MOVIES, STARS, AND ENTERTAINMENT TRIVIA

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
These questions/clues are sort of inter-laced. If you can't get one, go to the one below it and it might give you the answer to the one above. I hope I've made the questions clear. I've bolded the questions to be answered, for clarity.

1. The great American epic, "Gone with the Wind," starred what English actress as it's central, iconic heroine, Scarlett O'Hara?
2. That great actress was married to what storied English Shakespearean actor?
3. That actor starred in The Prince and the Showgirl with what American actress, also an icon, known for her pulchritude and comedic chops.
4. That American actress starred in a musical where she sang "Diamonds are a girl's best friend." What was the name of the film?
5. That film was directed by Howard Hawks. He directed a famous Hollywood couple in two films: The Big Sleep, and To Have and Have Not. Can you name them? (1 point for each)
6. The man in that couple starred with Ingrid Bergman and Claude Raines in a classic film of about the 2nd World War set in Morocco, and was named for one of it's largest cities. What is the film?
7. A classic line from that film is, "Play it, Sam." What was the song that Sam played?
8. One of the early films by this American comedian-turned-director was called "Play it Again, Sam," after the classic film referenced above. He later went on to bigger hits such as "Annie Hall," and "Manhattan." Name the director.
9. Name the actress who was the muse of this director in "Annie Hall" (for which she won the Oscar) was in several other of his films.
10. That actress later dated another famous actor/director and they starred in "Reds" together, which he directed. He was a famous womanizer, linked to Natalie Wood, amongst others. Name this actor/director.
11. This actor-director was also in a long-term relationship with a British actress. They starred together in "McCabe & Mrs. Miller." Her early break-out film was "Darling." She also starred in "Dr. Zhivago." Name her.
12. The male star of "Dr. Zhivago" was the love interest in "Funny Girl." He was Egyptian. Can you name him?
13. That actor also featured in the great David Lean epic based on the adventures of T.E. Lawrence. What was the name of that film? (A hint is contained in that question.)
14. The star of the above film was multiply nominated for an Academy Award, including for such films as Beckett, A Lion in Winter, and Goodbye, Mr. Chips. He never won, but was given an honorary Oscar. He died in 2013. Can you name him?
1st of all, I'd like to say that was a very well thought out quiz. I love the connections. At 1st I thought that's a hard 1 & I thought I knew the answer to some but couldn't come up with it but on a 2nd read I saw a way in.

1. I know Clarke Gable played her husband. I can see her. Damn! I can't think of her name.
2. John Gielgud.
3. Marilyn Monroe
4. I'll guess at the 7 year itch
5. I haven't got a clue
6. El Alamein / Tobruk?
7. No idea
8. Woody Allen
12. Omar Sharif
13. Lawrence of Arabia

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was fun to do. Here are the answers:

1. Vivien Leigh (I was sure you'd get that one.)
2. Lawrence Olivier
3. Correct
4. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
5. Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall
6. Casablanca
7. "As Time Goes By"
8. Correct
9. Diane Keaton
10. Warren Beatty
11. Julie Christie
12. Correct
13. Correct
14. Peter O'Toole

Horsa

Reactions
That was fun to do. Here are the answers:

1. Vivien Leigh (I was sure you'd get that one.)
2. Lawrence Olivier
3. Correct
4. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
5. Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall
6. Casablanca
7. "As Time Goes By"
8. Correct
9. Diane Keaton
10. Warren Beatty
11. Julie Christie
12. Correct
13. Correct
14. Peter O'Toole
I was kicking myself when you gave the answers because as soon as you told me some of them I thought "oh yes! it was at the back of my mind somewhere like question 1. I actually had Lawrence Olivier for answer 2 for a while but thought of the other guy too so decided to change it.

Horsa

Reactions
  1. Who is Dr. Dolittle in the original film?
  2. Who is Dr. Dolittle in the modern retakes? There are 4 of them if I'm not mistaken?
  3. In which film do you find the line "Come on Chester! Move your blooming arse!"?
  4. Who was Professor Higgins played by in My fair Lady?
  5. Who played Eliza Dolittle in the same film?
  6. Who does Maggie Smith play in the Sister Act films?
  7. Who does Whoopi Goldberg play in these films?
  8. In what film do you find the songs hot stuff, I believe in miracles & you can leave your hat on?
  9. In what films do you find the line "everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright it's not yet the end."?
  10. In what film do you get the song "love is all around" by Wet Wet Wet? For an extra point, who originally sung it?
  11. Which film that depicts William Wilberforce fighting to & succeeding in abolishing slavery in Britain is named after a famous hymn which is often played on bagpipes?
  12. What film set in the American depression is about a race-horse?
  13. In what film does Elizabeth Taylor play a jockey?
  14. Who played Moses in the 10 commandments?
  15. What film is based on a book by Lew Wallace?
  16. What film is about 4 elderly men sick of going to funerals wanting to have fun before they die so deciding to go on holiday together?
  17. Which modern film is about the people who worked hard to save art from the Nazis (for future generations) during the 2nd world war?
  18. In which film do you find the character Annie Oakley?
  19. In what film do you find the song "Oh! What a beautiful morning!"?
  20. In which film do you find the song "Good Morning!"?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. Rex Harrison
2. Gene Wilder?
3. My Fair Lady.
4. Rex Harrison
5. Audrey Hepburn
6. The Mother Superior?
7. Some convict nun?
9. (Oh, man! I know this one...)
12. (I think I read this book. Driving me crazy. The little horse with crooked legs.)
13. National Velvet
14. Charleton Heston
15. (A biblical one? Quo Vadis?)
16. Last Call
17. (I saw this and am so close to remembering. Somebody or other's Army.)
18. Annie Get Your Gun
19. Oaklahoma!
20. Singing in the Rain

That's the best I can do.

Horsa

Reactions
1. Rex Harrison
2. Gene Wilder?
3. My Fair Lady.
4. Rex Harrison
5. Audrey Hepburn
6. The Mother Superior?
7. Some convict nun?
9. (Oh, man! I know this one...)
12. (I think I read this book. Driving me crazy. The little horse with crooked legs.)
13. National Velvet
14. Charleton Heston
15. (A biblical one? Quo Vadis?)
16. Last Call
17. (I saw this and am so close to remembering. Somebody or other's Army.)
18. Annie Get Your Gun
19. Oaklahoma!
20. Singing in the Rain

That's the best I can do.

1. Correct answer
2. Eddie Murphy
3. Correct
4. Right answer
5. Right
6. Correct
7. The answer I was looking for was Delores Van Cartier but I realise you could have given Sister Mary Clarence or the answer you gave & you've been generous to me so instead of 1/2 a point I'll give you the full point.
8. The full monty
9. The best exotic marigold hotel films
10. 4 weddings & a funeral. The Troggs
11. Amazing grace
12. Seabiscuit
13. Correct answer
14. Right answer
15. You were right in that it was a Biblical 1 but it was Ben Hur.
16. Last Vegas
17. The monuments men
18. Right
19. Correct answer
20. Correct

You got 11.

Horsa

Reactions
I know this is out of place here but as 1 of the questions I asked earlier this year was there are 3 films which feature the song "White Xmas" by Bing Crosby, "White Xmas" was 1 of them what were the other 2? & I answered them & it's almost Xmas now & I'm in the Xmas spirit I decided to share all 3 films featuring "White Xmas".

https://www.movieswatchfreeonline.com/free-movies/watch/high-society-1956/

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
I've got 1 on music this time. You may find it easy.

1. Who was nick-named "The King of Skiffle"? For an extra point name his band.
2. Who sang a song about an artist?
3. Don McLean's "American pie" refers to the "Day the music died" which was how he referred to the day 3 singers died in a plane crash. Who were they?
4. Who was known as "The King of Rock & Roll"?
5. Who is the most well-known Motown singer?
6. What is a crescendo?
7. What is a diminuendo?
8. If you're singing a song acapella, how are you singing it?
9. Who is the most well-known Reggae singer?
10. Which song contains the line, "He bought you a race-horse for Xmas"?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Diana Ross.

6. What is a crescendo?
a loud dramatic finish to a song or music piece?

voice/ vocals only.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2. Don McLean (Vincent Van Gogh)
3. Buddy Holly was one of them. I could google the rest, but won't cheat. The Big (Something?)
4. Elvis!
5. Best known Motown Singer...I thought Stevie Wonder.
6. (I like Vince's definition) or that the music should get louder
7. That the music should get softer.
8. (Same as Vince) No musical accompaniment
9. Bob Marley

@Horsa: If we don't get any more takers soon, give us the answers, and then maybe @vince evert or I can do another one.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
3. Buddy Holly was one of them. I could google the rest, but won't cheat. The Big (Something?)
4. Elvis!
9. Bob Marley

@Horsa: If we don't get any more takers soon, give us the answers, and then maybe @vince evert or I can do another one.

3. Was Buddy, The Big Bopper and Richie Valens. Also the pilot Roger Peterson.

LOL but i only just arrived at the topic so therefore, i do not know what the rules are or what has gone before here.

Good topic though. Another one of those non-tennis challenges that rattles our heads and brains !;)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

LOL but i only just arrived at the topic so therefore, i do not know what the rules are or what has gone before here.

Good topic though. Another one of those non-tennis challenges that rattles our heads and brains !
Excellent, yes, as to the Day the Music Died. There are no rules. These little quizzes don't get a lot of attention, but they're fun. Horsa brought one back up. If you want to reciprocate one, I think at least she and I will play.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so the questions need to be about music, movies ,arts and some politics, is that right?

Horsa

Reactions
Diana Ross.

6. What is a crescendo?
a loud dramatic finish to a song or music piece?

voice/ vocals only.
3 correct. I'd have the answer to question 6 as a song that starts quiet & gets louder until it reaches a climax though.

Horsa

Reactions
4. Elvis!
9. Bob Marley

7 2/3 of a question correct. I was generous & gave you a point for getting that it was about Van Gogh. I've shared it below.

I gave you 2/3 for the big bopper as you just forgot the last word. I'd define a diminuendo as the opposite of a crescendo as in it starts from a climax & gets quieter until it fades away though.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions

Good topic though. Another one of those non-tennis challenges that rattles our heads and brains !;)
Correct for 3. I give you another point for the pilot though I just asked for the singers.

Horsa

Reactions
The answers

1. Lonnie Donegan & his skiffle group
2. Don McLean
3. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens & the Big Bopper
4. Elvis
5. Diana Ross
6. A song that starts off very quiet & gradually gets louder until it reaches a climax
7. The opposite to a crescendo. It starts off at a climax & gradually gets quieter until it fades.
8. Without any music
9. Bob Marley.
10. Where do you go to my lovely by Peter Sarstedt. I've included the song below so you can hear it for yourself. The verse where the line comes from goes, "Your name is heard in high places. You know the Aga Khan. & he sent you a race-horse for Xmas. & you kept it just for fun, for a laugh, a-ha-ha-ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
3 correct. I'd have the answer to question 6 as a song that starts quiet & gets louder until it reaches a climax though.

yes such as THE BEATLES A Day in the Life. Hey i should add it on my topic now B-)

Horsa

Reactions
yes such as THE BEATLES A Day in the Life. Hey i should add it on my topic now B-)
I know what a crescendo is but not if that song is a crescendo as I haven't heard it. Good idea! I can have a listen to it then.

Last edited: