Game of Thrones (TV Show)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know if I'm being too harsh but I was not a fan. There was an incredibly ridiculous/anticlimactic part of it and I'm sure you know what I'm alluding too. Even if everything else was perfect that alone made it a disappointment. Parts of it were well done and properly intense but some of it just...blah.

This is the problem when a show is being too rushed, this should not be a 6 episode season.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
ARRYAHHHHHHH!!! The baddest gal in town. You got to lover her! :D

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know if I'm being too harsh but I was not a fan. There was an incredibly ridiculous/anticlimactic part of it and I'm sure you know what I'm alluding too. Even if everything else was perfect that alone made it a disappointment. Parts of it were well done and properly intense but some of it just...blah.

This is the problem when a show is being too rushed, this should not be a 6 episode season.

I guess we are far enough away from showing to start breaking it down!

I'm interested... what was the ridiculous anti-climax? I was expecting a little more from the Night King finally meeting Bran but other than that I thought it was pretty well done.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

I'm interested... what was the ridiculous anti-climax? I was expecting a little more from the Night King finally meeting Bran but other than that I thought it was pretty well done.
maybe I'm just getting over how utterly crap Avengers Endgame was. But I loved this episode. This was gritty, it was human, people were fearful as would be the case in war. Most of all, it was messy, plans failed. It was real to me. Damn the Night King was a bad mofo. When Daenerys shot dragon fire on him I just new he would still be there standing. I actually thought Jon Snow would be the one to put him away, right up until the conversation between Arya and Melisandrae. I think it's the sort of episode you'll enjoy the more you watch it. There was too much to unpack in there

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

You don't find it a little crazy that the show builds up the Night King for so many years and he is put away in 2 seconds by Arya? I know we all love Arya and I really think that's distorting everyone's view away from just how awful that was. This is an ancient, all-powerful, magical warrior yet Arya easily overpowers him and ends him in a blink of an eye.

I get that he had to be taken out somehow, I just think it deserved a little more than that. And it goes back to the fact everything is way too rushed. I mean just look at Jorah's end. They absolutely nailed it, definitely the most epic part of the episode IMO. Comparing that to the Night King scene you'd think it was completely different writers.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You don't find it a little crazy that the show builds up the Night King for so many years and he is put away in 2 seconds by Arya? I know we all love Arya and I really think that's distorting everyone's view away from just how awful that was. This is an ancient, all-powerful, magical warrior yet Arya easily overpowers him and ends him in a blink of an eye.

I get that he had to be taken out somehow, I just think it deserved a little more than that. And it goes back to the fact everything is way too rushed. I mean just look at Jorah's end. They absolutely nailed it, definitely the most epic part of the episode IMO. Comparing that to the Night King scene you'd think it was completely different writers.
I actually think that the Arya character has been building up to that moment pretty much since the start of the series. The technique she used is something we've seen from her before. I always thought her purpose would be killing Cersei, but this makes more sense to me. If I had any reservations at all it's the fact that there wasn't more of a mental contest between the Night King and Bran. He just sat there and waited for death, that was.... weird to me. As I said before, you have to watch it a few times before fully digesting it. I think that you were contaminated with too many expectations. The whole thing with this entire series is that our expectations have been slapped in our faces with a freshly caught fish consistently. I don't get why we would expect anything different at this point

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually think that the Arya character has been building up to that moment pretty much since the start of the series. The technique she used is something we've seen from her before. I always thought her purpose would be killing Cersei, but this makes more sense to me. If I had any reservations at all it's the fact that there wasn't more of a mental contest between the Night King and Bran. He just sat there and waited for death, that was.... weird to me. As I said before, you have to watch it a few times before fully digesting it. I think that you were contaminated with too many expectations. The whole thing with this entire series is that our expectations have been slapped in our faces with a freshly caught fish consistently. I don't get why we would expect anything different at this point

I'd actually say it was Jon who was being built up all along to take out the Night King. That was the expectation and I'm actually fine with it being a surprise. Part of what has made GOT the best show is it always keeps you off balance and usually in a good way. I guess what I'm getting at is that the Night King's death was just awful TV IMO when you consider who the character is and how much of the show was centered around the threat he posed. It doesn't matter who killed him, I'd have had the same reaction.

I'm curious what you didn't like about Avengers but that is another spoiler alert. I liked Infinity War a lot better but still thought this was good.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm curious what you didn't like about Avengers but that is another spoiler alert. I liked Infinity War a lot better but still thought this was good.
it went on for another hour after the battle. I kept telling myself, we'll be done in another 15mins, and it kept on and on and on and on and on... fk me! And then to top it off, Thor gets his ass kicked by Thanos with 2 hammers. Cap picks up one of them and he gives Thanos a good fight!!?? WTF!! I grew up reading Marvel/DC/ Judge Dredd comics. Thor has fought Thanos to a standstill without his hammers... and I'm expected to swallow Cap doing a better job? It pissed me off royally! :D

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd actually say it was Jon who was being built up all along to take out the Night King. That was the expectation and I'm actually fine with it being a surprise. Part of what has made GOT the best show is it always keeps you off balance and usually in a good way. I guess what I'm getting at is that the Night King's death was just awful TV IMO when you consider who the character is and how much of the show was centered around the threat he posed. It doesn't matter who killed him, I'd have had the same reaction.
I disagree about Jon Snow being set up to kill the Night King. I always thought it would be Bran somehow. Jon Snow, to me, has been groomed to be King of the Seven Kingdoms. Just my take...

I do agree that the Night King's death was not as entertaining, but more because there was no contest between him and Bran. Bran just sat there man. WTF... But Arya doing the job, made a lot of sense to me, and after her conversation with Melisandrae I knew that was how it was going to go down and I was ok with it. I would rather she had gone toe to toe with him and done some ninja shit though ;)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree about Jon Snow being set up to kill the Night King. I always thought it would be Bran somehow. Jon Snow, to me, has been groomed to be King of the Seven Kingdoms. Just my take...

I do agree that the Night King's death was not as entertaining, but more because there was no contest between him and Bran. Bran just sat there man. WTF... But Arya doing the job, made a lot of sense to me, and after her conversation with Melisandrae I knew that was how it was going to go down and I was ok with it. I would rather she had gone toe to toe with him and done some ninja shit though ;)

Totally agree with this. I watched the "extras" segment with the creators of the show and they said Arya had been earmarked for the task three years ago, even though the obvious "hero" story was for Jon Snow to do the dirty deed. One thing I like about the show is that they keep you guessing. If this was a movie, no doubt it would have been Jon (or should we be calling him Aegon now?)

Reactions: Federberg

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
it went on for another hour after the battle. I kept telling myself, we'll be done in another 15mins, and it kept on and on and on and on and on... fk me! And then to top it off, Thor gets his ass kicked by Thanos with 2 hammers. Cap picks up one of them and he gives Thanos a good fight!!?? WTF!! I grew up reading Marvel/DC/ Judge Dredd comics. Thor has fought Thanos to a standstill without his hammers... and I'm expected to swallow Cap doing a better job? It pissed me off royally! :D

I see why that part would be an issue. If I was into the comics at all like you I might not have liked it. Infinity War was more action packed and also wasn't so predictable. I think given how this movie was predictable for the most part, it was pretty solid but nothing special.

Anyways I was way more disappointed by GOT. I think people either loved the Arya scene or hated it, there is no in between. I have no issue that it was her who took him out, but it was just borderline retarded to me. Kind of reminded me of the Snoke death in Last Jedi.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I see why that part would be an issue. If I was into the comics at all like you I might not have liked it. Infinity War was more action packed and also wasn't so predictable. I think given how this movie was predictable for the most part, it was pretty solid but nothing special.

Anyways I was way more disappointed by GOT. I think people either loved the Arya scene or hated it, there is no in between. I have no issue that it was her who took him out, but it was just borderline retarded to me. Kind of reminded me of the Snoke death in Last Jedi.
My big issue was the lack of..... drama.... something or anything... between Bran and the Night King. Heck he could have taken over some animals and attacked the Night King... anything! He just sat there. I found myself asking... what good are you anyway? I thought the battle scenes were some of the best I've ever seen. Seeing The Hound lose his bottle was real to me. The chaos, the surprising heroism, and disappointing cowardice. It felt real. Arya doing the deed was pure GoT, the fact that she didn't ninja him, or appear out of nowhere and quietly slide the knife into his back was a bit disappointing, but the fact it was her was fitting. She's the family assassin

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm still only early on Season 5, but it's getting more and more exciting. I have learned that the plea for "mercy" means nothing in this show. I've also come to believe that all white people look alike. :D

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm still only early on Season 5, but it's getting more and more exciting. I have learned that the plea for "mercy" means nothing in this show. I've also come to believe that all white people look alike. :D

You're flying along! You'll be caught up in a few weeks.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're flying along! You'll be caught up in a few weeks.
My only ambition is to watch the last couple of episodes with everyone else. What's my deadline? :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah that's a tad bit ambitious but still possible. About 30 episodes in a week. I did that with Breaking Bad once :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, but Mother's Day is next weekend, and I have to travel. OK, I may not catch up before the end. But I'll be close...then I'll be here to discuss.

Reactions: DarthFed

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think there's a little irony in the latest episode. When Euron Greyjoy says to Cersei.."she's coming for you", the obvious "she" is Daenerys. But we all know who the she is... the Night King Killa! Mark my words..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think there's a little irony in the latest episode. When Euron Greyjoy says to Cersei.."she's coming for you", the obvious "she" is Daenerys. But we all know who the she is... the Night King Killa! Mark my words..

My money is on her brother doing the dirty deed.