FIFA Corruption

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Another immense difficulty in allowing the WC to go ahead in Qatar is the record number of workers who've died in building the infrastructure. It's a human rights catastrophe and if they let it go ahead it will basically be played on the burying grounds of slaves... :nono

Yeah, it's a pretty shocking statistic. Pretty sad FIFA sat back and watched that unfold.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Thats a fair point

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/05/fbi-investigate-1966-world-cup-greg-dyke

It seems to me every bidding since the dawn of time has been corrupt. I'm not sure what's best for Qatar, I would hate for all those people to have died for nothing. Perhaps Qatar should be forced to properly compensate their families and ensure not a single other individual dies
Japan hosted with Korea. I wouldn't object to Australia:)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It'd be an insult to the dead if the Qatar World Cup goes ahead, a reward to the corrupt. There's a lot of reasons why it's absurd already that this was contemplated, except that we know why. Plus, you can't drink alcohol in Qatar, so the Germans and English might not boycott but their fans will. An Australian World Cup would be brilliant, and they have the infrastructure so it wouldn't cripple them, which it could do to some countries which aren't old school football stalwarts...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
^Thats a fair point

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/05/fbi-investigate-1966-world-cup-greg-dyke

It seems to me every bidding since the dawn of time has been corrupt. I'm not sure what's best for Qatar, I would hate for all those people to have died for nothing. Perhaps Qatar should be forced to properly compensate their families and ensure not a single other individual dies
Japan hosted with Korea. I wouldn't object to Australia:)

I addition when you consider the corruption that's occurred in English football, and frankly other European major leagues. Whether it's bungs, calciopoli, the vastly different reaction the FA has to serious infringements of England internationals vs everyone else, I could go on. And that's not even talking about the corruption we see in other aspects of life, I'm extremely uncomfortable with some of the solutions these guys might come up with. I'm not sure anyone is clean, the only difference is that there might be greater financial sophistication in hiding misdemeanours. There is a colonialist/xenophobic flavour to some of the comments I've heard that I find concerning.

I'm in no way endorsing Qatar, but we had a world cup in the US when there was not much of a league to speak of, sure it can be justified as a successful attempt to grow the game in the US, so we should credit FIFA for doing that, I'm not sure it's any different for Qatar in that case. Am I happy it's going to be there? Heck no! The next two world cups in Russia and Qatar, are going to be the first two I don't attend since 1994 :nono

I'm just waiting for when a sub-saharan (around the equatorial belt) country tries to bid for a world cup. That will have to be played in the European winter as well. Something people in Europe have never appreciated as I can see from all the complaints when Africa hosts it's regional championships. You simply can't hold a tournament in during the raining season, people die in those storms. Yes it might disrupt European leagues, but it's the world cup. Accommodation has to be made for that, it can't be western-centric imho