Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy - WTA 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I got up in end of the first to see the early break and a few games, and decided it was too sad to watch. Happy for Swiatek's run, but Sabalenka, she's a head-scratcher.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Controlling her aggressive shots would be one way to stop those UFE for starters, though Iga is too good for Sabalenka in every way.
You're basically asking her to become someone she is not, nor does it appear she has the desire to become. This isn't her first rodeo.

She has built her entire game around ripping the cover off the ball w/ no margin whatsoever. She doesn't even have an inkling to temper her shots. As a coach, I don't know how you fix that. She has to want to win a different way and then will execute accordingly.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You're basically asking her to become someone she is not, nor does it appear she has the desire to become. This isn't her first rodeo.

She has built her entire game around ripping the cover off the ball w/ no margin whatsoever. She doesn't even have an inkling to temper her shots. As a coach, I don't know how you fix that. She has to want to win a different way and then will execute accordingly.
Apparently her coach cannot change the way she plays,she will continue to be a UFE machine and a player that commits too many DFs ,also at crucial times in matches.Quite frankly I cannot watch anymore of her matches,unless she plays against one of my favorite players.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken to love by Swiatek with 3 UFE in her first service game from Sabalenka .........Oh dear!
BTW there is no need for Sabalenka to have such a 'high ball toss' for starters no wonder she DFs
Maybe she is thinking she is going to touch the top of the roof but there's no roofing for outdoors courts, jajaja

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently her coach cannot change the way she plays,she will continue to be a UFE machine and a player that commits too many DFs ,also at crucial times in matches.Quite frankly I cannot watch anymore of her matches,unless she plays against one of my favorite players.
This is why my only hope for Maddie is to reach a GS final with Saba across the net. I know that's a real "pipes" dream.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I can only say from what I saw - Sabalenka was desperate to do something that could desturb Iga's game, and then you make mistakes . Iga is too good right now.
It's amazing that Saba is ranked so high. All you have to do is keep the ball in play and try to extend her service games. Saba will eventually implode.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ons survives in a great match - great play from both ladies - although Ons looked very tired in the midle of third set.
1652549806924.png

Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hurray, Ons! Some final set. Gotta go protest some stupidity, so hold down the fort on the men's SF, kids.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sure seems to be that Iga has that “swagger” that so many champs possess, playing within her game.

Of course a 27 match win streak helps with that .

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I knew that Kasatkina would be no walk over for Ons, she has had a solid tournament making the s/final of a WTA 1000
Point being, I like Kskate hope Ons has something left in the tank for the final.
I love watching Iga, though these days they are just one sided matches.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
whoever wins Rome will not win RG22
Hey Tossip may I ask why do you think that, Iga's favorite surface is clay, already won 1 GS title at RG, she had a well earned rest not competing in Madrid, at present I cannot see anyone that can defeat her on clay

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hey Tossip may I ask why do you think that, Iga's favorite surface is clay, already won 1 GS title at RG, she had a well earned rest not competing in Madrid, at present I cannot see anyone that can defeat her on clay
Unless Ash comes back, I don't know if anyone besides Ons is even close..

Question, what happened to Ostapenko clay court tennis game or the chick that won it last year?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Unless Ash comes back, I don't know if anyone besides Ons is even close..

Question, what happened to Ostapenko clay court tennis game or the chick that won it last year?
I cannot see Ash coming back, at the moment she is writing children's books and is doing a golf exhibition in the USA in the middle of the year.
Barbora Krejcikova has been out with a elbow injury, though she is due to play a smaller clay tournament before RG,though I cannot see her defending her RG GS title
Ostapenko is not consistent enough to win RG this year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I cannot see Ash coming back, at the moment she is writing children's books and is doing a golf exhibition in the USA in the middle of the year.
Barbora Krejcikova has been out with a elbow injury, though she is due to play a smaller clay tournament before RG,though I cannot see her defending her RG GS title
Ostapenko is not consistent enough to win RG this year.
Thanks for the update

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ladies Singles Final, Sunday 15th May,
1.00pm local time,

I.Swiatek (1) vs Ons Jabeur (9) H2H Jabeur 2-1
This is their first meeting on a clay court.

One player in this final will lose their match winning streak with the outcome of this final.

Iga is on a 27 straight match winning streak and this is her 5th final in a row.Iga has not lost a set en route to the final.

Ons is on a 11 straight match winning streak ( recently won Madrid WTA 1000). If Ons wins Rome tournament, she would be the first woman to win back to back Madrid and Rome titles since Serena Williams in 2013.

Hoping this is a competitive final and good luck to Iga and Ons!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jabeur had love 30 on Swiatek's serve, though could not convert her chances, her use of the drop shot so far is not very effective as Swiatek reading it well and getting to the shot with ease

Swiatek 5-2 1st set

Swiatek with her 2nd SP again Jabeur's drop shot was met with ease by Swiatek

Swiatek 1st set 62

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, Margaret,

Just caught the tail end of the set. Swiatek looked imposing at the least anyway.