Game of Thrones (TV Show)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The episode aired two days ago, so I think it’s OK to discuss, but for those who want to avoid spoilers for episode 5, don’t read anymore.

I take it you mean Jaime & Cersei? If that really was their end, I’m annoyed too. After eight seasons of buildup, it would be silly for some metaphorical death: “... and their kingdom fell down upon them.”

I have a feeling they’re going to survive that, and we’ll see them in the finale. After all, Jaime was stabbed multiple times, yet managed to walk all the way to Cersei, then go back down below with her, prepared to make their escape. It would be cruel for the producers to deny us seeing Cersei’s execution — or survival, sitting on the Iron Throne.
No actually I didn't give a hoot about that. To me that sort of death (if indeed it was) was pure GoT deny fans the obvious conclusion. No.. my big issue... massive issue was Danerys going pyscho. She became paranoid and suddenly there's this narrative that she's hated and feared? Before she was a strong, sometimes ruthless but courageous ruler. All of a sudden she goes full psycho? Nah... bruv. That didn't make sense to me. I have a huge problem with how that all played out.

I loved the battle between the Clegane brothers though. That was superb.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
No actually I didn't give a hoot about that. To me that sort of death (if indeed it was) was pure GoT deny fans the obvious conclusion. No.. my big issue... massive issue was Danerys going pyscho. She became paranoid and suddenly there's this narrative that she's hated and feared? Before she was a strong, sometimes ruthless but courageous ruler. All of a sudden she goes full psycho? Nah... bruv. That didn't make sense to me. I have a huge problem with how that all played out.

I loved the battle between the Clegane brothers though. That was superb.

They are definitely dead. The "prophecy" was fulfilled in an unforeseen way as her brother was holding her tight as they both died. I certainly didn't love that end for Cersei, and Jaime for that matter, but it wasn't too awful.

And most of the complaints I'm hearing are in regards to Jaime going back to help her, as that apparently ruins all his character development throughout the show. I don't see it that way at all, he's always loved Cersei unconditionally even when he chose to fight in Winterfell. I did think he was going back to kill her because in a way it'd be a mercy for her as opposed to being captured and killed by her enemies. And it'd also be a way to free himself of her grip but part of GOT's brilliance is you don't necessarily ever know what's in the characters' hearts. Jaime hearing Sansa talk about the delight she will feel when Cersei is dead hit Jaime hard and he realized he wanted to save her. I'm good with that. But the way they died...that's my only real issue, it deserved quite a bit more, especially Cersei.

With Dany I get people's issue. But again she has for a long time not been a very reasonable and merciful ruler. And with Jorah and Missandei dead, and Tyrion and Jon betraying her trust you can see how it went down the way it did.

I guess the only thing that remains to be seen is who takes out Dany next week, or at least tries to. I think it will be Arya but it could be Tyrion or Jon. Also how does Drogon fit in? Everyone sees now just how powerful and destructive Drogon is but how can they kill him now?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I'm wondering about who takes Danerys out too. It could be Arya but I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Snow does it. The Stark blood in him makes him a fighter on the side of justice. And as for Drogon, Jon Snow can control him. He already has a relationship of sorts

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I'm wondering about who takes Danerys out too. It could be Arya but I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Snow does it. The Stark blood in him makes him a fighter on the side of justice. And as for Drogon, Jon Snow can control him. He already has a relationship of sorts

I hear you about Drogon and Jon but I don't think he'd allow him to kill Mommy and then just be alright with it and follow Jon's command.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I think it'd be an interesting twist if it's Tyrion. He's clearly the one who suffered the most by being wrong about Dany. He saw to the demise of Varys and now Jaime and Cersei are dead as well (yes, he still had some deep down love for his sister as nasty as she was). And his brother who he looked up to was the Kingslayer...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Good call.. that could happen. I could see Tyrion doing it. But I could also see Tyrion trying to get in Arya or Jon Snow's way and getting run over. It's going to be fascinating. I'm certainly not expecting a happy ending!

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Good call.. that could happen. I could see Tyrion doing it. But I could also see Tyrion trying to get in Arya or Jon Snow's way and getting run over. It's going to be fascinating. I'm certainly not expecting a happy ending!

I'm just hoping it isn't a Sopranos style ending. I had read articles about people fearing that and thought they were being crazy but now it seems possible. I could also see a scenario where they are all killed off in the end.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm just hoping it isn't a Sopranos style ending. I had read articles about people fearing that and thought they were being crazy but now it seems possible. I could also see a scenario where they are all killed off in the end.
agreed! That last episode just seemed senseless to me

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Agreed.

The whole thing could end in a blood bath, which the writers would say is ironic, but I would say is moronic.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think the whole season seems incredibly rushed. It's OK on one level in that it's action-packed and fairly exciting but in contrast to how Game of Thrones has evolved with the other seasons there is little depth in the story.

For instance, in previous seasons we have seen multiple episodes dedicated to things like Tyrion's trial and other characters like the Sand Sisters and Marcella who have little impact on the overall story arc... yet in this season, we have Varys' fate done and dusted in five minutes, a love affair between Jon and Dany that lacks any depth (compare with far more authentic evolution of Ygritte and Jon), Clegane Bowl (compare with the build-up to the Oberyn and the Mountain's clash)... everything is moving way too quickly... As mentioned before, Bran and the Night King meeting was an example of another major let-down that lacked any substance.

This season could have been two seasons with ten episodes each and probably should have been if they wanted to match the tempo of the previous seasons. The depth of the characters is what made Game of Thrones great. It seems they are desperate to wrap the whole thing up and have a ton of loose ends to tie up in such a short space of time. I hear the writers are wanting to move onto other things.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the whole season seems incredibly rushed. It's OK on one level in that it's action-packed and fairly exciting but in contrast to how Game of Thrones has evolved with the other seasons there is little depth in the story.

For instance, in previous seasons we have seen multiple episodes dedicated to things like Tyrion's trial and other characters like the Sand Sisters and Marcella who have little impact on the overall story arc... yet in this season, we have Varys' fate done and dusted in five minutes, a love affair between Jon and Dany that lacks any depth (compare with far more authentic evolution of Ygritte and Jon), Clegane Bowl (compare with the build-up to the Oberyn and the Mountain's clash)... everything is moving way too quickly... As mentioned before, Bran and the Night King meeting was an example of another major let-down that lacked any substance.

This season could have been two seasons with ten episodes each and probably should have been if they wanted to match the tempo of the previous seasons. The depth of the characters is what made Game of Thrones great. It seems they are desperate to wrap the whole thing up and have a ton of loose ends to tie up in such a short space of time. I hear the writers are wanting to move onto other things.

Apparently HBO wanted more episodes but the directors refused. That REALLY makes them look a lot worse in all of this. Even last season was pretty rushed at various points but this is obviously a whole different story. And you kind of figured it'd be like this going in, way too many enormous things to get through in just 6 episodes.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Apparently HBO wanted more episodes but the directors refused. That REALLY makes them look a lot worse in all of this. Even last season was pretty rushed at various points but this is obviously a whole different story. And you kind of figured it'd be like this going in, way too many enormous things to get through in just 6 episodes.

Definitely. I think they should have brought in different people if the two writers couldn't commit to a proper conclusion.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On another note, predictions for the grand finale? I think Jon ends up killing Dany. As Jon is a true Targaryen then he should be fire-proof - Dragon fire won't kill him. There were some prophecies in the books about Azor Ahai, who if this thing is to make sense in that respect - then Jon is the likely reincarnation. Also, Melisandre's prophecies were about the Prince claiming the throne. Rumour has that their will also be a trial of Tyrion.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Definitely. I think they should have brought in different people if the two writers couldn't commit to a proper conclusion.

I'm sure you've heard already that these jokesters are doing a Star Wars trilogy next. I guess the good news is the Last Jedi debacle already damaged expectations there.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
On another note, predictions for the grand finale? I think Jon ends up killing Dany. As Jon is a true Targaryen then he should be fire-proof - Dragon fire won't kill him. There were some prophecies in the books about Azor Ahai, who if this thing is to make sense in that respect - then Jon is the likely reincarnation. Also, Melisandre's prophecies were about the Prince claiming the throne. Rumour has that their will also be a trial of Tyrion.

Jon could be eaten or just squashed by the dragon though...I think Arya will do the deed but I'd like it to be Tyrion

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Jon could be eaten or just squashed by the dragon though...I think Arya will do the deed but I'd like it to be Tyrion
the whole "Arya riding a pale white horse" certainly reinforces the death/assassin scenario

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

It's not just rushed, it's cliched as well. Have you noticed how when Danerys was her old self she looked sharp with the make up. But all of a sudden now that she's getting paranoid and psychotic she's dumped the make up and always looks slightly sweaty? It's like an undergrad budding director has taken the reins while the pros aren't looking.. :facepalm:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Nailed it :D

More detailed comments when it's appropriate

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My first day ever of getting to read about or listen to any commentary on GoT. I actually wondered if the last episodes seemed rushed to me as I was rushing through them. I really hated what they did to Danaerys, and I didn't buy it. And they end really just limped off into the sunset. I enjoyed it, over all, esp. the middle seasons, maybe 4-6.