1 - OKC
2 - San Antonio
3 - Denver
4 - LAC
5 - Memphis
6 - Golden State
7 - LAL
8 - Houston

The 1st round schedule as stated on NBA.com. All times are Eastern.

Sat Apr 20
Boston @ NY (NY leads series 3-1) - 3PM
Golden State @ Denver (Denver leads series 3-1) - 5:30PM
Chicago @ Brooklyn (Chicago leads series 3-1) - 8PM
Memphis @ LAC (LAC leads series 3-1) - 10:30PM

Sun Apr 21
Atlanta @ Indy (Series tied 2-2) - 1PM
LAL @ San Antonio (Spurs lead series 2-1) - 3:30PM
Milwaukee @ Miami (MIA leads season series 3-1) - 7PM
Houston @ OKC (OKC leads season series 2-1) - 9:30PM

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
RE: 2013 NBA Playoffs

Can we go ahead and have the finals?
OKC vs. Miami
And this time OKC wins it.
Nah, heat to repeat!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Thinking the same way as Kiu. It's a mega upset for any team in the East to beat the Heat and a lesser but still huge upset for any team in the West to beat OKC.

That said there are a bunch of interesting matchups in the 1st round and potential 2nd round matchups aside from those that involve the Heat and Thunder. My bold prediction of the 1st round is that one of the 7 seeds will win, Boston or LA. Leaning towards LA due to the injuries/age of San Antonio. It's looking like 2 years ago where they limped in the playoffs vs. a hot Memphis team and lost pretty easily.

I like Chicago over Brooklyn even with the Bulls' injuries. I want the Clippers to do well and they do have HCA vs. Memphis but that should be another wild series like last year.

In the end I definitely expect Miami vs. Thunder and Miami probably wins it again though I'd like to see OKC get it and possibly setup a James-Durant rivalry for many years to come. But Lebron just seems too damn good at this point.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

The major problem for OKC isn't just that Lebron is too good. There are match up issues w/ the Heatles and not having Harden could be the wildcard factor.

I agree Bulls will make it to the 2nd round to face the Lebrons. They'll put up a good fight and win a game, maybe 2, but the Heat will move on to the ECF. I expect the Knicks to make it to the ECF to play the Heat.

As much as I like the Spurs, I don't see it happening for them this year. They will be out in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't see anyone beating OKC in WCF.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

kskate2 said:
The major problem for OKC isn't just that Lebron is too good. There are match up issues w/ the Heatles and not having Harden could be the wildcard factor.

I agree Bulls will make it to the 2nd round to face the Lebrons. They'll put up a good fight and win a game, maybe 2, but the Heat will move on to the ECF. I expect the Knicks to make it to the ECF to play the Heat.

As much as I like the Spurs, I don't see it happening for them this year. They will be out in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't see anyone beating OKC in WCF.

I still think OKC has some good matchup advantages over the Heat mainly down low. They have the ability to control the boards and also cause Lebron and Wade at least a little trouble inside with Ibaka. They just didn't show up strong last year and Lebron dominated. Now with Wade likely a lot better than he was at the end of last year it will take an even greater effort for them to win.

Ultimately if OKC is to beat the Heat I think Westbrook would have to be huge in that series. Durant will be Durant and Lebron will be Lebron. Westbrook is the wild card.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

OKC and Miami were the most impressive for me this, opening weekend of the playoffs. I am happy for the Clippers and might cheer for them more than some other teams.

So bad and so sorry for Kobe, what a terrible injury; to a competitive guy like him it must feel terrible.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

That win by the Heat last night was so routine and carefree it has to be menacing to the Bucks--and others. LeBron was ho-hum a lot of the night and came within two assists of anther triple double. Bosch did what he needed to do, as did Ray Allen. Miami is starting off right.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Over the weekend, all the home teams won in Game 1. Let's see if the road teams can steal one in Game 2.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

How about this triple OT game today between Chicago and Brooklyn.:exclamation:
It was tiring to watch and it was also a nail in the coffin of the Nets' hopes of advancing.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Yeah, that thriller was crazy. It took up my entire Sat afternoon. Anyway, I think the Nets will put up some resistance at home. They will probably even win that game as I'm sure the Bulls will be exhausted on Mon.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

It's looking like the LA-Memphis and Denver-Golden State are going to end up being the only 2 interesting series in the 1st round. I can't see Atlanta having much of a chance to steal one in Indiana and I think they will drop either game 4 or game 6 at home.

My potential upset picks of LA over SA and/or Boston over New York are not looking so good right now. :s I will be attending the last Bucks game of the season today. At least I get to see one good team:mad:

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

Have fun at the game today, Darth.

LAL without Kobe, no chance in hell.

Grizzlies vs Clippers is a very exciting series.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Billie said:

Grizzlies and Clippers are looking a lot like last year when it went 7. Grizzlies have the better all around team but the Clippers have Chris Paul and home court advantage. The pivotal game 5 should decide the series (though it didn't last year, Grizz won game 5 on the road and Clippers won 6 and 7).

The Lakers just had good momentum and I thought the Spurs were looking burned out at the end of the year. The Spurs had a lot to play for the last 2-3 weeks and they were losing left and right. I guess I read too much into that as the Spurs seem to have found themselves. I do think they will have a tough series against either the Nuggets or Warriors but you'd have to favor them. It's just shocking how well Duncan continues to play. Also, with Westbrook out until at least the NBA finals I think the Spurs would have a darn good chance of beating the Thunder in the WCF.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

I think Westbrook is done for this year. I don't see OKC beating Spurs or Clippers w/o him.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

Miami sweeps Milwaukee but New York fails to do that to Boston.
New York may be able to compete against the heat. The Knicks have a good team.

OKC losing Westbrook would be really tough!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Kiu said:
Miami sweeps Milwaukee but New York fails to do that to Boston.
New York may be able to compete against the heat. The Knicks have a good team.

OKC losing Westbrook would be really tough!

I haven't bought much into the Knicks all year but they continue to do well. I don't think they have much of a prayer vs. Miami but as I just mentioned I've been underestimating them this year.

The recipe to beat Miami is either having an elite defense or 2-3 superstars all having a great series. I think Chicago and Indy would provide a tougher test due to having great defense. New York vs. Miami is at best going to come down to Carmelo vs. Lebron and at worse it could get ugly if Bosh and Wade step up. Out West the Thunder with Durant and Westbrook is obviously a big threat to Miami but without Westbrook I wouldn't give them much hope and now they might not even make it to the finals.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

Oh my, the Lakers are getting their ass kicked in their own arena by an OLD Texas team!

All those stars they bought last year didn't help them a bit without Kobe.

LA is about to be kicked out of playoffs.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Billie said:

Grizzlies and Clippers are looking a lot like last year when it went 7. Grizzlies have the better all around team but the Clippers have Chris Paul and home court advantage. The pivotal game 5 should decide the series (though it didn't last year, Grizz won game 5 on the road and Clippers won 6 and 7).

The Lakers just had good momentum and I thought the Spurs were looking burned out at the end of the year. The Spurs had a lot to play for the last 2-3 weeks and they were losing left and right. I guess I read too much into that as the Spurs seem to have found themselves. I do think they will have a tough series against either the Nuggets or Warriors but you'd have to favor them. It's just shocking how well Duncan continues to play. Also, with Westbrook out until at least the NBA finals I think the Spurs would have a darn good chance of beating the Thunder in the WCF.

Golden State will easily take care of San Antonio, and OKC without Westbrook has ZERO chance of getting past the second round.

The WCF will be Golden State versus whoever comes out of the Memphis/LAC series. The Spurs simply don't have the talent or athleticism to defeat Golden State with how Curry is playing, and OKC is done now. They need Westbrook's playmaking to beat teams as athletic and big as the Clippers and Grizzlies.

DarthFed said:
I haven't bought much into the Knicks all year but they continue to do well.

Yes, because of JR Smith, the 6th Man of the Year. He was finally given star-like minutes throughout the year and he delivered.

DarthFed said:
I don't think they have much of a prayer vs. Miami but as I just mentioned I've been underestimating them this year.

With the terrific addition of Kenyon Martin, as well as Melo and JR playing to their potential and Jason Kidd making smart plays, they have an EXCELLENT chance of beating Miami. New York certainly has more inside and they can have just as much scoring pop. The big question is just how dominant LeBron will be, because he will have to be at the absolute top of his game to ensure a series win.

DarthFed said:
The recipe to beat Miami is either having an elite defense or 2-3 superstars all having a great series.

No, so-called "elite defense" is not the recipe. What is most important is having offensive firepower. With Melo, the great JR Smith, and NY's array of three-point shooters, they have the firepower to stack up with Miami.

The first key ingredient for playing with Miami is being able to score. The second is physicality, particularly inside. With Chandler and especially Kenyon Martin, the Knicks have more than enough of that.

DarthFed said:
I think Chicago and Indy would provide a tougher test due to having great defense.

:):):):):):):):):

You have to be kidding me. Way to choose the two most boring teams possible as candidates to de-throne the Heat. Both teams are offensively inept, especially Chicago without Rose.

Chicago has already their chance at Miami when they were better than they are now. That was two years ago WITH Rose. But they were so offensively inept that they couldn't even get the series beyond 5 games.

DarthFed said:
New York vs. Miami is at best going to come down to Carmelo vs. Lebron and at worse it could get ugly if Bosh and Wade step up.

Exactly. :) All that matters are officially designated star players. Never mind that Bosh will have very difficult match-ups in Chandler and especially Martin. Never mind that JR Smith is the most explosive scorer in the NBA.

DarthFed said:
Out West the Thunder with Durant and Westbrook is obviously a big threat to Miami but without Westbrook I wouldn't give them much hope and now they might not even make it to the finals.

You're right about that. The Thunder are now dead as a doornail having lost one-half of their two-man team.