Maradona v Pele...

Who was the better player: Maradona or Pele?

• Pele

• Maradona

• Ali Dia

• Somebody else...

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I always thought that only a few crazy Argentinians would actually even dream about this, but, WTF....

And, don´t get me wrong, Maradona is a genius.

But, apart from more World Cups, more club titles, much more goals, much more absurd goals, much more every possible important stat you can think off, I cannot think of anything else.

Do you know what the problem film makers have when they make documentaries about Pelé? They do not know what footage to put on it. They make documentaries out of footage which was not included in previous ones and it is still absurdly amazing.

I give you the "Mano de Dios" excuse, but remember this (note the pass to Jairzinho):

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't get me wrong. Pele was a great player. Definitely Top 50.

Here's the thing. Maradona made average teams GREAT. Pele was in a GREAT team.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Dear Comrade Vladimir

I have news that the situation in Europe has reached an unacceptable level. They lost completely their senses. There is no other choice than to wipe it out of the face of the earth.

Reactions: britbox

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I've always felt that I'm not fully qualified to answer this question. My answer would be that Maradona is the best player I've ever seen. Sorry Messi! But since I never watched Pele live how could I really judge it?

Watching the old clips Pele looks outstanding, but to be honest I find the videos of Garincha to be even better. My dad says that Pele is better, but there's a bit of bias there as he's actually met Pele IRL. He says that the tackling back in those days was on another level, some of them would be criminal actions now. For him, Pele and George Best are the two best players he's ever seen until Messi. That's where I tell him he lost me. Messi is a great great player, but I'm sorry I've never felt the butterflies watching Messi as I did when I watched Maradona. Not even felt the same thrill when I watched Brazilian Ronaldo play.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've always felt that I'm not fully qualified to answer this question. My answer would be that Maradona is the best player I've ever seen. Sorry Messi! But since I never watched Pele live how could I really judge it?

Watching the old clips Pele looks outstanding, but to be honest I find the videos of Garincha to be even better. My dad says that Pele is better, but there's a bit of bias there as he's actually met Pele IRL. He says that the tackling back in those days was on another level, some of them would be criminal actions now. For him, Pele and George Best are the two best players he's ever seen until Messi. That's where I tell him he lost me. Messi is a great great player, but I'm sorry I've never felt the butterflies watching Messi as I did when I watched Maradona. Not even felt the same thrill when I watched Brazilian Ronaldo play.

The knock against Messi is always the international achievements. Maradona did it it all and carried pretty average Argentinian teams to world cup success and pretty average club sides to domestic success (Napoli). Purely from a club level, Messi is awesome and one of the best players I've ever seen, but even at club level, he's got truly great players around him. My old man was a big fan of DeStefano and Puskas.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I´ll start a thread about some guy who won two majors being better than Federer.

Maradona won one world cup, and I wouldn´t call that team average. In 1986 River Plate (Boca´s great rival) was intercontinental champion... in 1984 it was Independiente. Obviously no Maradona there either.

Why the hell I am even talking about this...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I´ll start a thread about some guy who won two majors being better than Federer.

Maradona won one world cup, and I wouldn´t call that team average. In 1986 River Plate (Boca´s great rival) was intercontinental champion... in 1984 it was Independiente. Obviously no Maradona there either.

That team was average in relation to the Brazilian teams Pele enjoyed being a part of. Maradona was in Europe winning Serie A titles with Napoli.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

I'm sure there's no Brazilian bias there! :lol6:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I refuse to participate in a poll like that, please do close it. I cannot even read the question from start to finish.

Napoli won serie A twice. Brazilian "Careca" was the striker. He scored loads of goals and was the best Brazilian striker for years. Put "careca gols" (not goals, "gols" in portuguese) on youtube and you see. Midfielder Alemão was there. Both from our National team. Carnevale, from Italian National team, was there too.

@britbox, you now have an enemy for life. @Federberg, I´ll write three other posters inviting them to make a thread only to rip at you. It will be the anti-Federberg club.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That team was average in relation to the Brazilian teams Pele enjoyed being a part of. Maradona was in Europe winning Serie A titles with Napoli.

Pele played for Santos I think. I don't recall hearing things about really amazing players he played with. @mrzz perhaps you can enlighten us?

In Pele's favour in 1958 he was what... 16? And he made an impact. Maradona played in that great great match in 1982 against Brazil but got sent off (correct me if I'm wrong). But then it could be argued that that Argentinian team wasn't that great (even though they were defending champions), and that was against one of the greatest ever teams never to win a world cup (Brazil '82). It could also be argued that Maradona was so good that the Brazilian team decided to set aside beautiful football and do everything they could to get the guy off the pitch

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I refuse to participate in a poll like that, please do close it. I cannot even read the question from start to finish.

Napoli won serie A twice. Brazilian "Careca" was the striker. He scored loads of goals and was the best Brazilian striker for years. Put "careca gols" (not goals, "gols" in portuguese) on youtube and you see. Midfielder Alemão was there. Both from our National team. Carnevale, from Italian National team, was there too.

@britbox, you now have an enemy for life. @Federberg, I´ll write three other posters inviting them to make a thread only to rip at you. It will be the anti-Federberg club.
hahahaha! I'm loving this.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Pele played for Santos I think. I don't recall hearing things about really amazing players he played with. @mrzz perhaps you can enlighten us?

In Pele's favour in 1958 he was what... 16? And he made an impact. Maradona played in that great great match in 1982 against Brazil but got sent off (correct me if I'm wrong). But then it could be argued that that Argentinian team wasn't that great (even though they were defending champions), and that was against one of the greatest ever teams never to win a world cup (Brazil '82). It could also be argued that Maradona was so good that the Brazilian team decided to set aside beautiful football and do everything they could to get the guy off the pitch

Of course Pelé played for Santos! Aaaarrgghhhh! They destroyed everything was put in front of them. It was a very good team, built around Pelé. Clodoaldo and Pepe other two notables there.

In 1958 Pelé was 17. He scores some of the most beautiful goals ever being freaking 17!

Maradona got sent off in 82, but in that match, as we say in Brazil, Argentina could not even see the color of the ball. Maradona got mad to see the ball dancing around him and lost his head. The 82 team was maybe the best them ever, period. They had a freaking brain stop and lost to Italy, which was a fine squad, but not even in the same league. Brazilian midfield was Cerezo, Falcão, Sócrates and Zico. Fuck! This would be even better than Rivelino, Gerson, Clodoaldo and Pelé (1970) if Pelé wasn´t so freaking absurd. Those names should not even be written or read without a genuflection.

Why the hell I am talking about football with British people? Don´t you have some Malvinas Islands to conquer back?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course Pelé played for Santos! Aaaarrgghhhh! They destroyed everything was put in front of them. It was a very good team, built around Pelé. Clodoaldo and Pepe other two notables there.

In 1958 Pelé was 17. He scores some of the most beautiful goals ever being freaking 17!

Maradona got sent off in 82, but in that match, as we say in Brazil, Argentina could not even see the color of the ball. Maradona got mad to see the ball dancing around him and lost his head. The 82 team was maybe the best them ever, period. They had a freaking brain stop and lost to Italy, which was a fine squad, but not even in the same league. Brazilian midfield was Cerezo, Falcão, Sócrates and Zico. Fuck! This would be even better than Rivelino, Gerson, Clodoaldo and Pelé (1970) if Pelé wasn´t so freaking absurd. Those names should not even be written or read without a genuflection.

Why the hell I am talking about football with British people? Don´t you have some Malvinas Islands to conquer back?

bwahahaha! I can feel the pain coming through! I have to tell you, I was a young kid watching that World Cup. It's the first one I really remember intensely. I cried when Italy beat Brazil, and until this day I have difficulty liking Germany given what West Germany and Austria did to make sure they both qualified

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I cried when Italy beat Brazil

Ok, if you have material evidence of this, or at least two witnesses willing to testify, then I´ll consider not creating the anti-Federberg club.

Hell it took a dozen post to read something worth of reading in this thread.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok, if you have material evidence of this, or at least two witnesses willing to testify, then I´ll consider not creating the anti-Federberg club.

Hell it took a dozen post to read something worth of reading in this thread.

hahaha! I wish I could. But I was devastated. A team with Zico, Junior, Socrates, Falcao and Eder should have won!!

And then in the final I was forced to support Italy because I couldn't abide West Germany.