Greatest Running back in NFL history?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Barry Sanders but I'm a bit biased on this one and I also didn't get to see Jim Brown or Walter Payton. Sanders was an absolute freak of nature, and still the most entertaining player I've seen in the NFL. It also needs to be mentioned he did all that on the freakin Lions!!

Barry was probably the best runner ever between the tackles but Walter and Brown did so much more. I didn't see Jim Brown either but from what I have seen via films and all have said when God decided to make a half back, he started with Jim Brown.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
Barry Sanders but I'm a bit biased on this one and I also didn't get to see Jim Brown or Walter Payton. Sanders was an absolute freak of nature, and still the most entertaining player I've seen in the NFL. It also needs to be mentioned he did all that on the freakin Lions!!

Barry was probably the best runner ever between the tackles but Walter and Brown did so much more. I didn't see Jim Brown either but from what I have seen via films and all have said when God decided to make a half back, he started with Jim Brown.

Again remember the team, that was Scott Mitchell at QB and a very mediocre offensive line. He didn't have the power that Brown and Payton had but the speed and out of this world balance/cut back ability more than made up for it. He retired too early, probably just out of the frustration that he was on a team that would never compete for a championship.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
No one voting for OJ, who was #2 when he finished.

I mentioned the Juice in my post. He was a helluva RB

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
On a sidenote, with so many members here talking about the NFL and showing interest in American Football in general across many threads, how about creating a Tennis Frontier Yahoo Fantasy Football League? Anyone interested? I've been playing fantasy football for years and I guess some of you have as well, it's a lot of fun and it gets more interesting when you have your own horses in the race to follow week in week out. The only concern might be to find the perfect date for our own draft day as we all need to draft at the same time. The new season starts in 4 weeks, so plenty of time left.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Didi I tried doing something similar last year, not really creating a league but doing a pick'em every week and talking about our fantasy football teams. I'd be interested in doing that again but not an actual league as I'm already in 2, including a dynasty league.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
GameSetAndMath said:

He was a beast, it's easy to forget. It seems crazy that he is 67 now and looking like hell but 5 years of jail probably ages you quick.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/31/oj-simpson-parole/2603497/

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
shawnbm said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Today's running backs don't even compare to the awesome power and running ability of Jim Brown! He was the offense of the Browns with everyone knowing where the ball was going! He still ran over the defense getting 200+ yards almost every game! That was why he held the record for so many years with only 9 years in the league! Eric Dickerson would have been the best if his ego wasn't so big which insighted defenses to put a hurting on him! Sanders isn't even in my top 10! The little dude had to be taken off the field inside his own 20 and inside the opposition's 20 due to his losing of yards most of those times! OJ is right in there along with a more current guy who's very underrated, Terrell Davis who single-handed gave Elway his first Super Bowl win! If not for migranes, he'd still be running!

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
guys lets not forget this man:

Brown was taken in the first round of the 1956 draft by the Cleveland Browns.[9] He departed as the NFL record holder for both single-season (1,863 in 1963) and career rushing (12,312 yards), as well as the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns (106), total touchdowns (126), and all-purpose yards (15,549). He was the first player ever to reach the 100-rushing-touchdowns milestone, and only a few others have done so since, despite the league's expansion to a 16-game season in 1978 (Brown's first four seasons were only 12 games, and his last five were 14 games). Brown's record of scoring 100 touchdowns in only 93 games stood until LaDainian Tomlinson did it in 89 games during the 2006 season. Brown holds the record for total seasons leading the NFL in all-purpose yards (5: 1958–1961, 1964), and is the only rusher in NFL history to average over 100 yards per game for a career. Brown was also a superb receiver out of the backfield, catching 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns. Every season he played, Brown was voted into the Pro Bowl, and he left the league in style by scoring three touchdowns in his final Pro Bowl game. Perhaps the most amazing feat is that Jim Brown accomplished these records despite never playing past 29 years of age. Brown's 6 games with at least 4 touchdowns remains an NFL record. LaDainian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk both have five games with 4 touchdowns.

Brown led the league in rushing a record eight times.

Amazing Runner. Just think of the stats he would have had had

he played longer. The way I heard it was that he wanted to make

a movie and some airhead in management ( Art Modell ) didn't want

to let him report a little late to training camp so he could finish it

.....so he retired.

For me Jim Brown is the No 1 ....Gale Sayers No 2 ...& The Juice 3

I know Sayers only played 6 seasons so some don't think he could

be the best, but I saw The Kansas Comet score 6 TDs in one game

.....in the mud.

In his rookie season he averaged 189 yds and 2 TDs per game.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RJD11 said:
Clay Death said:
guys lets not forget this man:

Brown was taken in the first round of the 1956 draft by the Cleveland Browns.[9] He departed as the NFL record holder for both single-season (1,863 in 1963) and career rushing (12,312 yards), as well as the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns (106), total touchdowns (126), and all-purpose yards (15,549). He was the first player ever to reach the 100-rushing-touchdowns milestone, and only a few others have done so since, despite the league's expansion to a 16-game season in 1978 (Brown's first four seasons were only 12 games, and his last five were 14 games). Brown's record of scoring 100 touchdowns in only 93 games stood until LaDainian Tomlinson did it in 89 games during the 2006 season. Brown holds the record for total seasons leading the NFL in all-purpose yards (5: 1958–1961, 1964), and is the only rusher in NFL history to average over 100 yards per game for a career. Brown was also a superb receiver out of the backfield, catching 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns. Every season he played, Brown was voted into the Pro Bowl, and he left the league in style by scoring three touchdowns in his final Pro Bowl game. Perhaps the most amazing feat is that Jim Brown accomplished these records despite never playing past 29 years of age. Brown's 6 games with at least 4 touchdowns remains an NFL record. LaDainian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk both have five games with 4 touchdowns.

Brown led the league in rushing a record eight times.

Amazing Runner. Just think of the stats he would have had had

he played longer. The way I heard it was that he wanted to make

a movie and some airhead in management ( Art Modell ) didn't want

to let him report a little late to training camp so he could finish it

.....so he retired.

For me Jim Brown is the No 1 ....Gale Sayers No 2 ...& The Juice 3

I know Sayers only played 6 seasons so some don't think he could

be the best, but I saw The Kansas Comet score 6 TDs in one game

.....in the mud.

In his rookie season he averaged 189 yds and 2 TDs per game.

I'm no Elway or Denver fan, but Terrell Davis had to be the most complete and powerful runner at the time! If not for migraines, he might have shattered a lot of records, but retired after winning SB for Elway and Shanahan! He was the "real man" on that team! Elway had been floundering for years waiting for a decent running game! That was Karma as far as I was concerned with him causing chaos by refusing to play for the Colts when drafted in '83! Just shows a player like Dan Elway and now Eli Manning can get away with extortion and still own 2 SB rings!

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
And no one ever mentions a running back who was my favorite

during his time. That's Lenny Moore of the Colts. He led the

league in rushing the year he retired.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RJD11 said:

Ya got to speak up for them babe! lol! :p Growing up in Chicago, I'm being truly magnanimous going with Jim Brown over Walter Payton, even though I wasn't even watching football back then! I'm partial to Thurman Thomas really enjoying his time with the Buffalo Bills!

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:

Ya got to speak up for them babe! lol! :p Growing up in Chicago, I'm being truly magnanimous going with Jim Brown over Walter Payton, even though I wasn't even watching football back then! I'm partial to Thurman Thomas really enjoying his time with the Buffalo Bills!

lol ...I really used to enjoy " Sweetness "

Really tragic what happened to him.

Was he unable to find a donor in time?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RJD11 said:
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:

I moved to California in '90 for 12 years and almost never saw a game of theirs; out of sight, our of mind! I heard he was ill, but I figured with his celebrity he'd be ok! Didn't happen! I really like Mr. Rodgers and even though he's playing with GB, I root for him most of the time! He's the man really! I think it's more to do with my animus of Favre! I heard they've forgotten all about the old man with none of his jerseys being worn at games! He's truly the biggest d-bag ever on the gridiron!

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
Although Brown was before my time, he just appeared to be a man among boys and who knows what he would've accomplished without the lure of the silver screen.

Sanders was the most jaw-dropping back I've seen.

Hate to admit it, but think OJ deserves to be in the conversation as well. Great combo of speed, agility and size.

Speaking of speed and power Bo and Herschel(too bad he spent his most productive years in the USFL) come to mind. SEC baby!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:

it was too late for Sweetness.. the cancer had spread to his other organs..