Internazionali BNL d'Italia - ROME

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
hoergren said:
Roller coaster Kvitova loses in straight sets 63 62 to Carla Suarez Navarro - well we know Kvitova again don't we - no unusual loss me thinks.

CFDUSMYUgAEp4o4.jpg

Exactly!! Some were a little to quick with the "she not the same ole erratic Petra."

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gavrilova continues her dreamweek -62 64 over McHale - and is a player to watch - former junior US Open slamwinner and Olympic gold medal winner in junior games in 2010 - so watch this feisty player :cool:

CFDwgpKUEAAq4BJ.jpg

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorwWsNA4lw[/video]

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Daria reminds me of Cibulkova. What a tournament she is having. Not surprised she beat Mchale.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
10sfan said:
Disappointing to see Serena withdraw. Pova will step up and fight to the death for the title now that her kryptonite is no longer a factor.

Daria does it again! She is having a great 2015. Daria vs Pova next round? I hope Vika gets there instead, but I am not optimistic.

Go, Petra.

The level of competitiveness always goes down significantly with Serena out, but there are still a few potentially great battles: Sharapova/(hopefully) Azarenka, plus Kvitova/Suarez Navarro, with the winner facing (most likely) Halep.

The most anonymous #2 in years! Halep is a mere afterthought, often put on court so early I sleep right through her matches! :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
CSN is very perplexing. She can take out Petra with no problem, yet, against Serena, she barely wins 3 games in their encounters.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Calvy said:
CSN is very perplexing. She can take out Petra with no problem, yet, against Serena, she barely wins 3 games in their encounters.

It's called "match ups!" Aza is probably better than Maria Sharapova, but MS has her number; just like the Williams'! Sometimes you just own a player! :nono

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_LN64M5VE[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D14Lm-eJVs8[/video]

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
It's amazing to me that when Vika is playing aginst Serena, she goes after her like there's no tomorrow, but when she get across the net from pova she folds like a damn cheap suit. That's why I have no respect for players like Vika. The last time she played Serena, she played like her life depended on it; her serve was on point and now look at how she folded today. She's a damn punk. I guess she get more recognition from beating Serena than she would get from beating Maria.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckj29lkLVWI[/video]

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ok you guys, I wouldn't call it folding. Clay is much more suited to Maria than Azarenka at the moment. I think it is a lot closer than some of you are suggesting. Their head to head is not that lop-sided. Azarenka is rounding into form slowly, but I would never expect her to take Maria out on clay at least not at this juncture.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Disagree Sunday, did you not see how she went after Serena? Where was that fight today?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
While Azarenka usually does give Serena a lot of fight, I suspect she went for the throat even further in that match because a lot of pride was on the line for both she and Sasha in wanting to try and get the win over Serena. It was after all the first match up since Sasha joined Vika's team, so I imagine there was always going to be more of an effort there than with someone else.

Besides Azarenka/Sharapova matches happen one of two ways:

One is hot while the other is cold, so a blow out results or

It goes the distance because they are both double faulting loser queens

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
Disagree Sunday, did you not see how she went after Serena? Where was that fight today?
yes she was extra in that match against Rena..I think there is some tension between Vika and Serena because of the Genie Sumyk and Serena s agent situation.I think Sascha and Vika were gloating a lot on Serena s timeline and she unfollowed them...he had the audacity to tweet that they will finish Serena next time.He is forgetting that Serena made him....she is doing fine without him.Azarenka has a history of choking against Serena ...AO10 ..then that USA Open 2012 choke....all those 15 beatings can mentally destroy..:popcorn

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
While Azarenka usually does give Serena a lot of fight, I suspect she went for the throat even further in that match because a lot of pride was on the line for both she and Sasha in wanting to try and get the win over Serena. It was after all the first match up since Sasha joined Vika's team, so I imagine there was always going to be more of an effort there than with someone else.

Besides Azarenka/Sharapova matches happen one of two ways:

One is hot while the other is cold, so a blow out results or

It goes the distance because they are both double faulting loser queens

I agree! How does one state Azarenka only shows up for Serena, when her record against Maria is 7-8 as oppose to her record against Serena 3-15?!

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Order of play Saturday 16. May

Centrale Starting At: 12:00

Carla SUÁREZ NAVARRO (ESP) [10] vs Simona HALEP (ROU) [2] 26 63 75:clap:clap
Not Before 4:30 pm
[Q] Daria GAVRILOVA (RUS) vs Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS) [3]
57 36
Pietrangeli Starting At: 12:00

Timea BABOS (HUN)/Kristina MLADENOVIC (FRA) [3] vs Alla KUDRYAVTSEVA (RUS)/Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (RUS) [8] 62 63

Martina HINGIS (SUI)/Sania MIRZA (IND) [1] vs Caroline GARCIA (FRA)/Katarina SREBOTNIK (SLO) [4] 62 76

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sad to see Kvitova go out but she has had a good run to get ready for the FO. With both scream queens going against each other, one had to advance which is too bad. Hopefully Halep can quiet Sharapova down in the final. If they both make it that is. Go Daria!

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Ok you guys, I wouldn't call it folding. Clay is much more suited to Maria than Azarenka at the moment. I think it is a lot closer than some of you are suggesting. Their head to head is not that lop-sided. Azarenka is rounding into form slowly, but I would never expect her to take Maria out on clay at least not at this juncture.

I totally agree with you. It's silly to claim she doesn't fight Maria. The last few times Maria has beat Vika, Vika was not in form yet. Sure she's closer now to top form but she's also on her worst surface and not quite there yet. Maria is in her very best form and knows she won't face Serena which always inspires her on clay. People are forgetting the places Vika has beat Maria...slams.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm really hoping Halep makes it to the final and beats Sharapova. She absolutely MUST start beating players like Maria in finals if she wants to close out a slam sooner or later. She has to know what it feels like to win a match like that even if its just in Rome.