Internazionali BNL d'Italia - Rome Open - WTA Premiere, 2019

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena doesn't play enough. When you take long breaks in between tournaments, it's easier to strain a muscle. This was her 4th tournament of the year. Most players play that many tournaments in 2 months and that's her total for the year. Three of them she retired or withdraw mid-tournament. I know her pride won't let her, but I wish she would play a small tournament to gain some confidence, get some reps, learn how to play the big points and win a title.

The days of walking into a slam w/o preparation and winning are over. She found that out last year. She got to the finals, but couldn't produce her best in the final match.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
First/Second Round Results - Tuesday, May 14, 2019
upload_2019-5-14_21-51-15.png

upload_2019-5-14_21-52-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-14_21-52-4.png
    upload_2019-5-14_21-52-4.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 84

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She obviously doesn't want to play Venus! This kind of thing has been going on for over 20 years! It's ridiculous! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :cuckoo: :eek:
Afraid of Grandma Venus? She doesn't even have a first serve. Puhleeze.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I always hate to see this whole, "Serena just doesn't wanna play Venus" stuff. Or that they don't like playing each other. They boycotted a tournament for 15 years because people said horrible things to them and made that point.

But. If Serena feels her knee isn't 100%. If she even suspects that it's not all there. She definitely doesn't want to play the woman that knows her game the best. She's not crazy. Playing Venus is never easy. For anyone. And on clay, the movement could cripple her knee for RG or worse, Wimbledon. So she should completely take every precaution. Because Wimbledon is where it's at for her anyways. Also. She needs her legs and knees for her serve. And if the knee is not 100% the serve immediately takes a hit. Without her serve, she's still a fierce opponent. But it makes life MUCH more difficult. Just no need to risk it.

I will then say that she also just got back from the Met Gala, which is why she skipped Madrid. She just launched a new clothing line or something and used the Met Gala to showcase it I think. Or something like that. I don't know too much about her stuff outside of tennis. Anyways. She's probably exhausted. Full time mom. Launching a new business venture. Met Gala appearance. Had the knee injury already. All the travel. She ain't 25 anymore.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I always hate to see this whole, "Serena just doesn't wanna play Venus" stuff. Or that they don't like playing each other. They boycotted a tournament for 15 years because people said horrible things to them and made that point.

But. If Serena feels her knee isn't 100%. If she even suspects that it's not all there. She definitely doesn't want to play the woman that knows her game the best. She's not crazy. Playing Venus is never easy. For anyone. And on clay, the movement could cripple her knee for RG or worse, Wimbledon. So she should completely take every precaution. Because Wimbledon is where it's at for her anyways. Also. She needs her legs and knees for her serve. And if the knee is not 100% the serve immediately takes a hit. Without her serve, she's still a fierce opponent. But it makes life MUCH more difficult. Just no need to risk it.

I will then say that she also just got back from the Met Gala, which is why she skipped Madrid. She just launched a new clothing line or something and used the Met Gala to showcase it I think. Or something like that. I don't know too much about her stuff outside of tennis. Anyways. She's probably exhausted. Full time mom. Launching a new business venture. Met Gala appearance. Had the knee injury already. All the travel. She ain't 25 anymore.

All the more reason to get off the tour! I won't miss her part time act! I barely pay attention to the ladies; all so generically hitting the ball! I can't even keep up or pronounce their names! I really haven't cared much for the ladies since the days of the Martinas & Justine Henin! It bothers me that Serena can leave and come back as if she never left and they bow to her domineering persona and game! They're beating her more, but she's still thought of as the best player in the world; heard it on ESPN today due to her WD! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Excited to see Vika come through today. Svitolina has definitely been struggling. And clay has never been Vika's strongest surface. So if she can't turn this into a deep run here or RG I won't be super surprised. But she has been to the final here before. WAY back in 2013. Which is strange to say. But like. That was 6 years ago now.

Hoping Muguruza can take out Collins because I'd love to see Vika v Muguruza again. We didn't get it back in Monterrey because Vika pulled out I think. Or retired mid match. I don't remember. Still. I'd love to see them both healthy go toe to toe. Muguruza lost a tight one to Martic last week in Madrid. But dealt with Zheng somewhat easily it appears. Clay still where it all started for her. Waiting for her to get her mojo back. Even if I'm not her biggest fan.

Looking forward to Stephens, Kvitova and Halep getting underway tomorrow. See how they rebound. Bertens was clearly playing the probably the best tennis of her career. So maybe they all will take heart that they just ran into an inspired player. Of course I'm mostly interested in Sloane. Hoping she can go deep here. For confidence for one. So she can have some momentum going into RG. But also so that if she doesn't defend her final from last year, her ranking doesn't tumble too far. Seeing as while it looks like she may be finding her best form again and could win RG or defend that final. We all know she could just as easily lose in the first round. She's only played Konta once, earlier this year in Brisbane, and lost. So I'm looking forward to that match in particular anyways. But should she come through a match up with Venus looms. That should be fun!

Bertens has to deal with Anisimova. I don't think I've seen her do too well on the clay yet. Maybe it's not her forte. I don't know. But Bertens coming off the biggest title of her career MIGHT be in for a letdown. Not really sure. At the moment she looks like one of the top 3 or so women to beat on clay. But we'll see if she's got back to back deep runs in her. I assume she does. I'm sure she's done it before. Just curious how it will go this time. Partially because I've been very impressed with Anisimova so far this year. Curious to see if she can push a seasoned veteran, on their favorite surface, at the top of their game, who isn't undersized compared to herself.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
All the more reason to get off the tour! I won't miss her part time act! I barely pay attention to the ladies; all so generically hitting the ball! I can't even keep up or pronounce their names! I really haven't cared much for the ladies since the days of the Martinas & Justine Henin! It bothers me that Serena can leave and come back as if she never left and they bow to her domineering persona and game! They're beating her more, but she's still thought of as the best player in the world; heard it on ESPN today due to her WD! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:

Well for those of us who do care about the women's game, we don't want to see her go. Or at least I don't. And if you don't care about women's tennis, that's cool. You can go. lol

Just kidding. But seriously.

I mean. Serena is a HUGE pull for the game. She knows that. These are actually possibly her prime earning years. At least off the court. The sporting world has FINALLY given her her due. So her endorsements are up. Her profile is up. Of course she doesn't really need the money. But if she can keep rakin' it in, she ain't goin' nowhere. Same with Fed. He signed that 10 year deal with Uniqlo last year. He will not still be playing in 10 years. He has repeatedly said he'll play ... basically as long as he can compete. Or as long as he's enjoying it. And maybe he'll surprise us all and retire at the end of this year. But I'm betting it's more likely he at least goes through next year if not til 40 (2021). Serena is like a month younger than him. She could do the same thing. She gets to do whatever she wants. AND, if she's not healthy, then obviously she's not the toughest opponent on tour. But if she is healthy, she's easily still one of the 3 best players on tour and the other 2... you don't really know who they are at any given moment. Right now it certainly seems like Osaka is the best player (off clay). But she's definitely gonna have some growing pains too. Plenty of room for Serena to show up and show out and make her own opportunities. And of course there's the fact that she's still less than 2 years removed from giving birth and another pulmonary embolism after giving birth. And making the finals of the last 2 slams of last year, even though she lost them, says A LOT about where she stands. Still the premier force to be reckoned with on tour. Maybe she's not the best player on tour. But that is not an easy case to make.

If anyone had stepped up to even sort of dominate while she was out or even after she came back, it'd be a different story. Osaka has won 2 straight slams now. But she hasn't dominated anywhere else. I'm a huge fan of hers. Have been since she was 18. She's a force. And may just take over. But Serena isn't just going to let her have it. Halep couldn't completely dominate even though she was clearly the most consistent player. Stephens .... is immensely frustrating and can't play her best tennis consistently at all. Therefore hasn't come anywhere near dominating. Muguruza disappeared just when it looked like she could take advantage of an opening. Kvitova looking great in stretches of the last 2 years after her near career ending injury. But has never, and probably never will dominate. Kerber will always be streaky and no one has really ever considered her to be a dominant threat anyways. Maybe we're watching Bertens blossom into a dominant force. But I doubt that. There are a TON of young women who all look like they could win a slam or two or consistently make the latter stages of slams and contend for the top 5. Serena's successor(s) will rise. But the Queen ain't done yet.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena doesn't play enough. When you take long breaks in between tournaments, it's easier to strain a muscle. This was her 4th tournament of the year. Most players play that many tournaments in 2 months and that's her total for the year. Three of them she retired or withdraw mid-tournament. I know her pride won't let her, but I wish she would play a small tournament to gain some confidence, get some reps, learn how to play the big points and win a title.

The days of walking into a slam w/o preparation and winning are over. She found that out last year. She got to the finals, but couldn't produce her best in the final match.

I also think given her age getting over injuries does take longer.I also agree playing limited tournaments,taking longer breaks between tournaments,injuries can be more frequent.Being a mother is a full time job in itself,regardless of trying to juggle a tennis career or any career in fact.Serena has also many outside interests of tennis,so I guess she will have to think in the long term and prioritize accordingly.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought it was Petko who used to dance after winning. Did Vika also dance?
Nah - it's her coach and hitting partner that's dancing - at least in this video ;) And Svitolina had NO problems with her knee in that match - it's just Vika playing better.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matches scheduled for today will now take place tomorrow (Thursday May 16) and the day session will be split into two parts according to officials.Schedule to come.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mlade beat Bencic, Cornet retired

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Williams sisters just don't like playing one another! That's nothing new! Catch up sometime! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :ptennis:
I don't need to catch up. I'm completely aware of what's going on. If not liking to face each other was the only reason, there would be way more withdrawals. Anyway, for someone who claims not to keep up w/ the WTA, you're always here posting about it. So there's obviously something about it you like or you would turn the TV off when Novak wasn't playing.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First she sent Bencic packing earlier this day then she sent Barty packing - Sascha you're doing a good job

And Venus has left the building too loses to Johanna Konta 62 64

And ANOTHER retirement from Muguruza losing to Victoria Azarenka 64 31

Last edited: