Maradona v Pele...

Who was the better player: Maradona or Pele?

• Pele

• Maradona

• Ali Dia

• Somebody else...

Results are only viewable after voting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just been reading Graeme Souness autobiography... one of the best and most underrated players I ever had the pleasure watching. He puts Messi at the top of the tree, above Maradona.... but alludes to frequent arguments with Hugh McIlvaney (legendary British sports writer) who has Diego at the top. Of the players he played against himself... he said there were two players he couldn't get near or read... Alan Ball and Zico.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Zidane is the GOAT. Watch the game against Brazil in the WC 06 SF.

Zizou singlehandedly ruined Brazil. Maradona did that to England LOL. Do I really need to tell you the difference between Brazil and England?

Zizou again almost won it against Italy against one of the best defensive units of all time. Shame he couldn't finish but still he took France singlehandedly to the WC final.

Zidane is the greatest and the most beautiful footballer ever.

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
The only reason some are reluctant to call Messi what he is (the greatest player of all time) is because in Football, we tend to romanticize the past and inflate the legend of some players we grew up watching/hearing about.

And I really hope someone brings up the "never won a World Cup" argument so I can go on a rant...

Cmon not winning a WC is a valid argument. You can slice it anyway you want but the WC is the biggest prize so the greatest player has to win it. The standards for GOAT doesn't just change for one player just because his tards like you are upset.

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
The problem I have with Messi is that he isn't a great leader and he doesn't always deliver when the country needs him badly. Take the WC final for example. What did he do? Nothing. He had a golden chance which he missed in a one on one situation with goalkeeper.

People act like Messi plays for Saudi Arabia. Argentina had a good enough side for WC 2014 and Messi had the perfect stage to prove himself beyond doubt that he's the greatest but he blew it. Infact in WC 2014, both Di Maria and Mascherano had a bigger influence than him. That's just not good enough for a GOAT. A GOAT delivers when the country needs him most and Messi has too often gone missing for Argentina.

Now contrast that with Zizou. Scored two goals in WC 98 and so many goals in Euro. Took France to WC 06 final singlehandedly and destroyed Brazil singlehandedly in the WC SF. Zizou scored the most audacious penalty against the greatest goalkeeper of all time. Yes he got sent off but France didn't lose that game because of him, that would be too unfair on him.

Zidane is the most complete player ever and the most beautiful player ever too and has won everything that football offers. He's the Federer of football imo.

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Who the hell has the balls to scoop Gigi freaking Buffon in a freaking WC final? Yup THAT is the audacity and talent of Zinedine Zidane.

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Cmon not winning a WC is a valid argument. You can slice it anyway you want but the WC is the biggest prize so the greatest player has to win it. The standards for GOAT doesn't just change for one player just because his tards like you are upset.

Wait for it...

It's fine I don't mind. I'm from India. I want to see the GOAT become the GOAT officially and leave no doubt that he's greater than Pele and Maradona. It will be a huge loss and shame for football if that didn't happen like if Fed hadn't won RG to complete his set of slams and officially become the GOAT.

and...

Yes I mean Messi. I'm fed up of hearing arguments for Pele and Maradona only because they won the WC and Messi hasn't specially Pele cause both Maradona and Messi are better footballers than him.

and...

Couldn't Argentina do the bare minimum of finding a decent coach? Sheesh such a massive shame it will be if Messi doesn't win the WC because of the coach. :cry:

All this is because of that jerk Mario Gotze. God I hate the German football team so much I can't even tell you. Nobody remembers him.

If Messi had won it he would've gone down as the undisputed greatest and we would've all witnessed it. It's a crying shame and the greatest tragedy in football.

and...

Messi had almost singlehandedly taken Argentina to the WC final and he deservedly should've won it.

(wait, but I thought "both Di Maria and Mascherano had a bigger influence than him" as you laughably claimed in your post above)...

Anyway, now I'll go back to ignoring you for being a troll and/or, more likely, an idiot.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wait for it...

and...

and...

and...

(wait, but I thought "both Di Maria and Mascherano had a bigger influence than him" as you laughably claimed in your post above)...

Anyway, now I'll go back to ignoring you for being a troll and/or, more likely, an idiot.
I'm assuming as this just came out of no where, there must be blocked poster you're responding to? ;)

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Wait for it...

and...

and...

and...

Yes my conflicting posts is because I was trying to convince myself that Leo doesn't need a WC to be the GOAT.

But then again the WC is the biggest prize in football and other GOAT contenders Maradona and Zizou have won it. So how do we put Messi over them?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
no I meant you must be responding to a poster I had blocked :D The last thing before your post that I can see was the Alex Ferguson vid I posted

And that's why you're a better man than me. You've blocked that clown (I think you figured out who by now). I haven't. I really should though.

Reactions: Federberg

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
And that's why you're a better man than me. You've blocked that clown (I think you figured out who by now). I haven't. I really should though.

You can't block me because I drop truth bombs and make compelling arguments. Fredberg hasn't completely blocked me either, that mug takes little peeks at my posts and keeps complaining about "you talking to that clown?". LOL what a child fredberg is. :lulz1:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I am currently in Vietnan. Talking to locals, they asked me where I was from. I said "Brazil". Then the guy responded, "oh, football!", and I said, "yes". Then, for my eternal shame, believing in the giant bunch of crap I get from folks here, I mentioned: "Yes, football, Ronaldinho..."

And then the guy corrected me: "Pelé, the legend."

"He is the god of football", I replied. And then I made a genuflection, which the guy soon followed. It was a deep, profound moment of mystic connections to the gods of sports.

Forgot to ask about Maradona.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I am currently in Vietnan. Talking to locals, they asked me where I was from. I said "Brazil". Then the guy responded, "oh, football!", and I said, "yes". Then, for my eternal shame, believing in the giant bunch of crap I get from folks here, I mentioned: "Yes, football, Ronaldinho..."

And then the guy corrected me: "Pelé, the legend."

"He is the god of football", I replied. And then I made a genuflection, which the guy soon followed. It was a deep, profound moment of mystic connections to the gods of sports.

Forgot to ask about Maradona.
relentless! :clap:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ali dia lol. most goals in international football ,109..but mostly against sri lanka, hawaii or other such football giants

wikipedia has a list of his 109 goals and the opponents..there are only a few that you could claim to be against semi decent opponents.

clearly this man is the greatest.