Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome - ATP Masters 1000

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am missing Ruud , is he injured?
It would be sad, he's in very good shape at the moment.
Hope it’s not a potentially serious injury with Ruud because at the moments he’s 16th in the ranking but has a fairly good chunk of points sliding off (360) per the ATP website so I'm wondering if that means half of those (180) actually comes off? which would put him in jeopardy of getting a top gun before the 4th round at Roland Garos if he's 17th or lower.

Speakng of which, a beneficiary could potentially be Sinner, I do think it’s a pity if Sinner can't scratch his way up to #16 ranking by the time of the FO, he's at the moment 18th, 120 points behind Ruud and 41 points behind 17th Dimitrov.

Last edited:
Reactions: napo and Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A bit more. I think what we need to see is two things: One, he needs to beat a big-time player at a big tournament. It doesn't have to be Novak or Rafa at a Slam, but one of Tsitsipas, Zverev Rublev, Medvedev, or Thiem at a Master's. Two, he needs to win a final - it doesn't matter what level, any will do.

Remember when he used to own Tsitsipas? He's now lost four in a row. Last year he lost once each to Tsitsipas, Zverev, Rublev, and Thiem the only times he faced them. As far as I can tell, the highest ranked players he's beaten are Denis Shapovalov, who was #12 at the time, and Bautista Agut, who was #13 at the time.

Actually, he seems to be in a similar category as Shapovalov: a talented young guy who hasn't quite put together his prodigious talents and is thus on the outside looking in of the "Next Gen inner circle." Shapo has only made two finals, though, winning one (Krajinovic at the 2019 Stockholm Open). I think FAA's seven finals speaks to his greater talent, but 0-7 is just...brutal.

If and when we see FAA do those two things--beat a big-time player (top 10, at least) in a big title AND win a title, then we might see a leap forward. If those two things happen, it might come together for him very quickly. But until it happens, well, we'll be left wondering What Could Be. Just as Shapo could be seen as this era's Dolgopolov (or maybe Monfils), so too might FAA be in danger of being the new Dimitrov. But we're not there...yet.
I appreciate your considered responses, esp. since I tagged you. I want to make clear that I do think that Felix is still so young and it is too soon to panic, though you laid out what has been going on of late very well, and I think you're right as to what he needs to take a step up, rather than stagnating/stalling. I threw out some names rather off the top of my head, when we were speaking of young Sinner, and I actually thought of Shapo, after I'd posted. Also still young, so I still have hopes for him, too. The one for whom I do believe the ship has sailed is Dimitrov, and so he was the one I mentioned as the cautionary tale. Interesting that he had lesser results than FAA at this stage. I think he was sort of the first "next best thing" and a lot of folks (by which I mean the pro-commentators, esp.) were enamored of his Federer-like style. He was over-hyped for a LONG time. I was saying that Sinner seems to have a sensible approach to the attention, but I would say the same about FAA and Shapovalov. (They are Canadian, after all.) Just saying that a lot of attention early in the process can complicate things for a young player. As I said, the "weight of expectations." 2021 is still a COVID-odd season, so we'll see how things develop. Sinner does look like he's THE teenager, right now, but maybe it's fair to expect some stagnating, as well, before he hits his stride.

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hope it’s not a potentially serious injury with Ruud because at the moments he’s 16th in the ranking but has a fairly good chunk of points sliding off (360) per the ATP website so I'm wondering if that means half of those (180) actually comes off? which would put him in jeopardy of getting a top gun before the 4th round at Roland Garos if he's 17th or lower.

Speakng of which, a beneficiary could potentially be Sinner, I do think it’s a pity if Sinner can't scratch his way up to #16 ranking by the time of the FO, he's at the moment 18th, 120 points behind Ruud and 41 points behind 17th Dimitrov.
I can't find talk of an injury. Maybe just time to rest up for RG? He has been playing a lot of tennis at an unaccustomedly high level of late.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner is cruising, we will see him against Nadal in the next round.

Delbonis turning his match against Kachanov completely around, after losing the 1st, now 5:0 in the 3rd.

Kei was impressive today! He is a pleasure to watch when healthy and inform.
It's good when Kei is healthy and playing well, but Fabio seems still to be in a pet or distracted by recent dramas. Particularly in Rome, I would have thought that would have been a better match. (Only looking at scores.)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't find talk of an injury. Maybe just time to rest up for RG? He has been playing a lot of tennis at an unaccustomedly high level of late.
From what I just read there is not a injury concern,just a pause in playing before RG,which in hindsight is a good idea.
Casper is into the Top 20 for the first time in his career high No16 he started the season at No27.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At this point, I am officially worried, or at least the luster has dimmed. If you combine FAA's well-rounded skillset (despite that second serve) and his age/ranking correlations, there's no reason not to expect him to be an elite player. But he doesn't seem to be able to get over the hump, and it is taking longer than it usually does for elite players. Meaning, a year ago I was pretty bullish on his future stardom, now I'm more hesitant. Six months ago we could chalk up his stagnation as being on account of the unusual nature of 2020, but given that he is struggling with the same issues and showing no signs of improvement (as far as I can tell), the luster has dimmed a bit.

The Dimitrov comp is interesting, but I do think he's further along than Dimitrov was at the same age. Dimitrov was 20-21 in 2012, and hanging out in the latter half of the top 100. Dimitrov didn't breach the top 20 until he was 22 (early 2014) and the top 10 until later that year, after he turned 23. FAA was in the top 20 at 19 years old. The problem is that was almost two years ago, and he still hasn't made it past #17 since or, more importantly, won a title.

That said, he is still only 20 years old and any 20-year old ranked around #20--in this era--probably has a bright future ahead of him. I suspect the biggest problem is in his head which, as we know in tennis, is not insignificant. But it is workable - the talent is there for him to be a top 5 player, and maybe a #1. But I do think he has been surpassed by Jannik Sinner as the guy with the best future ahead of him and most likely to separate himself from the pack. Now I think a more likely outcome is that he joins the pack, rather than singles himself out. Sinner seems the most likely candidate to be "that guy."
Can I get your thoughts with Felix adding Toni Nadal to his team,do you think he can get Felix over 'that hump' mentally wise in finals?

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
A bit more. I think what we need to see is two things: One, he needs to beat a big-time player at a big tournament. It doesn't have to be Novak or Rafa at a Slam, but one of Tsitsipas, Zverev Rublev, Medvedev, or Thiem at a Master's. Two, he needs to win a final - it doesn't matter what level, any will do.

Remember when he used to own Tsitsipas? He's now lost four in a row. Last year he lost once each to Tsitsipas, Zverev, Rublev, and Thiem the only times he faced them. As far as I can tell, the highest ranked players he's beaten are Denis Shapovalov, who was #12 at the time, and Bautista Agut, who was #13 at the time.

Actually, he seems to be in a similar category as Shapovalov: a talented young guy who hasn't quite put together his prodigious talents and is thus on the outside looking in of the "Next Gen inner circle." Shapo has only made two finals, though, winning one (Krajinovic at the 2019 Stockholm Open). I think FAA's seven finals speaks to his greater talent, but 0-7 is just...brutal.

If and when we see FAA do those two things--beat a big-time player (top 10, at least) in a big title AND win a title, then we might see a leap forward. If those two things happen, it might come together for him very quickly. But until it happens, well, we'll be left wondering What Could Be. Just as Shapo could be seen as this era's Dolgopolov (or maybe Monfils), so too might FAA be in danger of being the new Dimitrov. But we're not there...yet.
DAMN. El Dude is back on his game . I know he hates my guts but I do respect a lot of his posts

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I agree with you that at 20, too soon to write off Felix. Keep in mind he turns 21 in a couple of months. Gets more interesting when you throw in the competition context: you have the fast rising Sinner at 19 who is already ranked higher, (& lets see how well 18 year old Musetti and Alcaraz progress) and the still improving Ruud, Tsitsipas & Rublev who are 22, 22 and 23 respectively., and again, all ranked higher. Denis Shapovalov is his Canadian counterpart who is ranked slightly higher and their head2head is sort of an anomaly because they know each other so well, so it makes sense Felix would have less issues mentally being competitive with Dennis. However that doesn't seem to be the case with the other young guns. Even 24 year old Zverev's game doesn't seem particularly threatened by Felix. Arthur Ashe once described it as the "quantum leap" when you can rise to the top tier beyond top 25, that is the question with Felix. The smooth silky all around game of Aliassime should keep him in good stead as a top 40 player for the foreseeable future, perhaps even years to come barring injury, but that's different than the promise his game offered when he burst onto the scene.

Reactions: El Dude and Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My question is...is this guy normal or only like to get attention?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My question is...is this guy normal or only like to get attention?

No, he's insane. Or he's a wanker. But I don't think it's for the attention. The attention isn't doing him any good.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with you that at 20, too soon to write off Felix. Keep in mind he turns 21 in a couple of months. Gets more interesting when you throw in the competition context: you have the fast rising Sinner at 19 who is already ranked higher, (& lets see how well 18 year old Musetti and Alcaraz progress) and the still improving Ruud, Tsitsipas & Rublev who are 22, 22 and 23 respectively., and again, all ranked higher. Denis Shapovalov is his Canadian counterpart who is ranked slightly higher and their head2head is sort of an anomaly because they know each other so well, so it makes sense Felix would have less issues mentally being competitive with Dennis. However that doesn't seem to be the case with the other young guns. Even 24 year old Zverev's game doesn't seem particularly threatened by Felix. Arthur Ashe once described it as the "quantum leap" when you can rise to the top tier beyond top 25, that is the question with Felix. The smooth silky all around game of Aliassime should keep him in good stead as a top 40 player for the foreseeable future, perhaps even years to come barring injury, but that's different than the promise his game offered when he burst onto the scene.
Felix once had a decent H2H vs Tstis and I think Zverev..Felix's issues is during championship Sunday, his tank is empty and he doesn't manage his nerves. Toni will eventually help with that and show him the"eye of the Tiger". This is where I and El Dude ( my jailer) felt that Sampras's championship pedigree mentality would have been a better fit for the mild mannered FAA. Just remember in " Life Everyone comes and goes at their own chosen speed".

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DAMN. El Dude is back on his game . I know he hates my guts but I do respect a lot of his posts
What are you talking about? I don't have much hate in my heart, certainly not for you as one of the more reasonable Rafa fans. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Can I get your thoughts with Felix adding Toni Nadal to his team,do you think he can get Felix over 'that hump' mentally wise in finals?
Man, I don't know. My first thought is that there's no way to tell what Toni's real influence will be as the only guy he's previously coached was his nephew. I don't think there would be any value in saying, "Well look how Rafa turned out, therefore FAA will be a badass." But certainly Toni has watched one of the greatest of all time go through everything, from being a peon swinging a racket for the first time to his prime and all the bumps between, including some rough patches (e.g. 2015-16). So I don't think it hurts and can only really help, but in the end it really comes down to Felix - just like, in the end, it came down to Rafa, who would have succeeded regardless of his coach.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, I almost mentioned Musetti and Alcaraz as two young pups in the rearview mirror. They're both still a bit away from the top 20, though, but are the two teenagers (other than Sinner) worth keeping an eye on at this point. Remember when Jack Draper was supposed to be the next guy? He's already 19 and has only ever reached #283.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I appreciate your considered responses, esp. since I tagged you. I want to make clear that I do think that Felix is still so young and it is too soon to panic, though you laid out what has been going on of late very well, and I think you're right as to what he needs to take a step up, rather than stagnating/stalling. I threw out some names rather off the top of my head, when we were speaking of young Sinner, and I actually thought of Shapo, after I'd posted. Also still young, so I still have hopes for him, too. The one for whom I do believe the ship has sailed is Dimitrov, and so he was the one I mentioned as the cautionary tale. Interesting that he had lesser results than FAA at this stage. I think he was sort of the first "next best thing" and a lot of folks (by which I mean the pro-commentators, esp.) were enamored of his Federer-like style. He was over-hyped for a LONG time. I was saying that Sinner seems to have a sensible approach to the attention, but I would say the same about FAA and Shapovalov. (They are Canadian, after all.) Just saying that a lot of attention early in the process can complicate things for a young player. As I said, the "weight of expectations." 2021 is still a COVID-odd season, so we'll see how things develop. Sinner does look like he's THE teenager, right now, but maybe it's fair to expect some stagnating, as well, before he hits his stride.
Well, Dimitrov did have some good moments and that nice little run where he won a Masters and the WTF. I mean, before that happened it looked like he would never win a big title and he landed two within a few months of each other. Of course the fact that he fell back down to earth after that speaks of his lack of competitive drive. But he hasn't been a complete waste of potential, and he did something that other underachievers like Monfils and Gasquet never did. But I'd be very, very surprised if he ever won a Slam - there's just too many younger, hungrier, and frankly better, players now. Before the Next Gen guys emerged, the only way Dimitrov would have won a Slam is by the stars perfectly aligning - say, Roger being hurt and missing Wimbledon, Rafa being taken out early by a big server, and Novak being taken down by someone like Wawrinka. And then, maybe, he could have done it. But he really had that one shot vs Rafa at the 2017 AO. He probably wouldn't have beaten Roger in the final, but it could have been interesting. But now, with all the young guys--plus Rafa and Novak still playing at a high level--there are just too many obstacles to overcome.

In a way Dimitrov is more Federer than Federer is. My biggest complaint about Roger is that he's not quite as great a competitor as he is a pure tennis talent (I mean, this is a quibble: the guy has had an amazing career, and is a great competitor - but I do see him as third fiddle to Rafa and Novak in that department). The heart-breaking 2019 Wimbledon final was the absolute case-in-point: He played an even match with Novak and had a couple championship points, but couldn't hold his nerves. If Roger were a bit more mentally strong, he likely would have won even more than he did. Dimitrov is like that, but in addition to being a lesser talent (although still very talented and beautiful to watch), he just doesn't have the competitor's mentality. With, say, a strong dose of Rafa's competitive nature, Grigor could have been a regular top 5 player, even vying with Andy for that vaunted "worst of the best, best of the rest" spot. Like Obi-Wan said to Anakin, "You were the Chosen One!" But alas, it wasn't to be.

I don't think we're in that kind of territory with FAA, at least not yet. And I've long said that the post-Big Four era would be more of a Wild West like the late 90s to early 00s, with no clear dominant player, and a couple of old greats handing around. Then it was Sampras and Agassi, now its Novak and Rafa (and maybe Federer for a bit longer). Kuerten almost became the next guy, but didn't have the off-clay game. Safin maybe should have been the guy, but he was, well, Safin. When I first heard about FAA back in 2017 (I think), I thought, "wait a minute, maybe he's the (Chosen) One!" But then concerns started to show up - first his heart issue, but then he seemed fine and tore through the lower ranks of the ATP tour in early 2019, reaching the top 20 right after his 19th birthday. That was the peak of the sense of him being the future top player and that was a year and a half ago and he has stagnated since.

I do think he deserves a bit of a flyer due to the unusual nature of the times, at least to some extent. But I would have liked to see him start this year where he left off, and then continue to rise from there. Instead, he just seems like the same talented but flawed player he was in 2019-20. Let's see how the rest of the year unfolds, though. I suspect as soon as we turn our attention away something will click and he'll start winning titles and going deeper into Slams. But I will say, if he doesn't reach the top 10 and win a title or three by year's end, I'll be disappointed.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
FELIX is already traveling with a gf tats not good if not focused.I always wonder about his relationship with his dad..whether he grew up trying to fit in his mother s side of the family and ignoring his dad side of family.He doesnt seem to have confidence at all.