Garbine Muguruza's Wimbledon Victory Overview

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

Garbine Muguruza won the 2017 Wimbledon Women’s Singles after defeating legendary Venus Williams in a shockingly one-sided victory, which ended 7-5, 6-0 in a short and stunning two-set match.

2016 French Open champion Muguruza lost the 2015 Wimbledon finals to Venus’ sister Serena Williams, so this year marked her chance to get back on the grass and show the world what she was capable of. Muguruza did just that, with an almost flawless Wimbledon run that saw her drop only a single set (to Kerber) throughout the competition.

The first set was a fiercely contested battle, with the 37 year old Venus and 23 year old Muguruza fighting long and hard in rallies that looked like they would never stop, including a 19-shot rally in which Muguruza eventually emerged with the point.

It was Venus who led for much of the first set, but Muguruza held firm and finished with a perfect lob to gain two set points. If the second set was to live up to the first, we were in for a treat!

Yet the second set was a disappointment. Having been bested in the first, and catching sight of the true strength and ability of her opponent, it seemed that Venus simply lost her will to win. Perhaps the pressure related to the recent fatal Palm Beach car crash got to her, or symptoms of the Sjogren’s Syndrome that began to haunt her six years ago resurfaced, but Venus just did not seem true to form. Perhaps age is finally catching up with the ultra-fit American future Hall of Famer.

Venus’ serve slowed to as little as 89 mph at times, and mistakes started to seep into her game. Muguruza capitalized and held her pace to stun the crowd with a quick 6-0 victory. Muguruza won the final against Venus Williams in just 1 hour 17 minutes.

There is no denying that Venus Williams’ personal circumstances could be affecting her form, but Gabrine deserves credit where credit is due. She played an expertly-paced game against Williams, she overcame adversity in the first set (down set point), and her earlier performances were nothing short of overwhelming at times.

Muguruza defeated first round opponent Alexandrova 6-2, 6-4 and followed up against Wickmayer in the second round with the same scores. She slaughtered third round Sorana Cirstea with a 6-2, 6-2 win, before treating us to one of the best games of the competition against Angelique Kerber in the Round of 16.

Kerber was the Number 1 Seed and this one was never going to be easy. In fact, it could have gone either way at any time. Muguruza came out with an aggressive offensive game, but Kerber neatly counter-attacked, leading to a steady back-and-forth that continued for a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes. After losing the first set, Muguruza turned up the heat and took the final two sets for a final score of 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. It was a sensational, career-changing type of win.

The quarter and semi-final stages didn’t pose too much of a threat for Muguruza. It’s fair to say that with her victory over the world number one, the worst was over for her. All she had to do was hold strong through the finals. Muguruza achieved this by crushing 7th Seed Kuznetsova and then cruising through Rybarikova with a 6-1, 6-1 win. Beautiful.

At only 23 years old, and having just claimed her second Grand Slam title with her Wimbledon Women’s Singles victory, Muguruza is definitely one to watch in the future. She has shown the potential to be a dominant World No. 1 caliber player if she can maintain her Wimbledon form.

Meanwhile, Roger Federer won the Men’s Singles title in an iconic victory that marked his 19th Grand Slam win. He is now the favorite to win the US Open with 23/10 odds on BetStars.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Mugu is halfway to a career slam, she is only 23
Will anyone be surprised if she gets it?
More French open titles are in the future too.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Wayn; She is ready to dominate. She is big strong and very comfortable in the spotlight. I get the sense she wants it. Took a few years to feel out the tour and how it all works but it's her time now. She has the capacity to overthrow Serena. Conchita must stay on board, it appears Conchita is the better fit for her. Sam Sumyk is probably qualified too but if a choice had to be made I think it's a no brainer to go with Conchita as the main coach. Sumyk seems better suited for a younger player or a mid range ranking player. I really don't know much about his credentials other than that time Muguruza insulted him on court when she said, "Tell me something I don't know." She made it seem like he is one of those broken record type coaches.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Andrew; all merry go rounds eventually have to stop to re-board. or they break down. Muguruza at Wimbledon might have been the stop. And the merry go round might have a blown gasket or cracked cylinder. Repairman on vacation for the month too. :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Venus landed her best shots in the first set but it was not enough. She still lost. Key first set. Muguruza's play psyched out Venus and broke her will. That is not easy to do. That's how well Muguruthless was playing.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Andrew; Pepe Imaz could be the worst coach in ATP history. He has wimpified the best player in the world.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Ostapenko is a front runner. Keys is a floater at this point. Pliskova does not seem to have that burning obsession to win a major. Kvitova can always awaken. Halep is knocking on the door. Konta is at the door. Mladenovic and Garcia could pull a Puig. Come to think of it, a lot of players can go Puig mode.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Excellent win by Rublev. Did not see this coming a year ago he was in the doldrums. Rublev winning should spark a lot of players like Mmoh, Kozlov, etc who were peers of Rublev in juniors.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Isner first title in two years. Let's see if it leads to more.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; I think Ostapenko is hungry for more. A lot more. Halep is starving for one.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; Tomic trarning now in Miami/Key Biscayne. One of my friends has been hitting with him, posted pic on IG. At least he is working at his job.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Bencic was struggling even before the injuries. beating Serena was almost like a curse, she went down after that. Never really blossomed after that win like we all expected. I'd have to rate Bencic now as a question mark. The game is passing her by. A lot pf players are passing her. She is young but is close to getting tagged with that 'faded star' label.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; Ostapenko is not even close to being a finished product. She will only get better with more experience and winning.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Ostapenko had the misfortune of running into a red hot in form Venus Williams. No shame in that loss.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Roddick said in Newport the biggest upset he ever saw was in Orange Bowl when David Martin was upset by Roger Federer. Wonder if David Martin won that match, if he would have become as big as Roger has? :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Fritz beating Elder Zverev in 2016 Aus Open qualies third round from 0-4 down in the third set by winning six straight games and then taking Sock to five sets in the 1R surely sent shockwaves through US Tennis. Incredible effort by Fritz then he followed it up in Memphis by finaling. General Fritz sparked a revolution.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Tomic is still a kid and now he finally has freedom. he probably was a tennis slave for his whole childhood and now he's free. The chains that bind are off. He's not breaking the law or hurting anyone. He's just a kid having fun and enjoying life, the life he worked very hard for. Not everyone is driven to be the next Federer or Nadal. Those are one in a billions. Tomic has accepted he's not going to be the best and he's come to terms with it. At first I thought he was shaming tennis but I changed my mind. He's just doing it his way and we have to accept it, accept Tomic for who he is. I have new appreciation for Tomic. he is a very unique player and also free thinker.