He who takes the title takes the crown ... ?

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
What is the significance of Sunday's title match for the ever-popular "GOAT" debate?

I guess it would be too strong to say that whoever wins the match should be considered the greatest - Nadal will still be two slams behind Fed. But with him in this form and RG coming up, things could become very interesting in the matter of #GS won ...

On the other hand, if Roger can pull off a win, it ought to essentially cement his status as GOAT. It seems unlikely that Rafa could win another 4 GS titles to at least tie the record then, and a win against his younger rival at this stage in Roger's career would also go some way to negate the head-to-head considerations. IIRC, they are currently 2-2 in non-clay GS finals, and 10-9 to Nadal in matches outside of clay.

What do you all think?

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Pretty much this. If Roger can win, who knows what might also happen in Wimbo/USO. Scary what he has the potential to do at his age.
However, if Rafa wins, RG is on the cards as well for him. Very exciting times are ahead, I feel like it's 2008 again.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No. Just, no ;). This match will not determine the GOAT. There are just too many other factors.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
All the match will mean for Rafa if he wins is #15 and a double career slam..nothing more..IMO..however this is your thread and I won't post anything to contradict your hypothesis

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
All the match will mean for Rafa if he wins is #15 and a double career slam..nothing more..IMO..however this is your thread and I won't post anything to contradict your hypothesis

I agree with you - just thought it made for a catchy title. :p

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Rationally I agree with El Dude, but if Federer wins it will be hard to think otherwise.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
"Non-clay GS head to head with Nadal"

That is a very important statistic for Federer's case in the GOAT debate also for even saying that he has had a good rivalry with Nadal. If Federer can prove at this stage that he still can beat Nadal at a slam even if only outside clay it will be amazing. It will be after 9 years and a half. It will have a big significance to their rivalry at this stage because it will finally suggest that Federer is no slouch against Nadal.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
An excerpt from one of the articles, I thought its pretty big:

"But both men have disproved the notion the combination of ageing bodies and physical problems would prevent them from challenging again for major honours."

LegendsofSport

Reactions
I think it will be a huge factor in determining the GOAT. If Fed gets 18 and beats Nadal, he is definitely the GOAT. But if Nadal wins and goes to 15 and 10-2 over Fed in GS tennis, then the argument for Nadal is huge. I think the match is possibly the biggest in tennis history! What players!

More on the history between the two at my youtube site Legends of Sport!

Dan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal could win 20 and I still wouldn't consider him the GOAT.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
No. Just, no ;). This match will not determine the GOAT. There are just too many other factors.

I hope Nole and Murray won't lose early during the whole season....that's one factor which explain this AO's final, when N°1 and N°2 are in top form, no Manacor"s bull, no Mr Vavrinec has a chance (see 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Istomin and Zverev aren't responsable of this mess, Nole and Andy are
injuries are a factor too; it's only the beginning of the season, nobody knows who''l be injured and when. Manacor's bull hasn't played Masters for ages because of injuries
another factor is Delpo : when'll he be back and will he be able to have good results ? if so he could make some waves in GS, hope so I like him and I miss him