GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think Dennis Lillie's pace comes close to that of anyone from
the Gang of Marshal, Roberts, Holder.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I personally think that the west Indian bowlers were much faster than Lillie as well

To me the most dangerous bowler was Waqar Younis

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It should never just about speed though when determining fast bowlers otherwise you'd probably go with Malcolm Marshall and Jeff Thomson at their peaks.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
remember Patrick Patterson of w-indies against England in 1986..graham gooch said he was actually scared when he was facing him.

I remember his test debut on midweek sports special or sportsnight highlights (5-37 I think) Patterson was nasty..looked like ben Johnson from what I remember and similar build.

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
remember Patrick Patterson of w-indies against England in 1986..graham gooch said he was actually scared when he was facing him.

I remember his test debut on midweek sports special or sportsnight highlights (5-37 I think) Patterson was nasty..looked like ben Johnson from what I remember and similar build.

ha yeh.. he was just plain menacing. Another "h'ignorant Jamaican" was Roy Gilchrist. I remember an Empire groundsman describing Gilchrist's first spell at Kensington. He said "when the batsman was going through the motions of his stroke, the ball had already hit the sight screen and rebounded into play" :D

Outside of the "Fast and Furious" (the West Indies fast bowlers), Thommo bowled one of the fastest spells I ever saw at Kensington Oval - took 5 of the best out that evening IIRC. If Lillee had been at the other end, we'd have been skittled out in that one session, I swear. That was just around the Packer separation, so Lillee wasn't in the team.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
shane bond was super quick..sadly couldn't stay fit for long. so fast his body couldn't keep up.

another injury riddled quickie, mr 100mph of Pakistan..shoaib ahktar, the fastest fringe in the east.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
bajana said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

ha yeh.. he was just plain menacing. Another "h'ignorant Jamaican" was Roy Gilchrist. I remember an Empire groundsman describing Gilchrist's first spell at Kensington. He said "when the batsman was going through the motions of his stroke, the ball had already hit the sight screen and rebounded into play" :D

Outside of the "Fast and Furious" (the West Indies fast bowlers), Thommo bowled one of the fastest spells I ever saw at Kensington Oval - took 5 of the best out that evening IIRC. If Lillee had been at the other end, we'd have been skittled out in that one session, I swear. That was just around the Packer separation, so Lillee wasn't in the team.

Hey bajana... If you had to pick - who's your #1 West Indian fast bowler of all time?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Michael Holding for me. Although some spells by Curtley Ambrose were a bit nasty as well, and you can never not talk about Malcolm Marshall.

What I find really amazing though is that fact that Viv Richards would walk out and bat without a helmet in an era when fast bowlers were common place. Don't care what anyone says, Sir Viv is the one cricketer I would have stopped and watched. Not been another like him since... the presence of the man.. brooding hostility

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
curtley ambrose and Malcolm marshall..yikes.

big curtley with pinpoint accuracy and steepling bounce..marshall also had pinpoint accuracy but late swing into/away from the bamboozled batsmen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Other Sports 407