Is Dan About To Stick A Fork in Tommy Paul?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
The Dan Markowitz fork is not bashful. When a young American player struggles, that fork has an eagerness to stick the player. Ask Ryan Harrison who was forked at least a half dozen times.

The latest casualty of the infamous Dan Fork could be Tommy Paul who posted another abysmal result in the Winston Salem Futures this week. In his home state Paul was bounced in the first round 64 64 by the world no. 1947 Felix Corwin, a qualifier.

Paul is now ranked an unimpressive 360 and way behind his peers Opelka, Tiafoe, Kozlov, Fritz and Donaldson.

Just a couple of years ago Paul was winning junior grand slams and US Open qualifying matches, even reaching the US Open main draw where he held his own with Andreas Seppi in the first round. But today Paul appears to be regressing.

Incidentally, in the same Winston Salem draw the ageless wonder Jesse Witten knocked off the no. 2 seed Dominik Koepfer and then won another round before falling to Wil Spencer.

Also of note, Patrick Hannity, the son of Fox News’ Sean Hannity played the qualies and lost first round.

Christopher Eubanks of Georgia Tech has reached the final. Eubanks is ranked 630.

So what do you think, is Tommy Paul the next Tommy Ho, Tommy Berdych, Tommy Robredo or is he about to get stuck by Dan’s fearless fork?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Get Cal a Superboy t shirt or legally change his name to Super Boy. Heckuva day at the office for Cal. Kid has a natural talent for winning even when he's not at his best.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
The players you mentioned Andrew probably ran out of $ while Paul is still under 20 I believe and he has the USTA backing. It's weird how careers go. Just a couple of years ago Paul looked like the top prospect and then Fritz was the IT kid last year. Now both have fallen behind the pack considerably. Tiafoe and Donaldson are in front right now and Kozlov Opelka close behind. Kozlov just beat DeSchepper in Queens qualies which is a big win because the big lefty French guy is a tough out on grass.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Kozlov qualified for Queens draw with SS win today vs Hugues Herbert. Could play Johnson Ward or a qualifier in first round of draw.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Andrew; When Paul was at his high point I asked an insider Florida coach who was quite familiar with Paul's practice habits and intensity and he saw it as an issue and he was not nearly as high on Paul as I expected. This coach sure did turn out to be exactly right to be skeptical about Paul's short term potential. Hopefully Paul wakes up and works out his practice intensity seriousness issues.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe it's good that Cal is being left out of the academies/scholarships and it gives him that chip on his shoulder to have to and want to prove himself. Sounds like he has that extra gear to dominate top players in his age group.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
I played next to Vekic on the public courts in Key Biscayne this year and she was having go through the motion practice. She had that princess demeanor. Could tell her coach was not thrilled with her attitude and work ethic. After we both were done my friend asked for a photo and then I decided to too and asked the coach at the car if the famous player would take one more photo and he said kind of sarcastically Who knows? But she did and was very nice and I said Keep working hard the best is yet to come. She was really nice and it's great to see her finally getting it going after all these years. The Wimbledon draw is so wide open she can do serious damage.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Konta has dropped off since winning miami. Having that big ol' X on her back syndrome? Ah the pressure of expectations...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Don't forget Escobedo in your list of young Americans.

Americans Age 21 in live ATP Rankings (as of 6/19/17):
63. Frances Tiafoe (19.4)
65. Jared Donaldson (20.6)
71. Ernesto Escobedo (20.9)
124. Reilly Opelka (19.8)
127. Taylor Fritz (19.6)
145. Stefan Kozlov (19.3)
181. Michael Mmoh (19.4)
187. Noah Rubin (21.3)
398. Tommy Paul (20)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Ed Dude; you are right there are so many young Americans I somehow forgot about Escobedo who could be the best of all. Paul is going the wrong direction. He needs to focus and go Rambo on tennis for the next half year.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
The grass had to provoke bad memories for Harrison because the last time he played on it he got whooped in Newport by qualifier Frank Dancevic in straight sets on center court. Dancevic has since disappeared. Harrison is very confident right now but not on grass. Zero confidence on grass. Losing at Newport last year was Harrison's rock bottom.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios is suddenly turning into a circus act. It's like he only really cares about majors and Davis Cup. Kyrgios has been in a spiral downward since that loss to Federer in Key Biscayne.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
I could see Shapovalov becoming a grass nightmare with that lefty slice and one hander and whip forehand. He played top 50 tennis today. In two years I project Shapovalov will be playing top ten tennis (beating top ten players). I can see that.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
McDonald is still out there grinding hard but not getting any quality results. I saw him with coach Brad Stine at Sarasota Open working hard but the results have been difficult. The kid is talented and I think he will eventually get over the hump.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Bryan writes:

I've never been high on Tommy Paul. Did think Ryan Harrison would eventually come back because he has so many weapons. Feel the same about Opelka who will start smashing people next year if he can stay healthy.