2020 Australian Open Final: Sofia Kenin vs. Garbine Muguruza

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fun fact on Saturday Muguruza will aim to become the first unseeded women's AO Champion since Serena Williams in 2007.

Murguruza has become the first Spainard in the AO final since Conchita Martinez made the AO final in 1998.( Martinez is now coacing Murguruza again)

Murgurza lost her only prior meeting with Kenin,which came in Beijing last year.

Kenin at just 21 years of age has made her first GS final defeating the No1 Ash Barty in straight sets in the s/final.
Kenin was also named The WTA Most Improved Player Of The Year in 2019.Kenin has 3 WTA singles and 2 doubles titles,all of which came in 2019.

Sofia Kenin is guaranteed to make her Top 10 ranking.Kenin will rise to world No9 with a loss and world No7 with a win,displacing Petra Kvitova from the Top 10.

Garbine Muguruza will return to the Top20 for the first time since last May,landing at world No16 with a loss and world No12 with a win.The latter would be her highest ranking since August 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Garbiñe in 2. So happy to see her back to playing well.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Whoever correctly predicted this final deserves a million bucks at least. :astonished-face:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know who wins. But, I will be rooting for Kenin.

PSA: Those in USA who don't have a dog in this fight, might want to sleep peacefully (which is what I will be doing). ESPN2 shows encore coverage of the full match starting at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday and so you don't even have to bother to record it.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nothing personal against Muguruza but she truly is the girl with the curl, very good or horrid. Nothing in between.

If she wins she’ll go into a mental tailspin and flounder for 20 months and then reemerge to-win her 4th Major.

Kenin in 3.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I mentioned in the first week that I would like to see Kenin win AO and now she is in the final. I had her reaching QF in the draw challenge. Should have trusted her more, but it's hard with women, you never know what game they are going to play on a given day.

So for me Kenin is not so much of a suprise finalist compared to Muguruza who probably no one on earth saw her in this final.

Kenin in 3.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Both semi's had 7-6,7-5, scoreline. Both were topsy-turvy but highly competitive SF's i thought. Has there been another two SF's in any of the Grand Slams with identical score like this ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Am cheering for Sofia, not quite sure why as i never heard or seen of her prior to this championship. Good to see a first time winner prevail.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Both semi's had 7-6,7-5, scoreline. Both were topsy-turvy but highly competitive SF's i thought. Has there been another two SF's in any of the Grand Slams with identical score like this ?

I would have to go back in the WTA archives to see if there was an identical score.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ks kate and Mox, are you gonna be watching this final? Won't be long now, LOL !