Miami Open, FL, US, Premier WTA

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serena and Aga out! I can't say I'm not happy for Kuznetzova, as I like her, and by all accounts she played very well. Williams is obviously looking to find her mojo. She put out a tremendous effort last year, and she seems to be having a hard time with motivation. I'm hoping to see the replay of Vika v. Garbiñe. That sounded like a good one.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Congratulations to Svetlana. And looks like Serena left the presser after only 3 minutes and was not in most of gracious moods. :scratch:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to Svetlana. And looks like Serena left the presser after only 3 minutes and was not in most of gracious moods. :scratch:
Apparently not her most generous moment. I still think she deserves a bit of empathy, carrying, as she basically did last year, women's tennis, and also for the disappointment at the USO.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Apparently not her most generous moment. I still think she deserves a bit of empathy, carrying, as she basically did last year, women's tennis, and also for the disappointment at the USO.

She is definitely not a gracious loser. I think she puts too much pressure on herself. She needs to remember this is only sport, a game, and relax a little.

Reactions: isabelle

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She is definitely not a gracious loser. I think she puts too much pressure on herself. She needs to remember this is only sport, a game, and relax a little.
She has not always been ungracious in defeat. That's not fair. And if you don't think she carries a lot on her shoulders besides playing a sport, you haven't been paying attention. Sometimes it's hard to mask disappointment. She's a great champion. They have egos. They're not always at their best in those enforced pressers when they lose. Or even sometimes when they win. B-)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched the match between Serena and Sveta,let us not forget Sveta,who is in the twilight of her career is one of the best athletes on tour.Serena to me did not move well at all? I do not know what the problem was,also her serve was off at critical times in the match,all credit to Sveta,that 2nd set was Vintage Sveta!

Serena will go to the clay season without a title?

The match of the tournament for me so far was between Vika and Garbine,the 1st set was one of the best sets of tennis I have watched so far this year,incredible rallies,it was a intense t/breaker which Vika snatched

In the 2nd set,the level dropped a bit,still I was impressed how Garbine turned things around when Vika was serving for the match and forced another t/breaker.Really enjoyable match! Vika continues to impress me,after her win at IW.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results Wire

[19] Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) d [3] Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) | 2 - 6 | 6 - 4 | 6 - 2 | MATCH STATS
[5] Simona Halep (ROU) d [WC] Heather Watson (GBR) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 4 | MATCH STATS
[24] Johanna Konta (GBR) d [32] Monica Niculescu (ROU) | 6 - 2 | 6 - 2 | MATCH STATS
[13] Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d [4] Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) | 7 - 6 (6) | 7 - 6 (4) | MATCH STATS
[22] Madison Keys (USA) d Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 1 | MATCH STATS
[2] Angelique Kerber (GER) d Timea Babos (HUN) | 6 - 2 | 3 - 6 | 6 - 4 | MATCH STATS
[30] Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d [12] Elina Svitolina (UKR) | 6 - 1 | 6 - 4 | MATCH STATS
[15] Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d [1] Serena Williams (USA) | 6 - 7 (3) | 6 - 1 | 6 - 2 | MATCH STATS

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched the match between Serena and Sveta,let us not forget Sveta,who is in the twilight of her career is one of the best athletes on tour.Serena to me did not move well at all? I do not know what the problem was,also her serve was off at critical times in the match,all credit to Sveta,that 2nd set was Vintage Sveta!

Serena will go to the clay season without a title?

The match of the tournament for me so far was between Vika and Garbine,the 1st set was one of the best sets of tennis I have watched so far this year,incredible rallies,it was a intense t/breaker which Vika snatched

In the 2nd set,the level dropped a bit,still I was impressed how Garbine turned things around when Vika was serving for the match and forced another t/breaker.Really enjoyable match! Vika continues to impress me,after her win at IW.

I didn't watch the match unfortunately, but surprised at Serena's capitulation. 3 games in the last 2 sets? Is the dark shadow of attempting to beat Steffi Graf's 22 majors hanging over Serena? She hasn't looked right since that AO Final.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't watch the match unfortunately, but surprised at Serena's capitulation. 3 games in the last 2 sets? Is the dark shadow of attempting to beat Steffi Graf's 22 majors hanging over Serena? She hasn't looked right since that AO Final.

Serena has always been a perfectionist,I do not know if she is carrying a niggling injury,maybe her knee,because Serena moves so well,has always had time on the ball for her shots.Her serve so far this year has been up and down.Maybe the expectation of trying to repeat last year's great results she had is playing on her mind,Anyway the clay season will be interesting.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results Wire:

[19] Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) d [5] Simona Halep (ROU) | 4 - 6 | 6 - 3 | 6 - 2 | MATCH STATS
[15] Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d [30] Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) | 6 - 7 (3) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 3 | MATCH STATS

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So, the top of the draw has it's semi-final line up set:

Kunznetsova v Bacszinsky

and the remaining quarters in the bottom of of the draw see:

Konta v Azarenka

Keys v Kerber

vieing for semi-final berths.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She should take some lessons from Nole who's always gracious in defeat...Williams is a sore loser for sure

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[13] Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d [24] Johanna Konta (GBR) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 2

Vika takes out Johanna Konta to book her semi-final slot... can she double up on her Indian Wells title?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
[13] Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d [24] Johanna Konta (GBR) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 2

Vika takes out Johanna Konta to book her semi-final slot... can she double up on her Indian Wells title?

Azarenka will play Kerber in the s/final from memory she has a commanding H2H 7-1 I think:),what I am admiring about Vika's play is her belief,her confidence is back,I feel she can win the title in Miami.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She should take some lessons from Nole who's always gracious in defeat...Williams is a sore loser for sure
Djokovic has not been without his sour pressers after losses, or excuses...darkness, his contacts, the wind, his legs, his asthma. It's easy for him to be gracious now, as he leads the field by a wide margin. #shorttermmemory If you think Serena is a sore loser, I suggest you go back to the speeches after the IW final, which are provided on the thread. Both she and Vika were elegant and eloquent. http://discuss.tennis/index.php?threads/indian-wells-bnp-paribas-open-ca-usa-wta-premier.508/page-3

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer