MOVIES, STARS, AND ENTERTAINMENT TRIVIA

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK I have a film quiz.

The movie was made and released early 1980's,

It is a crime, political and drama film.

Synopsis involves car crash that leads to the death of a politician.

It was recorded by accident (so to speak).

What is the film's title and who starred in it ?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
OK I have a film quiz.

The movie was made and released early 1980's,

It is a crime, political and drama film.

Synopsis involves car crash that leads to the death of a politician.

It was recorded by accident (so to speak).

What is the film's title and who starred in it ?

Sounds like “Blow Out” which starred John Travolta.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Released 1967,

This film is police drama and with a racially hostile storyline,

Film later would became a TV series in the U.S. but with a different cast.

The Movie is ?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Released 1967,

This film is police drama and with a racially hostile storyline,

Film later would became a TV series in the U.S. but with a different cast.

The Movie is ?

Ugh ... I can’t think of the title. It starred Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier. The title will come to me ...

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
that's the one. Well done !

Here's a pivotal scene from one of the best ever movies, a G.O.A.T, you could say.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, I'll do a quiz, riffing off some of your themes, @vince evert.

1. "Blow Out" was a remake. Can you name the original? Extra points for naming the director, any stars.
2. Another ground-breaking film, also starring Sidney Poitier, involving an interracial couple, made in the '60s. Extra credit: it was the last film of one of its iconic stars, who was that?
3. Who was the director of "Blow Out"? Name any of his other films, and his greatest influence, another great director.
4. "A Star is Born" has been remade how many times? Name any of the actors/directors in any iteration.
5. Who was the first (and to-date only) woman to win an Oscar as a Director? Can you name her, and the film?
6. Who was the first African American to win an Oscar in any acting category? First Best Actor? First Best Actress? (By which I mean AA.)
7. "Clueless" is based on what Jane Austen book?
8. "10 Things I hate about you" is based on what Shakespearean play?
9. Name any film based on a Patricia Highsmith novel. (There are many. Points for each.)
10. Best sequel of all time. (This is an opinion question. No wrong answers, unless I deem them so. Hey, it's my quiz.)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1. "Blow Out" was a remake. Can you name the original? Extra points for naming the director, any stars.
2. Another ground-breaking film, also starring Sidney Poitier, involving an interracial couple, made in the '60s. Extra credit: it was the last film of one of its iconic stars, who was that?
3. Who was the director of "Blow Out"? Name any of his other films, and his greatest influence, another great director.
4. "A Star is Born" has been remade how many times? Name any of the actors/directors in any iteration.
5. Who was the first (and to-date only) woman to win an Oscar as a Director? Can you name her, and the film?
6. Who was the first African American to win an Oscar in any acting category? First Best Actor? First Best Actress? (By which I mean AA.)
9. Name any film based on a Patricia Highsmith novel. (There are many. Points for each.)
10. Best sequel of all time. (This is an opinion question. No wrong answers, unless I deem them so. Hey, it's my quiz.)

1. Blow-Up (1966). I actually posted this on the Movies thread. Director was Michelangelo Antonioni.
2. Guess who's Coming To Dinner (1967)
3. Brian De Palmer was director of Blow-Out.
4. Three times following the original (1938).
10. Must be The Godfather 2, as in Mox's favorite sequel, right ?

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. Blow-Up (1966). I actually posted this on the Movies thread. Director was Michelangelo Antonioni.
2. Guess who's Coming To Dinner (1967)
3. Brian De Palmer was director of Blow-Out.
4. Three times following the original (1938).
10. Must be The Godfather 2, as in Mox's favorite sequel, right ?
Well done! So far. Brian "De Palma", though, and I'm fussy about that, as it happens to be my own surname. (No relation.)

"Godfather 2" is indeed the most correct answer to #10. There is one other potential acceptable, with some in the weeds that I might consider. Let's see how others weigh in.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
6. Who was the first African American to win an Oscar in any acting category? First Best Actor?

I reckon Sidney Poitier was. Either Lilies of the Field or A Patch of Blue.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well done! So far. Brian "De Palma", though, and I'm fussy about that, as it happens to be my own surname. (No relation.)

"Godfather 2" is indeed the most correct answer to #10. There is one other potential acceptable, with some in the weeds that I might consider. Let's see how others weigh in.

can you write a script on Rafa's rivalry with Roger? The script recurring theme must be 2008 wimbledon final. It'll be a commercial winner :yahoo:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Let me give this a shot;

4. Star is born was first made in the 30’s starring Janet Gaynor & Fredric March, director: William wellman? redone in the 50’s with a Judy Garland & James Mason, Director: George Cukor; in the 70’s Barbara Streisand & Khris Kristofferson, Director : I’m drawing a blank, was it Barbara herself? Of course the last one was a year ago with lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper directed by Bradley Cooper.

Here’s more trivia on it, the first Star is Born ( screenplay Alan & Dorthy Parker?) loosely borrowed a lot from a film made a few years earlier “ What price Hollywood” starring Constance Bennet. In that film it was a rising film star and the one in decline was the boozing Director who had discovered her.

The director of that film was George Cukor who directed the 2nd ASIB. They say he was offered the first one but turned it down in part because it was awkwardly too similar to WPH. There was supposedly talk the studio that made that film was tempted to sue for plagiarism.

Another side note: “ What Price Hollywood “ was made pre Code days. My wife and I saw it last year on TCM and there’s a scene with Constance Bennet where her and her husband are in the same bed in their bedroom. It was a little jarring to watch since within a year it was double beds for all married couples in Hollywood!

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
5. Ahhhgggg!! The director of the “Hurt Locker”. Ironically she won the year her ex husband’s(James Cameron) film “Avatar” won Best Picture. I remember one of my favorite movies of all time was a stylish vampire film “ near dark” early in her career. What is her name?

6. Hattie McDaniel as Mammie in Gone with the Wind for best supporting actress. Sidney Poitier has been named as Best Actor. I think Halle Berry was the first for best Actress.

7. Clueless is based on “ Emma”

8. The Taming of the Shrew

9. “The talented Mr Ridley”, a French version called “Purple Noon” starring Alain Delon, “ Strangers on a Train” one of my favorite Hitchhock films.

10. As previously mentioned “ The Godfather part 2” “ you’re my baby brother Michael....”

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That’s Wertheim’s book and documentary, “Strokes of Genius” (an unfortunate title, IMO).

i know it but isn't it about time this thing was made into a biopic?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well done, everyone! Shall I give the rest of the answers? How's up for the doing the next quiz?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mox I wanna get in one more quiz. Do you or anyone know this?

Released, 1963.

Medical, part Comedy.

All star cast including a young Robert Duval and a certain female who later on would star in a police series.

Which movie and who was the female?