Internazionali BNL d'Italia - Rome Open - WTA Premiere, 2019

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
WILD day in Rome. Annoyed to see Sloane couldn't deal with Konta. But neither could Venus. So Konta through to the quarters here. Feels like her first significant quarter in a while. Possibly just taking advantage of the craziness in Rome. But also possibly rounding into form again.

Muguruza just retired against Vika. So a reverse of how it went down in Monterrey.

Mladenovic's 2 wins today is so impressive.

How about Vondrousova over Halep though! She's had a great year. But I did not see that coming. Even though, according to one of the posts above, this is her second win over Halep just this year. I guess I don't care about Halep enough to keep up with her losses.

The other Kiki, Bertens that is, with 2 set points against CSN out on court 6. Make that 1 set point. She was up 40-love. She does get the third one though. 6-4 first set for her after a battle with Anisimova. Looks like Anisimova was the only one to do anything from my post the other day. Didn't win but did get a set. I'm sure she and her camp will have some nice takeaways from that.

Good win for Kenin over Keys. And Kvitova is possibly in prime position to take advantage of this draw. Easy win over Putinseva. Will play Sakkari later. Sakkari has had a nice year. But I never know if she's there yet. I thought she was gonna have a good year last year after a couple deep runs at the end of 2017 and then she did not have a great year last year. So I don't know. We'll see.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Venus is out, losing to Konta 6-2, 6-4.

I turned away for a few minutes when Venus already up a break in the 2nd and playing within herself allowing Konta to make an UFE! I come back and it's over! WTF? Not like I care, but that's so bizarre for an experienced veteran player to forget how to play for a while like that! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :help: :wacko: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
WILD day in Rome. Annoyed to see Sloane couldn't deal with Konta. But neither could Venus. So Konta through to the quarters here. Feels like her first significant quarter in a while. Possibly just taking advantage of the craziness in Rome. But also possibly rounding into form again.

Muguruza just retired against Vika. So a reverse of how it went down in Monterrey.

Mladenovic's 2 wins today is so impressive.

How about Vondrousova over Halep though! She's had a great year. But I did not see that coming. Even though, according to one of the posts above, this is her second win over Halep just this year. I guess I don't care about Halep enough to keep up with her losses.

The other Kiki, Bertens that is, with 2 set points against CSN out on court 6. Make that 1 set point. She was up 40-love. She does get the third one though. 6-4 first set for her after a battle with Anisimova. Looks like Anisimova was the only one to do anything from my post the other day. Didn't win but did get a set. I'm sure she and her camp will have some nice takeaways from that.

Good win for Kenin over Keys. And Kvitova is possibly in prime position to take advantage of this draw. Easy win over Putinseva. Will play Sakkari later. Sakkari has had a nice year. But I never know if she's there yet. I thought she was gonna have a good year last year after a couple deep runs at the end of 2017 and then she did not have a great year last year. So I don't know. We'll see.

Thanks for the summary, @tenisplayrla08 — I feel caught up.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First finalist Konta who normally isn't a claycourt player sends Bertens packing after 2h 49m intense fight
upload_2019-5-18_15-19-1.png

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pliskova got her revenge against Sakkari. Last time they played ended up with that incident a year ago in Rome.

Pliskova should have a GS by the end of her career.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Naomi is no dummy. She made it public knowledge she wanted that #1 ranking for RG. As soon as she secured it she withdrew. She does not want to risk injury playing a warm-up when she's going for 3 in a row.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Naomi is no dummy. She made it public knowledge she wanted that #1 ranking for RG. As soon as she secured it she withdrew. She does not want to risk injury playing a warm-up when she's going for 3 in a row.

Do you think she has a good chance of winning RG? so far with the lead up clay tournaments before RG there is no stand out player,Halep is carrying a injury,I cannot see Kerber doing much still out with an ankle injury,Petra also withdrew though I think it was more of a precaution.....though after Rome players do have a week off,though there are smaller clay tournaments.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Do you think she has a good chance of winning RG? so far with the lead up clay tournaments before RG there is no stand out player,Halep is carrying a injury,I cannot see Kerber doing much still out with an ankle injury,Petra also withdrew though I think it was more of a precaution.....though after Rome players do have a week off,though there are smaller clay tournaments.
She could go deep, but I don't think she'll win it unless someone takes out the following players for her:
Both Kiki's
Simona
Serena
Everyone else she can beat even though it's not her favorite surface

Tenfan63

Futures Player
Reactions
She could go deep, but I don't think she'll win it unless someone takes out the following players for her:
Both Kiki's
Simona
Serena
Everyone else she can beat even though it's not her favorite surface
Do you think Serena has a chance to win RG?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Do you think Serena has a chance to win RG?
If she had gone deep in Rome, I would've said yes. Most of the years she won Rome she also did well at RG. But she hasn't played in months. She plays one match and then withdraws. It can't be good for her confidence and I argue it doesn't help her w/ playing the big points better. We all know the only way to learn that is from playing matches. We'll have to see. If she gets a favorable draw and/or some pitfalls are eliminated by others she could pull it off.

I still think Wimby is probably her best shot as long as she serves well.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
great for Pliskova, congrats to the new N°2