How will Djokovic perform against the young generation in 2023?

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Uncle Toni "That is why I think that Nole should not be surprised that his clear third round victory over Grigor Dimitrov and his crushing round of 16 victory against Alex de Minaur, both based on the same quality as always in both court displacements and punching effectiveness, surprise and sow certain doubts about the extent of his injury.”

• Haha
Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Uncle Toni "That is why I think that Nole should not be surprised that his clear third round victory over Grigor Dimitrov and his crushing round of 16 victory against Alex de Minaur, both based on the same quality as always in both court displacements and punching effectiveness, surprise and sow certain doubts about the extent of his injury.”
Does anyone really listen to Mats Medicated Wilander? honestly, he changes his mind on players every minute...I suppose he gets big bucks from Eurosport he has to comment on everything in the ATP. Has he actually examined Novak's hamstring to begin with lol?
Anyway Mats is always good for a laugh.Mats also said after Rafa won his first match he could see him going all the way at the AO? I read my case on Mats LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Does anyone really listen to Mats Medicated Wilander? honestly, he changes his mind on players every minute...I suppose he gets big bucks from Eurosport he has to comment on everything in the ATP. Has he actually examined Novak's hamstring to begin with lol?
Anyway Mats is always good for a laugh.Mats also said after Rafa won his first match he could see him going all the way at the AO? I read my case on Mats LOL!
No it's just Eurosport "upset" Novax last week so now they are being nice to him after he went on a rant about injustice and being the villain.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I never said he did not have a hamstring strain, that was evident in Adelaide, Novak said himself if it did not improve he would withdrew from the final, seeing that the AO was 1 week away. It has improved during his matches at the AO, or he would not be moving like he has done. To me as I have said before if I was carrying a niggling injury into a tournament, I would not say so, because it can leave you wide open to people not believing you or question why is it suddenly disappeared, many people are questioning if Novak really had a hamstring injury at all? or was he faking it? I can see their point of view.Novak is still wearing his bandaged, for precautionary reasons at present.

Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why are we still talking about Djokovic's hamstring injury? Clearly, whatever was bothering him has been solved by hot stone massages, egg therapy, ice baths and modern medicine. Maybe it was never as bad as he thought. As I suggested earlier, maybe he's just hyper-sensitive to pain. He's surely hyper-sensitive to criticism.

As to the OP here, he only faced a few youngsters, but performed well against them. And, unless someone left in the draw grows 3 sizes larger than they are, he's going to win his 10th AO.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why are we still talking about Djokovic's hamstring injury? Clearly, whatever was bothering him has been solved by hot stone massages, egg therapy, ice baths and modern medicine. Maybe it was never as bad as he thought. As I suggested earlier, maybe he's just hyper-sensitive to pain. He's surely hyper-sensitive to criticism.

As to the OP here, he only faced a few youngsters, but performed well against them. And, unless someone left in the draw grows 3 sizes larger than they are, he's going to win his 10th AO.

He didn't face the youngsters like Alcaraz, Rune, FAA... So no he didn't perform well against them because he didn't meet them. Anyways all hopes rest now on Tsitsipas so hopefully he can deliver and save tennis humanity.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He didn't face the youngsters like Alcaraz, Rune, FAA... So no he didn't perform well against them because he didn't meet them. Anyways all hopes rest now on Tsitsipas so hopefully he can deliver and save tennis humanity.
I thought The Young Greek defeating KK saved tennis yesterday :)

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, the youngsters do not seem to be able to solve Novak. He really can only be "solved" by Nadal and then mostly on clay.

He didn't get to play the 3 main youngsters that I mentioned in this thread Alcaraz, Rune and FAA in this AO. He had a good draw full of players he is used to beating.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
He didn't get to play the 3 main youngsters that I mentioned in this thread Alcaraz, Rune and FAA in this AO. He had a good draw full of players he is used to beating.
He hasn't beaten a top player in his last 3 slam wins... Meanwhile Rafa has beat him twice and Medvedev :clap: Novax wins are atp 500 level :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic is:

0-1 vs Alcaraz
1-1 vs FAA
1-1 vs Rune

and he lost the last match against each...

These players can outhit him and outrun him...

I predict that he will have a losing record against all of them in 2023...

Will he able to avoid them at the AO?

Discuss... :popcorn

View attachment 7355

As expected Djokovic lost his next meeting vs Rune. I was right, he is helpless against the new breed. Has lost the last meetings to Alcaraz, Rune, FAA, Musetti... Losing lifetime record to Alcaraz and Rune... :popcorn

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As expected Djokovic lost his next meeting vs Rune. I was right, he is helpless against the new breed. Has lost the last meetings to Alcaraz, Rune, FAA, Musetti... Losing lifetime record to Alcaraz and Rune... :popcorn
A few years back, we did an analysis of the Big 3 vs. Next Gen. Rafa came out best, Roger just a little behind, both in the 90+ percentage, and Novak was in the high 70%. A fair drop down. I'd be interested if Novak is really faring that much worse against the Gen Z, and still the Next Gen, but that might have changed. And not sure why that should be. I still think Djokovic has the edge in the Bo5, but the youngsters seem to nip his heels more than at Rafa's, anyway. Could be opportunity. Point being: a lot of folks keep acting like Novak will live forever. Mr. Stretchy Vegan. But no body holds up forever, in sports, and the youngsters do seem to have a bit of Novak's number. Roger hit his sell-by date. Rafa's is approaching. And Novak's is probably closer than folks think. Time waits for no man.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA beat him at the Laver Cup, I dunno that’s a “wannabe” “fill Federer’s pockets” tourney in my eyes.

Now the next opponent I’m curious to see Djokovic play is Jannick Sinner, who had him on the ropes at Wimbledon last year and haven’t had a rematch since.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A few years back, we did an analysis of the Big 3 vs. Next Gen. Rafa came out best, Roger just a little behind, both in the 90+ percentage, and Novak was in the high 70%. A fair drop down. I'd be interested if Novak is really faring that much worse against the Gen Z, and still the Next Gen, but that might have changed. And not sure why that should be. I still think Djokovic has the edge in the Bo5, but the youngsters seem to nip his heels more than at Rafa's, anyway. Could be opportunity. Point being: a lot of folks keep acting like Novak will live forever. Mr. Stretchy Vegan. But no body holds up forever, in sports, and the youngsters do seem to have a bit of Novak's number. Roger hit his sell-by date. Rafa's is approaching. And Novak's is probably closer than folks think. Time waits for no man.
I remember that analysis. Novak was pretty bad at that time against Tsitsipas/Khachanov/Medvedev, not sure if it was Zverev in the mix. After that he improved against all of the mentioned ones, but new guys are now around Alcaraz/Rune/Sinner. Still it's the bo3 where he is definitely more vulnerable and he also seems to care less. Slams are top of his priority right now and the new formed trio + Medvedev are the ones he should worry about.

I can see him lose to one or two of those 4 guys on one or two of the next 3 slams, gap is too small for it not to happen. Knowing that, I just hope Novak can win Wimbledon again this year, but it will be also more difficult than the last 2 he won.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I remember that analysis. Novak was pretty bad at that time against Tsitsipas/Khachanov/Medvedev, not sure if it was Zverev in the mix. After that he improved against all of the mentioned ones, but new guys are now around Alcaraz/Rune/Sinner. Still it's the bo3 where he is definitely more vulnerable and he also seems to care less. Slams are top of his priority right now and the new formed trio + Medvedev are the ones he should worry about.

I can see him lose to one or two of those 4 guys on one or two of the next 3 slams, gap is too small for it not to happen. Knowing that, I just hope Novak can win Wimbledon again this year, but it will be also more difficult than the last 2 he won.
Stefano Tsitsipas is 0-3 with Novak in BO5 Slams, and Zverev is also 0-3. That’s 0-6 for the Crown Princes. They have never beaten him in a Major, and yet those arrogant jerks consider themselves top shelf elite. Medvedev is 1-2 having bested Novak at the USO.

In all fairness, Novak is understandably probably losing half a step so the new guys have a better shot, but until someone wrests the crown from him on Wimbledon grass this year, his aura is intact.

Sinner had a shot last year but faltered, so the jury is still out if the young’uns can do it. They need to it this year (beat him in a Major) if not, where is the glory in besting a 37 year old aging champ in 2024?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Stefano Tsitsipas is 0-3 with Novak in BO5 Slams, and Zverev is also 0-3. That’s 0-6 for the Crown Princes. They have never beaten him in a Major, and yet those arrogant jerks consider themselves top shelf elite. Medvedev is 1-2 having bested Novak at the USO.

In all fairness, Novak is understandably probably losing half a step so the new guys have a better shot, but until someone wrests the crown from him on Wimbledon grass this year, his aura is intact.

Sinner had a shot last year but faltered, so the jury is still out if the young’uns can do it. They need to it this year (beat him in a Major) if not, where is the glory in besting a 37 year old aging champ in 2024?
The Djokovic fans worldwide and here took a lot of glory when he barely beat nearly 38 year old Federer at Wimbledon 2019!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I hear what you're saying, about the notion that if you don't beat him now, it becomes less and less impressive. (See @Front242 and @Kieran's points, above.) @El Dude said something recently about Alcaraz, saying that he should beat Rafa at RG and Novak at either W or AO, to solidify his legacy.

The Big 2-3 have gone run through 2 generations....Lost Gen, Next Gen, and the big 2 are on their third: Gen Z (Not sure Roger played any Gen Z?) I agree that Bo5 is where the men get separated from the boys, but time does run out, and some of these really young guys are very good, and improving fast. However, I do wonder if it matters if they can cap the Big Gun(s?) at the Majors. Are they too generationally distant for it to matter? We still make a fetish for the Big 3, but the guys we're looking at as the future are 16-22 years younger.