Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, CA, USA, ATP Masters 2017

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
see my post on the Novak thread... after the insane dominance of 2015-16, novak is burnt out. He will need like a year to get back his top form. Remember 2011? what happened in 12 and 13? Novak crashed.. Baseliners like Nadal, Novak, murray and Agassi cannot dominate for too long, their styles are too taxing on the mind and body. These types of players can dominate for 1-2 years and then go away for 1 year...

Leaving aside the sorpresive results in this last AO and IW, did Federer dominate since 2010 until 2016? just asking....

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
1. Roger didn't have to play Andy or Novak
2. Roger didn't have to play Kyrgios
3. Stan didn't play great
4. Roger has a new racquet
5. The crowd disproportionately rooted for Roger
6. Rafa didn't play his best 2 rounds ago
7. Roger trains in Dubai so he's used to intense heat

Did I miss anything?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
lacatch said:
1. Roger didn't have to play Andy or Novak
2. Roger didn't have to play Kyrgios
3. Stan didn't play great
4. Roger has a new racquet
5. The crowd disproportionately rooted for Roger
6. Rafa didn't play his best 2 rounds ago
7. Roger trains in Dubai so he's used to intense heat

Did I miss anything?

'6'/8. Roger didn't have to play the "real" Nadal! :rolleyes: :snicker - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html -

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
mightyjeditribble said:
Some interesting points from Christopher Clarey (NYT Tennis writer) on twitter:

Federer said his pre-season goal was to be back in the top 8 after Wimbledon. :)

Federer would like to have to start to play in Miami as late as possible (guess that means Saturday?), but plans to play.

The draw's already decimated by Nole and Andy skipping the event! Kei's #2 seed behind Stan? :nono :angel: :blush: :cover

- - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Miami_Open_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles - -

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy for you, Twisted, and your fellow feddies. Do you think he should play Miami, or would you prefer him to skip? My understanding is that he's going to play a limited clay schedule.

I'd still prefer he skips Miami. The big picture this year remains the slams, particularly Wimbledon. Fed can't get hung up on thoughts of regaining #1 until he is very close to it (if that happens). It may be hard to do especially as the media keeps harping on his chances at doing it but he's always been smart with his scheduling and I don't think he will overplay. And coming into this year I mentioned often that it'd be great if Roger could get to a top 4 seed for Wimbledon. After today that's all but a given since the Wimbledon seeding system would help him a lot. So I just hope he stays healthy and doesn't overplay ahead of Wimbledon.

With that said Roger only has played 7 matches since AO, even at IW he only needed to play 5 due to the Kyrgios walkover. And though IW and Miami are back to back the winner of the first tournament still gets more rest than you see at other back to back tourneys. Fed might not have to play until next Friday whereas if he won Toronto this year and played Cincy he'd be playing on Wednesday at the latest. Basically if Roger feels even slightly sore or tired by the middle of this week I hope he skips it.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
regardless Fed is very impressive, winning the title without dropping a set.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd still prefer he skips Miami. The big picture this year remains the slams, particularly Wimbledon. Fed can't get hung up on thoughts of regaining #1 until he is very close to it (if that happens). It may be hard to do especially as the media keeps harping on his chances at doing it but he's always been smart with his scheduling and I don't think he will overplay. And coming into this year I mentioned often that it'd be great if Roger could get to a top 4 seed for Wimbledon. After today that's all but a given since the Wimbledon seeding system would help him a lot. So I just hope he stays healthy and doesn't overplay ahead of Wimbledon.

With that said Roger only has played 7 matches since AO, even at IW he only needed to play 5 due to the Kyrgios walkover. And though IW and Miami are back to back the winner of the first tournament still gets more rest than you see at other back to back tourneys. Fed might not have to play until next Friday whereas if he won Toronto this year and played Cincy he'd be playing on Wednesday at the latest. Basically if Roger feels even slightly sore or tired by the middle of this week I hope he skips it.
That's why I mentioned that he was probably going to play a light clay season. If you're riding a wave, why not keep going, on HCs? And I think he's the last person (which I mean rather literally) who's going to concern himself with the #1 ranking. I think he'll have his priorities straight in this last phase of his career.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he kind of looks slow compared to the past but he simply doesn't need the speed with how he is playing points. He is hitting his backhand very well.

I think also his racquet change was a very important decision which benefited him huge. After Rafa match, he was saying by using the bigger one he doesn't shank it, he can come over it much easier with more power with his backhand. The trade-off he said he lost a bit with the forehand (surely doest look as wicked anymore) but overall the gain far outweighs the loss. I would think it has something to do with Edberg/Ivan as Fed got adventurous with new racquet under their guidance and it's paid great dividends.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's why I mentioned that he was probably going to play a light clay season. If you're riding a wave, why not keep going, on HCs? And I think he's the last person (which I mean rather literally) who's going to concern himself with the #1 ranking. I think he'll have his priorities straight in this last phase of his career.

just say it straight that you can't stand the sight of him, especially he seems to have found a way to compete much better against Rafa.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

The reason to "not keep it going" is simple, why risk possible injury or general fatigue by overplaying at a tournament that doesn't mean a whole lot compared to majors. He will play a light clay schedule but he will still be playing a lot of tennis from Rome through Wimbledon as he's scheduled to play 2 grass warmups. Wimbledon is by far the most important to him as he has a very solid chance to win #8 there as long as he's healthy. The problem he might run into is that Wimbledon is the last of those 5 tournaments. He needs to be very rested for that stretch.

I don't think Roger needs to worry about making any more statements or getting any more momentum. He's done this at events no one would've given him much chance in, he will be feeling very good about Wimbledon chances if he's healthy.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I disagree, Twisted. He's got a few days off to recover - five? - and then after Miami he's got weeks off during clay season. From the final of Miami to Monte Carlo is about three weeks; to Madrid is about six weeks and Rome is seven weeks.

Anyhow, he has no points to defend in Miami. Maybe he doesn't kill himself playing, but still picks up 180 or 360 reaching the QF or SF. Those points will come in handy later on, especially assuming he's only playing one clay Masters.

I mean I hear you about the risk potential, but then why play Stuttgart and Halle? I don't think playing Miami is particularly dangerous for him.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The reason to "not keep it going" is simple, why risk possible injury or general fatigue by overplaying at a tournament that doesn't mean a whole lot compared to majors. He will play a light clay schedule but he will still be playing a lot of tennis from Rome through Wimbledon as he's scheduled to play 2 grass warmups. Wimbledon is by far the most important to him as he has a very solid chance to win #8 there as long as he's healthy. The problem he might run into is that Wimbledon is the last of those 5 tournaments. He needs to be very rested for that stretch.

good post, see if he can stick to the light schedule he planned out. from here out, he'll get so many invitations (with huge appearance fee cheque stuck in it) to play, Mirka will be counting the loss of income if old Roger even dares to bail out. I think under the table, he's got the most earning power of all tennis players the way it's going at the moment.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm also thinking that the fact Andy and Novak are out makes Miami even more enticing as he may enter the tournament as the favorite.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm also thinking that the fact Andy and Novak are out makes Miami even more enticing as he may enter the tournament as the favorite.
I don't see how he wouldn't be the favorite. I'll be hoping that Rafa gets the Miami that has long eluded him.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I just watched the point-by-point highlights of the match. Roger and Stan were neck-on-neck for the most of the match each dominating their own service games. However, Roger played fantastic tennis in clutch moments. He played many great shots in this match too. I remember a crazy volley, some great retrievers and a great passing shot. Roger's backhand looks good to me overall.

I will want to be positive about Miami looking at this.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree, Twisted. He's got a few days off to recover - five? - and then after Miami he's got weeks off during clay season. From the final of Miami to Monte Carlo is about three weeks; to Madrid is about six weeks and Rome is seven weeks.

Anyhow, he has no points to defend in Miami. Maybe he doesn't kill himself playing, but still picks up 180 or 360 reaching the QF or SF. Those points will come in handy later on, especially assuming he's only playing one clay Masters.

I mean I hear you about the risk potential, but then why play Stuttgart and Halle? I don't think playing Miami is particularly dangerous for him.

I get what you're saying but again we are talking a 35 year old coming off a season full of injuries where he had minor surgery. If he plays this week and his back goes out or his knee gets re-injured it will look like the dumbest decision of his career. If he wins obviously it would be nice but that reward isn't nearly as good as the risk is bad. Also, when he's this hot I think there'd only be a few players he could play in the QF or SF stage where a loss isn't a big deal. The points would be nice but with as hot as he is right now we don't want him losing a match to a guy like Rafa, Kyrgios, Raonic, DP, etc. as that can affect things in later matches.

I fully expect Roger to skip Stuttgart if he has a decent run at RG.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
good post, see if he can stick to the light schedule he planned out. from here out, he'll get so many invitations (with huge appearance fee cheque stuck in it) to play, Mirka will be counting the loss of income if old Roger even dares to bail out. I think under the table, he's got the most earning power of all tennis players the way it's going at the moment.

Yes, Roger is definitely the top draw and most likely commands the biggest appearance fee. And as much money as these top athletes have they sometimes give in when tournaments are throwing millions of dollars at them just to show up. I think that's why we've seen him play the occasional 250's like in Turkey, Estoril, and Stockholm. Stuttgart is also now likely throwing a lot of money his way as well in a 2 year contract. Hopefully Roger doesn't "give in" too often at this stage of his career.