasn't been sharp. She will not have donations from Halep like she did against McHale and Li or even from Ana in Stuttgart.

I am surprised Simona made it this far, I don't think she can get past Petra, but then I thought she would fall to Ana.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu

I disagree,Petra to me makes too many errors,also she hasnt got the patience on clay.I am quite confident that Simona can win that match as well,if she can repeat her performance today over Ana she can win over Petra.

my sherona

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Guys give credit where the credit is due .. Maria dominates li. Li does not choked" she was beaten. Period

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sweetheart, she wasn't dominating Li in the first 2 sets when she was being run all over the court. You're relatively new here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I am the first to give credit where it's due. I'll also tell it like it is as I am not blinded by fandom.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
Kiu

I disagree,Petra to me makes too many errors,also she hasnt got the patience on clay.I am quite confident that Simona can win that match as well,if she can repeat her performance today over Ana she can win over Petra.

This. What errors Petra doesn't commit will be forced because she's out of position.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ty
kskate2 said:
Sweetheart, she wasn't dominating Li in the first 2 sets when she was being run all over the court. You're relatively new here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I am the first to give credit where it's due. I'll also tell it like it is as I am not blinded by fandom.

Exactly!!

That was Li match to win or lose. She had the match on her racquet and repackaged with with a plethora of UNFORCED errors.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Garcia comes from a break down to take the 2nd set off Aga 6-4

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:
Denisovich said:

Hmm yes, well it's a small deal for me then ;) . She definitely has difficulty closing out, but I think she also has reached great heights, considering where she came from.

Just the fact that she made #2 ranking at her age, her highest ever, is an impressive feat.

But inconsistency has always haunted her.

Another fact is that Serena lost points here but Li gained some! The Gap will get closer next week.