Madrid 2013 03-12May

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding Ding! We have a winner! I always thought she should do that more and mix up her pacing on her serve better. I hope she incorporates more of this to throw off say a Maria or Vika on their return game. An excerpt from what Serena said:

"I just felt really relaxed, like I was taking my time," Williams said. "I had been missing my serve when I was hitting it harder, so I took some pace off and didn't hit as hard as I usually do.

"It was easy because when you take off pace you don't hit as hard and don't exhaust as much energy. And hitting a serve or a winner are both fun."
Serena is very tennis smart and this event is hers to lose,she seems relaxed and happy...if she is a bad person as Sloane says she will not have kept her team together for all this time.Esther,Val and Sacha have been with her like forever and seem to love her.I remember Common being asked about Serena and he said that Serena is a lot of fun to hang out with...even Medusa used to say that Serena is a lot of fun in the locker room.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Madrid 2013: May 9th

3rd round is completed.
201305090749281649836-p2@stats.com.jpg

Scores:

THURSDAY, MAY 09, 2013

SINGLES - THIRD ROUND
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d [14] Marion Bartoli (FRA) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 2 |
[7] Sara Errani (ITA) d Varvara Lepchenko (USA) | 7 - 5 | 6 - 3 |
Kaia Kanepi (EST) d Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 4 |
[2] Maria Sharapova (RUS) d Sabine Lisicki (GER) | 6 - 2 | 7 - 5 |
[1] Serena Williams (USA) d [13] Maria Kirilenko (RUS) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 1 |

DOUBLES - QUARTERFINALS
K Mladenovic / G Voskoboeva (FRA/KAZ) d [3] E Makarova / E Vesnina (RUS/RUS) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 2 |
A Pavlyuchenkova / L Safarova (RUS/CZE) d J Husarova / S Lisicki (SVK/GER) | 6 - 2 | 3 - 6 | 10 - 7 |
C Black / M Erakovic (ZIM/NZL) d S Kuznetsova / F Pennetta (RUS/ITA) | 4 - 6 | 6 - 1 | 10 - 5 |
S Soler-Espinosa / C Suarez Navarro (ESP/ESP) d [4] R Kops-Jones / A Spears (USA/USA) | 4 - 6 | 6 - 2 | 10 - 4 |

Since yesterday, there has been 2 walk-overs. Varvara walked past Goerges and Shvedova let Medina Garrigues walk-over.

here is what the quarters look like:

Serena vs. Medina-Garrigues
Makarova vs. Errani
Angie vs. Ana
Masha vs. Kaia

Masha has had a much more difficult path than Serena.
Lets see who gets into the semis.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well Serena is through in rather ugly fashion. She got bageled in the second set. Tight 3rd set but she pulled it out. This match is very reminiscent of what usually happens to her at the French where she usually gets tight. Glad she got over it and gutted out a win. This is why I said Serena only losing 2 points on her serve yesterday meant nothing for today. Hot and cold!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well Serena is through in rather ugly fashion. She got bageled in the second set. Tight 3rd set but she pulled it out. This match is very reminiscent of what usually happens to her at the French where she usually gets tight. Glad she got over it and gutted out a win. This is why I said Serena only losing 2 points on her serve yesterday meant nothing for today. Hot and cold!
this match was a good test for her playing infront of a partisan spanish crowd.I think she passed the Razzano test and will play better in the semis..

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
cheerleaders11.gif

Woooohoooo!!! - Masha is in the semis of Madrid - Not a great match against Kaia Kanepi but good enough 62, 64 - Way to go Masha !!
Who's next? - Kerber or Ivanovic? - It doesn't really matter - Masha should be able to reach the final for the first time in Madrid unless she has a total blackout - God forbid
cheerleaders11.gif

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Maybe we'll finally get that match on red clay between Maria and Serena that everyone wants to see. :)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Maybe we'll finally get that match on red clay between Maria and Serena that everyone wants to see. :)

Maybe if Serena doesn't seem intent on trying to give it all away before hand ;)!

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
jhar26 said:

Maybe if Serena doesn't seem intent on trying to give it all away before hand ;)!

:) On this surface it's an eagerly awaited match-up though. Serena has had Maria's number for almost a decade now. But Maria has been the most successful red clay player of recent times. So if she ever is going to beat Serena again her best shot is on a red claycourt. Can she do it? I don't know (honestly, I don't), but there's only one way to find out. ;)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well it looks like at the moment Serena will play another clay courter in Errani. That should be interesting! Hopefully Ivanovic can win her quarter. However, either way it will be a rematch of Stuttgart for either lady against Sharapova. Given form at the moment, I would say Kerber would pose the better challenge.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Let's be honest, Serena has had her share of these types of matches throughout her career. Her running through a tournament with total domination is less the norm than her having that one or two "bad" matches. I'd worry more if she didn't have this type of match prior to a final.

Someone please explain to me, when did a slower surface (clay) become the surface at which Sharapova has a better chance at beating Serena? Correct me if I'm wrong, but, Maria's two HUGE wins over Serena were on faster surfaces, Wimby 04 and YEC 04, as well their closest contests since have been on faster courts, Wimby 10, AO 05 and Miami 13.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena was just slow and not moving her feet in the 2nd set,Medina was on fire as all Serena s opponents do.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Ana for an impressive win over a desillusioned Kerber - SHE didn't like tennis today. Ana is on her way back to top 10 and in impressive form. I'm looking forward to her win over Maria tomorrow - sorry Mashafan:) - nice gifs by the way - make them yourself?

SingleBackhand

Club Member
Reactions
Yep the semifinalists have been decided
Serena Williams vs Sara Errani
Maria Sharapova vs Ana Ivanovic

I foresee 2 great matches and may the best women win!

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
SingleBackhand said:
Yep the semifinalists have been decided
Serena Williams vs Sara Errani
Maria Sharapova vs Ana Ivanovic

I foresee 2 great matches and may the best women win!

Interesting all three have been to the French Open final previously. If Kuzzy had kept up her bargain of the deal, we could've had four previous FO champs.

SUNDAY, didn't see you had already written what I wrote....my bad.

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
hoergren said:
I'm looking forward to her win over Maria tomorrow - sorry Mashafan:) - nice gifs by the way - make them yourself?
Hey - that's OK by me - no need to apologize for who you cheer for
smiley-angry019.gif

No - re the gif - You can find all sorta animated gifs for free use on the Internet - The one above I've found by Googling: cheerleader animated gif

I'm kind of disappointed that so few lighten up their comments with photos or gifs - It would make all the comments so much more enjoyable and fun in my humble opinion - I'm also a bit disappointed that so few make the effort to comment the photos which for example Kiu and you have posted - I think is nice that at least some are trying to make it more fun and friendlier around here
There are also loads of free emoticons (or smileys) out there and you don't need to stick to the ones provided by this site
sad.gif

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Madrid 2013: May 10th

Here is a picture you will like!
201305100917334421532-p2@stats.com.jpg

:heart:
:D
:heart:

Complete scores:

FRIDAY, MAY 10, 2013

SINGLES - QUARTERFINALS
[7] Sara Errani (ITA) d Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 3 |
[16] Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d [6] Angelique Kerber (GER) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 1 |
[1] Serena Williams (USA) d Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) | 6 - 3 | 0 - 6 | 7 - 5 |
[2] Maria Sharapova (RUS) d Kaia Kanepi (EST) | 6 - 2 | 6 - 4 |

DOUBLES - SEMIFINALS
C Black / M Erakovic (ZIM/NZL) d S Soler-Espinosa / C Suarez Navarro (ESP/ESP) | 6 - 1 | 6 - 3 |
A Pavlyuchenkova / L Safarova (RUS/CZE) d K Mladenovic / G Voskoboeva (FRA/KAZ) | 6 (5) - 7 | 6 - 0 | 10 - 7 |

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
She's very much like another Czech, Hana Mandlikova. She could play the most beautiful mind blowing tennis, and then go on "walkabouts."

But at least Hana was in decent physical shape. The physical shape that Kvitova is in on the other hand.....it's unacceptable for a professional athlete really.
[/quote]

Yea, but, Serena beat down some of the best players of her generation and won slams and I'd argue she was probably in worst shape comparably as bad of shape as Kvitova.

Petra, unfortunately isn't as athletically gifted, say as a Hana, so, fitness is more important for her
[/quote]

True. I often feel that she goes for winners on low percentage shots because she knows she can't afford to get involved in too many extended rallys. If she would she'd be huffin' and puffin' after one hour of play. So she tries to bully herself past opponents. That's great when she is in the zone, but when she's not the UE count can get pretty embarrassing. A pity really because if she would get in shape we would now be talking about the big four instead of the big three of womens tennis.

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
221792fjdradop7s.gif

Wooohooo!! - Masha is in the finals for the first time in Madrid by defeating Ana 64, 63 - She not only won but this was also her 500 career win and what? - her 20 winning streak on clay? - I'm such a happy camper today and I won't worry about tomorrow until tomorrow - well done gurl!!! - Thanks for all the great moments!!

I'm sorry hoergren - you should've known better
c05117.gif