How will Djokovic perform against the young generation in 2023?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hear what you're saying, about the notion that if you don't beat him now, it becomes less and less impressive. (See @Front242 and @Kieran's points, above.) @El Dude said something recently about Alcaraz, saying that he should beat Rafa at RG and Novak at either W or AO, to solidify his legacy.

The Big 2-3 have gone run through 2 generations....Lost Gen, Next Gen, and the big 2 are on their third: Gen Z (Not sure Roger played any Gen Z?) I agree that Bo5 is where the men get separated from the boys, but time does run out, and some of these really young guys are very good, and improving fast. However, I do wonder if it matters if they can cap the Big Gun(s?) at the Majors. Are they too generationally distant for it to matter? We still make a fetish for the Big 3, but the guys we're looking at as the future are 16-22 years younger.
I think your last point--that they're "too generationally distant" to matter--is true. Seeing Holger beat Novak or Carlos beat Rafa is more of a novelty than a test of anything.

I mean, one comparison is obvious: Roger vs Pete. But Roger was 19 and still a few years from his peak form, and Pete was a shadow of himself. Furthermore, they were exactly 10 years apart in age, while Novak and Rafa are 16 and 17 years older than Rune and Alcaraz respectively.

Rune and Alcaraz facing Novak and Rafa in 2023 would have been like Roger in late 2001 or early 2002 facing...Stefan Edberg or Mats Wilander, both of whom were already a decade or more past prime and long retired. Obviously the era is different; both those two started declining after 25 or so, while Rafa and Novak are still elite players, or close to it, in the second of their 30s. But you get my point, which supports yours.

Still, I'd like to see it.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh, and I think the young guys can beat the old guys, even at Slams. Alcaraz is already playing at a high level and has a champion mentality. Rune is getting there. Or let me put it this way: Rafa doesn't want to have to face either one, but especially Alcaraz, at Roland Garros until he's got a few matches under his belt, and Novak will think twice about either one at Wimbledon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think your last point--that they're "too generationally distant" to matter--is true. Seeing Holger beat Novak or Carlos beat Rafa is more of a novelty than a test of anything.

I mean, one comparison is obvious: Roger vs Pete. But Roger was 19 and still a few years from his peak form, and Pete was a shadow of himself. Furthermore, they were exactly 10 years apart in age, while Novak and Rafa are 16 and 17 years older than Rune and Alcaraz respectively.

Rune and Alcaraz facing Novak and Rafa in 2023 would have been like Roger in late 2001 or early 2002 facing...Stefan Edberg or Mats Wilander, both of whom were already a decade or more past prime and long retired. Obviously the era is different; both those two started declining after 25 or so, while Rafa and Novak are still elite players, or close to it, in the second of their 30s. But you get my point, which supports yours.

Still, I'd like to see it.
I totally agree I'd still like to see them play the oldsters. As you say, the Roger v. Pete match at Wimbledon is the obvious comparison, and I left it off, maybe for being obvious, but also sort of hard to explain the times we live in, of elites lasting longer, and you did a good job of that, so thanks. But what that Federer d. Sampras match WAS was rather poetic...changing of the guard, and Roger lived up to his end on the other side. It wasn't just a mere upset. So, while Alcaraz and Rune, say, taking out Rafa and Novak, going forward, might not tell us much, TBH, I'd rather see them go down to the next future great than a day-players. (Well, Rafa, anyway, lol.)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This
Lets see if these youngsters can defeat Djokovic in a Grand Slam, best of 5, that will be the 'real test', so far it has been in the best of 3 sets., especially at the AO which is Novak's best GS record, he will be attempting to win his 10th AO title in 2023.Novak at age 35, to me is still in good physical shape, even recently at the end of year finals, not in his best physical shape he found a way to win the title.
Margaret, you are wise and knowledgeable. FAA is gone for a while. Rune couldn’t get past Ruud who made it to the RG final for a 2nd straight year. And Alcaraz faced his match against one of the Big 3 in the semifinals of a Slam. This is what he shared after the match:

“If someone says that he [goes on] court with no nerves playing against Novak, he lies,” Alcaraz said.

“I started match really nervous. The tension of the first set, the second set, it was really intense two sets as well. Really good rallies, tough rallies, you know, drop shots, sprints, rallies. It’s a combination of a lot of things. But, you know, the main thing, it was the tension.”

It’s one thing to actually make it far enough to face Novak in a slam. Credit to Carlos for doing what the other two have yet to do. It’s another thing to beat him.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic is:

0-1 vs Alcaraz
1-1 vs FAA
1-1 vs Rune

and he lost the last match against each...

These players can outhit him and outrun him...

I predict that he will have a losing record against all of them in 2023...

Will he able to avoid them at the AO?
It is the end of the year 2023

Novak won the Australian, French and USO. Lost the Wimbledon final to Carlos.

3-2 vs Alcaraz
3-2 vs Rune

and FAA never made it far enough in the draw to meet him.:lol6:

• Haha
Reactions: shawnbm

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is the end of the year 2023

Novak won the Australian, French and USO. Lost the Wimbledon final to Carlos.

3-2 vs Alcaraz
3-2 vs Rune

and FAA never made it far enough in the draw to meet him.:lol6:

My post was in case Djokovic doesn’t use magical drinks. But he did, and will continue doing it until 50 years old, so yeah, he’s going to continue winning forever and physically outlast players 20 years old younger. Congratulations to your “hero”. :yawningface:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My post was in case Djokovic doesn’t use magical drinks. But he did, and will continue doing it until 50 years old, so yeah, he’s going to continue winning forever and physically outlast players 20 years old younger. Congratulations to your “hero”. :yawningface:
Yes, well you never made that disclaimer in your predictions. While he isn’t my hero, he is my favorite player to watch. I certainly hope he would keep doing this until he was 50, but I think it will probably be only 2 more years, if that.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, well you never made that disclaimer in your predictions. While he isn’t my hero, he is my favorite player to watch. I certainly hope he would keep doing this until he was 50, but I think it will probably be only 2 more years,

Well, the way you act around the forum it’s almost as if he’s your boyfriend. :rose:Just to let you know what the general perception of you is. :good:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Well, the way you act around the forum it’s almost as if he’s your boyfriend. :rose:Just to let you know what the general perception of you is. :good:
There are only so many Djokovic fans around here. @nehmeth doesn't have to be a troll to support him.
Nor does @nehmeth act as if Novak is his boyfriend simply by championing him as his favorite player.

If anyone is acting as if a player is their boyfriend it’s you, with Rafa. Just to let you know what the general perception of you is. :good:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I went back and read the original post two from a year ago and laughed. Nole has proven himself once again. For all the talk months ago about Carlitos, Novak really laid the hammer down the last few months of the season. He is the favorite going into next year too. I think Carlos, Rune and Sinner have great upside and will provide great tennis for years to come, but Novak is still the man to beat after all these years.

Reactions: nehmeth

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is very similar to Star Wars Attack of the Clones

Novak is Count Dooku
Rafa is Yoda
Obi Wan and Anakin is Carlos and Sinner or Holger Rune..
Daniil Medvedev is Mace Windu

It's very Dark days in the Force

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran and shawnbm

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Objectively speaking based on looks the actors to play each of the Big 3 would be:

Federer - Mike Myers :yes:

Djokovic - Danny Devito :yes:

Nadal - Brad Pitt :rose: