First week in the season: Doha, Brisbane, Chennai

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ilya Marchenko defeats Gabashvili as well. He is hitting a good form suddenly.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bernie Tomic survives the Stepanek test: 7-6, 4-6, 7-6

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
14240 said:
Denis wrote:
Well let’s not get too dramatic about it shall we? There are two things I don’t like about Rafa: 1. intentional and continuous court delays aimed at disrupting the opponents rythm (bad sportsmanship)
This applies to the player you root for as well. In fact, behind Nadal, he’s the player this applies to the most. I understand why people may not like Nadal though. I don’t know why fans get defensive when people dislike their player to begin with. I could legit list you 10 things for people to despise about both Nadal and Djokovic, and they’d all be valid (can’t do so for Federer though, amazingly).

I don't like Mirka for Federer for starters. And the moronic crowd support he gets for another. But let's not go there.

Djokovic does not purposefully do time delays consistently and as much as Nadal. A medical time out once and ball bounces in the past, that's about it. And the whole Bernardes thing is too rediculous to get into.

Anyways I think you allude to the idea that rooting /disliking a player is not rational. I would tend to agree. Djokovic has done some annoying things in the past too, I'll grant that.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Edmund wins again and finds himself in the quarters. Chung loses in a tight match against cilic. The rest of the matches we're pretty straightforward.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14244 said:
Broken_shoelace wrote:
<blockquote>
Denis wrote:
Well let’s not get too dramatic about it shall we? There are two things I don’t like about Rafa: 1. intentional and continuous court delays aimed at disrupting the opponents rythm (bad sportsmanship)
This applies to the player you root for as well. In fact, behind Nadal, he’s the player this applies to the most. I understand why people may not like Nadal though. I don’t know why fans get defensive when people dislike their player to begin with. I could legit list you 10 things for people to despise about both Nadal and Djokovic, and they’d all be valid (can’t do so for Federer though, amazingly).</blockquote>
I don’t like Mirka for Federer for starters. And the moronic crowd support he gets for another. But let’s not go there. Djokovic does not purposefully do time delays consistently and as much as Nadal. A medical time out once and ball bounces in the past, that’s about it. And the whole Bernardes thing is too rediculous to get into. Anyways I think you allude to the idea that rooting /disliking a player is not rational. I would tend to agree. Djokovic has done some annoying things in the past too, I’ll grant that.
One fan's quirk or charming habit is a detractor's annoyance, I'll give you that, and they're not all in the past.  However, a lot of us keep those irritations to ourselves, unless goaded.  I do it because I choose not to be gratuitously insulting.  Not so for those who don't like Nadal, too often.  I find it wearying, cheap, and a sheep-like following of a narrative created long ago to downgrade Nadal by rabid Fedfans.  Obviously, this is a hangover from old forums, but the trope follows over here.  That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
14252 said:
Denis wrote:
<blockquote>
Broken_shoelace wrote:
<blockquote>
Denis wrote:
This applies to the player you root for as well. In fact, behind Nadal, he’s the player this applies to the most. I understand why people may not like Nadal though. I don’t know why fans get defensive when people dislike their player to begin with. I could legit list you 10 things for people to despise about both Nadal and Djokovic, and they’d all be valid (can’t do so for Federer though, amazingly).</blockquote>
I don’t like Mirka for Federer for starters. And the moronic crowd support he gets for another. But let’s not go there. Djokovic does not purposefully do time delays consistently and as much as Nadal. A medical time out once and ball bounces in the past, that’s about it. And the whole Bernardes thing is too rediculous to get into. Anyways I think you allude to the idea that rooting /disliking a player is not rational. I would tend to agree. Djokovic has done some annoying things in the past too, I’ll grant that.</blockquote>
One fan’s quirk or charming habit is a detractor’s annoyance, I’ll give you that, and they’re not all in the past. However, a lot of us keep those irritations to ourselves, unless goaded. I do it because I choose not to be gratuitously insulting. Not so for those who don’t like Nadal, too often. I find it wearying, cheap, and a sheep-like following of a narrative created long ago to downgrade Nadal by rabid Fedfans. Obviously, this is a hangover from old forums, but the trope follows over here. That’s my 2 cents, anyway.

Agreed better to stick to positive thoughts as much as possible.

The guy that beat Ferrer is leading 4-0 against chardy. Never heard of him but at age 28 he looks like he is finding some form.

Federer won as expected, Goffin lost and raonic and Grigor won.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mayer was serving for the second set at 5-4 against Djokovic, but then folded like a cheap tent: 5-7. Some unreal returning by Novak though.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Saw some highlights of the match v. Mayer.  The Argentine looked creditably good for much of it, and Djokovic looked a bit off.  But I guess you can only play so well for so long before Novak gets you.  And his "off" day only just keeps him on court a little bit longer.

Rafa was disappointing today, after looking so good against Haase, but he came good when he needed to.  Not sure which Rafa will show up tomorrow against the suddenly trending Marchenko, who seems to have found a better form in his Christmas stocking.  B-)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I watched some highlights of the Chardy - Marchenko match, because I was curious to see how Ilya is playing. He certainly does not look like a player who spent his entire career on the challenger tour. He hits a very big FH, Chardy kept trying to avoid it and was searching for his BH.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Goffin was upset by the young French Pouille yesterday.

Pouille played Milos today, losing with 4-6, 4-6.

The other QF are looking interesting:

Tomic - Nishikori

Cilic- Thiem

Federer - Dimitrov

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem  beat Cilic  Tomic beat Nishikori

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thrilled to see Tomic, Thiem and Paire starting the season on a high note, picking it up where they closed the previous one.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Brisbane SFs:  Fed v. Thiem (d. Cilic); Raonic v. Tomic (d. Nishikori)

Chennai SFs:  Wawrinka v. Paire; Coric v. Bedene

Thiem is unlikely to beat Roger, as they've never played, but it could be interesting to see Dominic handle the situation.

Doha: The big-boy final:  Rafa will have to serve as well as he did today to have a chance.  If Nole starts as slowly as he did the last 2 rounds, and never wakes up, then Rafa might win.  LOL.  I'm hoping for a creditable showing.  Nadal is not ready to beat Djokovic, that's pretty clear.  (As an aside, you kind of have to feel for Berdych...his H2H v. Djokovic is like Roddick's v. Federer.)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I think it is every tournament director's dream to have #1 and #2 seeds in the final.  The boys delivered it.  Doha also won an award as one of the best at ATP 250 level.

Also glad to see Thiem advancing to the semi, and good win by Tomic against Nishikori.

Too bad that Stan and Benoit have to play each other in one semi final, would have liked to see them in the final.   But Coric has a chance to make it to the final.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole"ll probably beat Nadal today

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Milos edged out Tomic 7-6, 7-6 and Roger was too much for Thiem 6-1, 6-4 so it will be a rematch of last year final in Brisbane.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
First time Novak may take the lead over Nadal in the h2h. They are currently tied.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
This is, so far, a massacre.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
A comprehensive beat down. Nadal was playing well, but Djokovic's play was transcendent.