Miami Open - WTA 1000

Added to Calendar: 12 dates

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ugh a DF from Bianca to lose her opening service game in the 2nd set....her serve needs attention,Bianca has to play a bit more aggressive,Barty has not allowed her to play her game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Strong hold from Barty she makes the game of tennis look soo simple :) she consolidates her break and leads 2-0

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca fell flat on her back?she hit her ankle first which is taped
Back on her feet now

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca stop swatting a volley please...it found the net? I wonder why
Bianca has called for the trainer after that fall

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Brilliant shot from Barty gives her 2BP
Barty breaks again and Bianca is struggling
Trainer on court now for Bianca looks like she is re-tapping her right ankle
Bianca's right ankle re-taped and play to begin
Barty 3-0

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That is way too bad that Andreescu couldn't make a match of it today.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Barty consolidates 4-0
Bianca is crying and will withdraw from playing

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That is way too bad that Andreescu couldn't make a match of it today.
Bianca cannot take a trick with injuries,I feel for her today she has had a great tournament though I felt she did the right thing you dont wont to make that ankle worse.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ash said on court she hopes Bianca will be okay not the way she wanted to win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ash Barty has retained her Miami trophy winning 63 40 after Bianca had to withdraw with a ankle injury.

Ash Barty W 20 UFE 17

Bianca Andreescu W 8 UFE 20

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor Andreescu is always injured. Wasn't hard to see it coming with all the hard fought 3 setters and her history of injuries.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lovely words from James Blake,Tournament Director,

" For those who don't know Ash,she's one of the most humble,gracious,down to earth No 1 in the worlds that's ever been around,so thank you for being our champion Ash".

"Sorry Bianca Andreescu for the way the event ended,but you fought so hard all tournament and we wish you a speedy recovery and continued good health this year:.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sunday 4th April,
Ladies Doubles Final,
Not before 3.30pm.

(5) Shuko Aoyama (JPN) Ena Shibahara (JPN) versus (8) Haley Carter (USA) Luisa Stefan (BRA).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca Andreescu said in her match presser "it was her right foot that it was twisted" when she fell' not her right ankle.Her whole foot was taped by the physio when she took her MTO.....she also said she had watched Ash on TV but playing her is something different, not a lot of players on tour plays like she does,mixing things up,like me...I got a taste of my own medicine:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good win for Barty.

Granted it's not her fault, but more than Djokovic , the COVID situation has allowed her to maintain her #1 ranking despite frankly not winning much or even playing (she opted not to play both the 2020 French Open and the USO) in the last 16 months. I mean Naomi Osaka has won the last 2 Majors in comparison.

Barty's "court smarts" was in full flight.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good win for Barty.

Granted it's not her fault, but more than Djokovic , the COVID situation has allowed her to maintain her #1 ranking despite frankly not winning much or even playing (she opted not to play both the 2020 French Open and the USO) in the last 16 months. I mean Naomi Osaka has won the last 2 Majors in comparison.

Barty's "court smarts" was in full flight.
In regards to the WTA rankings it was Barty's decision not to travel in the pandemic.Barty had no control of the revised rankings?
Halep did not play USO/Cinncy and had a chance to overtake at RG.Osaka did not play or post-clay or 2021 Middle East tournaments.Points were there to be had.If Osaka won Miami she could overtake Ash,though she was defeated in straight sets and put in a shocker of a match 60 64 against Maria Sakkari.
BTW it looks like Osaka just turns up for Grand Slams I posed that question yesterday.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In regards to the WTA rankings it was Barty's decision not to travel in the pandemic.Barty had no control of the revised rankings?
Halep did not play USO/Cinncy and had a chance to overtake at RG.Osaka did not play or post-clay or 2021 Middle East tournaments.Points were there to be had.If Osaka won Miami she could overtake Ash,though she was defeated in straight sets and put in a shocker of a match 60 64 against Maria Sakkari.
BTW it looks like Osaka just turns up for Grand Slams I posed that question yesterday.
I never said she had control of the revised rankings. Thought I made it clear when I previously said it isn't Barty's fault. Of course it's an aberration that the players can't dictate; Just like Federer staying in the top 10 in the mens ranking despite not playing for 14 months, Barty was 5-1 in all of 2020 and then made a QF at this year's AO. Thus this unusual situation that a WTA player can stay #1 without virtually doing anything for over a year...

Now for Osaka to show up only for Majors and winning, ok, but that's more than Barty did all of last year. So again, a weird situation.

If Barty isn't to be criticized for opting out of playing last year, then let's then not criticize both Osaka and Halep for opting out of tournaments too, as if only Barty has genuine reasons, as it seems you've implied.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I never said she had control of the revised rankings. Thought I made it clear when I previously said it isn't Barty's fault. Of course it's an aberration that the players can't dictate; Just like Federer staying in the top 10 in the mens ranking despite not playing for 14 months, Barty was 5-1 in all of 2020 and then made a QF at this year's AO. Thus this unusual situation that a WTA player can stay #1 without virtually doing anything for over a year...

Now for Osaka to show up only for Majors and winning, ok, but that's more than Barty did all of last year. So again, a weird situation.

If Barty isn't to be criticized for opting out of playing last year, then let's then not criticize both Osaka and Halep for opting out of tournaments too, as if only Barty has genuine reasons, as it seems you've implied.
I am Not Criticizing Osaka or Halep just pointing out the Facts they both had a chance to over take Barty for the No 1 ranking last year and Osaka again this year....again it was up to them not to play.Though you keep stating "it was unusual for a player to keep her No 1 ranking? it was Because of the Revised WTA rankings and also as I pointed out there were points for her to be overtaken for Halep and Osaka but they did not gain those Points full stop.Stop taking my post out of context.
I am not implying but this is Fact....................COVID was bad in the USA and Europe she did not want to travel all the way from Australia with her team and get COVID which is Understandable in 2020.Of course that is a Genuine reason??? I was in front line in ICU in Sydney with COVID patients I know first hand what is is like BTW.Leave Federer out of this conversation.It is a WTA site thanks.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am Not Criticizing Osaka or Halep just pointing out the Facts they both had a chance to over take Barty for the No 1 ranking last year and Osaka again this year....again it was up to them not to play.Though you keep stating "it was unusual for a player to keep her No 1 ranking? it was Because of the Revised WTA rankings and also as I pointed out there were points for her to be overtaken for Halep and Osaka but they did not gain those Points full stop.
I am not implying but this is Fact....................COVID was bad in the USA and Europe she did not want to travel all the way from Australia with her team and get COVID which is Understandable in 2020.Of course that is a Genuine reason??? I was in front line in ICU in Sydney with COVID patients I know first hand what is is like BTW.
Please don't conflate this that somehow I'm not understanding the severity of the COVID situation. As an Aussie, I see you've taken my comments as a slight on Barty. That was not my intent. As I mentioned her "court smarts"which I admire , were in full flight in her win .

However, I stand that it's an unusual (dare I say unprecedented situation) that a player can virtually NOT play for 12 months , NOT lose any points, and those with better results cannot overtake her in the ranking because her ranking points are "frozen". IOW, they would have to compensate by adding more points beyond cumulative tournament results. We all know the "reasons" why this occurred.

Again, It's nobody's fault, but if you can't see how that is an UNUSUAL situation, then let's simply agree to disagree and end this discussion, fair enough ?

Last edited:
Reactions: GameSetAndMath

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Please don't conflate this that somehow I'm not understanding the severity of the COVID situation. As an Aussie, I see you've taken my comments as a slight on Barty. That was not my intent.

I stand that it's an unusual (dare I say unprecedented situation) that a player can virtually NOT play for 12 months , NOT lose any points, and those with better results cannot overtake her in the ranking because her ranking points are "frozen". IOW, they would have to compensate by adding more points beyond cumulative tournament results. We all knew the "reasons" why this occurred.

Again, It's nobody's fault, but if you can't see how that is an UNUSUAL situation then let's just end this discussion, fair enough ?
I am not an Aussie to begin with okay. I would state the facts with any other No 1 player in this situation.....I am stating Facts regarding the rankings and point system full stop and how 2 players could have overtaken Barty for the No 1 ranking.I am not 'blind sided' and have always tried to have a netural opinion,but facts are facts full stop.Of course this unusual circumstances the world is in,still today France is in lock down,England is in lock down,this virus is not going away,we will have to learn how to live with it,regardless if we get a vaccine or not.