MOVIES, STARS, AND ENTERTAINMENT TRIVIA

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Personally, like McEnroe/Borg, I think they'd be better off waiting 20-30 years. At least until they're retired.

Depends Mox. If the script revolves around their careers leading up to - and including 2008 Wimbledon - then the time is about right, keeping with the doco and the Wertheim book . If you want to have a more detailed biopic including post 2008 then yeah perhaps another 10 years from now would be ideal.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mox I wanna get in one more quiz. Do you or anyone know this?

Released, 1963.

Medical, part Comedy.

All star cast including a young Robert Duval and a certain female who later on would star in a police series.

Which movie and who was the female?
It's not a quiz it's a question. The actress is Angie Dickinson? I'm working on it.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's not a quiz it's a question. The actress is Angie Dickinson? I'm working on it.

Io penso che Mox otterrà questo.

Which is italian for "me thinks Mox will remember the answer".:-)2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Io penso che Mox otterrà questo.

Which is italian for "me thinks Mox will remember the answer".:-)2
If it's 1963, and it has Robert Duval and Angie Dickenson, it can't be a classic. Is it one of those goofy early 60s films with a cast of thousands?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a classic. Another clue - The movie's storyline revolves around a special U.S. ward doctor, who is under-resourced and established at an Army Air Corps hospital during World War 2. That should do it...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And it's set in Italy?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I gave up and looked it up on IMDB. Was it Captain Newman, MD? I have never seen that film, nor really heard of it. Could be fun, though.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
AW Moxie. I felt so sure you would know this. Yes 100 percent recommended. Bobby Darin is also in the cast and has a highly emotive scene. Interesting that Robert Duvall who was also in Gregory Peck's To Kill a Mockingbird, he plays virtually the same role.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, I'll give it a look. Seems totally up my street.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I want the answers, please & I'll set another quiz later after I've come back from work. I had no idea at all about your quiz. I'd been teaching a school full of primary school children about life in the 1940's yesterday & answering their million & 1 questions was easier. I really enjoyed myself though. It's a training day today. I've got art history this morning & quilting this afternoon.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want the answers, please & I'll set another quiz later after I've come back from work. I had no idea at all about your quiz. I'd been teaching a school full of primary school children about life in the 1940's yesterday & answering their million & 1 questions was easier. I really enjoyed myself though. It's a training day today. I've got art history this morning & quilting this afternoon.

i answered a few of MOX's 10 questions and then JELENAFAN got the rest of the answers right. See his post of page 4.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's mix things up (yet again) with this new quiz.

Released late 1950's.

A British- made Black and White, Drama, Crime, with some "rock and roll" , kind of the British answer to 'Blackboard Jungle'.

This storyline involves a Juvenile Police officer who becomes
involved with two young orphans and their older Sister and Brother.

The Older Brother is a Juvenile Deliquent.

What is the films title and who starred in it?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I gave up and looked it up on IMDB. Was it Captain Newman, MD? I have never seen that film, nor really heard of it. Could be fun, though.
OK, I watched some of it. I would not call that film a "classic," TBH.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, I'll do a quiz, riffing off some of your themes, @vince evert.

1. "Blow Out" was a remake. Can you name the original? Extra points for naming the director, any stars.
2. Another ground-breaking film, also starring Sidney Poitier, involving an interracial couple, made in the '60s. Extra credit: it was the last film of one of its iconic stars, who was that?
3. Who was the director of "Blow Out"? Name any of his other films, and his greatest influence, another great director.
4. "A Star is Born" has been remade how many times? Name any of the actors/directors in any iteration.
5. Who was the first (and to-date only) woman to win an Oscar as a Director? Can you name her, and the film?
6. Who was the first African American to win an Oscar in any acting category? First Best Actor? First Best Actress? (By which I mean AA.)
7. "Clueless" is based on what Jane Austen book?
8. "10 Things I hate about you" is based on what Shakespearean play?
9. Name any film based on a Patricia Highsmith novel. (There are many. Points for each.)
10. Best sequel of all time. (This is an opinion question. No wrong answers, unless I deem them so. Hey, it's my quiz.)

Just to finish the quiz answers:
A lot of people did come up with the answers.

#3. Brian DePalma is most influenced by Hitchcock.
#5: Katherine Bigelow directed "Hurt Locker." Film was identified correctly. "Near Dark" was a great mention. I also love "Point Break."
#10: I would have accepted "The Empire Strikes Back" as a great sequel to "Star Wars." :)

I think @Horsa has agreed to do the next one.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, I watched some of it. I would not call that film a "classic," TBH.

It's reminiscent to "Operation Petticoat" movie - a blend of comedy and drama. Now then, MOX did you get to the scene where Bobby Darin is going through a nervous breakdown during hypnosis ?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's reminiscent to "Operation Petticoat" movie - a blend of comedy and drama. Now then, MOX did you get to the scene where Bobby Darin is going through a nervous breakdown during hypnosis ?
No, I had to stop. It's a pretty kooky film.

Horsa

Reactions
Just to finish the quiz answers:
A lot of people did come up with the answers.

#3. Brian DePalma is most influenced by Hitchcock.
#5: Katherine Bigelow directed "Hurt Locker." Film was identified correctly. "Near Dark" was a great mention. I also love "Point Break."
#10: I would have accepted "The Empire Strikes Back" as a great sequel to "Star Wars." :)

I think @Horsa has agreed to do the next one.
I did. See the next post.

Horsa

Reactions
Singer & band anagram quiz.

The following are singers & bands for you to unscramble.

1. Ciflf Crihdar
2. Eth Eatlbes
3. Likey Gnomeiu
4. Het lorlngi tsones
5. Yab ticy lorerls
6. Ysohwdaddywad
7. Nege Tipeny
8. Dor wertsar
9. Sonaj Vaodnan
10. Lebdina Lisleracl

My! That was hard. Auto-correct was trying to correct some of the spellings.