Fedalovic Wars

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Give 33-34 year old Federer Novak's competition and he has more than 20 by the time he's the same age.
I don't understand this at all, 33-34 year Fed did have Novak's competition as that was 2014-15. He did not win a single slam in that period

Reactions: Bonaca

Sabratha

Club Member
Reactions
I don't understand this at all, 33-34 year Fed did have Novak's competition as that was 2014-15. He did not win a single slam in that period
So 33-34 year old Fed had Thiem, Medvedev and Tsitsipas to compete against? Is that what you're saying? :thinking-face:

Do you forget the fact he had to battle against Novak himself at his very peak?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

You can't win! First you have the fans who undermine Novak's play, then the next they're giving him kudos for being in his prime to defeat Federer who won 3 more majors later as a senior citizen! I give up; sorta like in politics, you can't win with certain types! They're delusional, frustrated, envious souls who can't be made whole if they think their support isn't going to the top of the food chain; THE GOAT! Fed ain't no GOAT here; sorry! He has two younger "greats" on his arse and it's inevitable that both will surpass him in all the major records; right now falling like dominos with Novak's every victory! :yes:

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
So 33-34 year old Fed had Thiem, Medvedev and Tsitsipas to compete against? Is that what you're saying? :thinking-face:

Do you forget the fact he had to battle against Novak himself at his very peak?
Oh I understood what you are saying now. You wanted Federer to be born in 1988 instead of 1981. That wasn't clear from your post. Competition is really subjective and goes into the land of what-ifs which I am not interested in speculating. (For example, if Federer was not there, Hewitt and Roddick would have won much more and might not have retired when they did etc)

I was just stating a fact that Federer had 17 slams at the age of 35 and Djokovic got 18 at the age of 34. Nothing more than that

Reactions: Fiero425

Sabratha

Club Member
Reactions
You can't win! First you have the fans who undermine Novak's play, then the next they're giving him kudos for being in his prime to defeat Federer who won 3 more majors later as a senior citizen! I give up; sorta like in politics, you can't win with certain types! They're delusional, frustrated, envious souls who can't be made whole if they think their support isn't going to the top of the food chain; THE GOAT! Fed ain't no GOAT here; sorry! He has two younger "greats" on his arse and it's inevitable that both will surpass him in all the major records; right now falling like dominos with Novak's every victory! :yes:
I guess projection is a problem for you, right? :thinking-face:

By the way, since reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths, I've said all three of the Big 3 are very similar and there's not much separating them. I just don't subscribe to your flawed and deluded "weak era" theory that applies as much to Nadal/Djokovic as it does to Federer.

Sabratha

Club Member
Reactions
Oh I understood what you are saying now. You wanted Federer to be born in 1988 instead of 1981. That wasn't clear from your post. Competition is really subjective and goes into the land of what-ifs which I am not interested in speculating. (For example, if Federer was not there, Hewitt and Roddick would have won much more and might not have retired when they did etc)

I was just stating a fact that Federer had 17 slams at the age of 35 and Djokovic got 18 at the age of 34. Nothing more than that
It doesn't matter if he's born in 1936 or 1997 the fact remains that he had to battle against some of the toughest competition in his early to mid 30s in peak Nadal and Djokovic.

Meanwhile Novak has had the luxury of facing Tsitsipas, Thiem and Medvedev deep in majors. There's a reason why Federer didn't win a major during that time and it's not because he wasn't good enough to defeat the same guys Djokovic has to win his most recent majors.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I dont believe in GOAT at all as you just cannot compare between eras. Tennis has evolved a lot and the criteria has changed with each decade. Borg would never have skipped Australia had he known the number of majors would be the defining criteria for GOAT rather than a calendar year grand slam which it was in his period. Sampras would never have given up on the French and focused on Wimbledon had he known surface diversity would play a key role in about 20 years rather than just the number of majors which it was in his period. Too many what-ifs really

But what I do know is that we are witnessing 3 of the best players ever competing and pushing each other and tennis to higher heights and I am going to enjoy that play out in front of my eyes

• Love
Reactions: shawnbm

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
It doesn't matter if he's born in 1936 or 1997 the fact remains that he had to battle against some of the toughest competition in his early to mid 30s in peak Nadal and Djokovic.

Meanwhile Novak has had the luxury of facing Tsitsipas, Thiem and Medvedev deep in majors. There's a reason why Federer didn't win a major during that time and it's not because he wasn't good enough to defeat the same guys Djokovic has to win his most recent majors.
You are saying the main competition of Djokovic was Thiem, Tsitsipas etc which is not correct. His 18 slams came in a period of 2008-2021 which had a lot of diverse competition including from Federer himself to win his majors. So I think that balances it out

Reactions: Bonaca and Fiero425

Sabratha

Club Member
Reactions
You are saying the main competition of Djokovic was Thiem, Tsitsipas etc which is not correct. His 18 slams came in a period of 2008-2021 which had a lot of diverse competition including from Federer himself to win his majors. So I think that balances it out
He won most of his slams from 2014 onward which is regarded as a weak period in the men's game. In the last one or two years he's had Thiem, Tsitispas and Medvedev as main rivals.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
He won most of his slams from 2014 onward which is regarded as a weak period in the men's game. In the last one or two years he's had Thiem, Tsitispas and Medvedev as main rivals.
Again I don't want to go into weak eras as that is just pure speculation and there is no objective way to decide it. What may be weak to you might be strong to some other person on the planet and vice versa

I will point that that 3 of the greatest tennis players to have ever played the game have been playing since 2014. If you consider that a weak era, then you have really high standards though

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Again I don't want to go into weak eras as that is just pure speculation and there is no objective way to decide it. What may be weak to you might be strong to some other person on the planet and vice versa

I will point that that 3 of the greatest tennis players to have ever played the game have been playing since 2014. If you consider that a weak era, then you have really high standards though
There is a near 6 year age gap between Federer and Djokovic so their primes never coincided. Both won more when one was in their prime and the other wasn't. That's an unavoidable issue but it's also a fact and all things being equal, it's fully expected that the younger player should end up with better results. We'd have to have them all the same age to see the true picture and, even then, primes aren't always at the same time but Federer's clearly well past his for a long, long time now.

The weak era goes beyond these 3 players, it's the whole field not named Djokovic, Federer and Nadal that is weak and Federer is ancient as tennis players go. He's still giving Djokovic very tough matches for the most part and that says a lot, it says even though Djokovic fans go, but hey, look at the winning h2h, well look how hard it is for him to beat an ancient old geezer. Even prime Roddick beat Djokovic more than vice versa and ended with a winning h2h 5-4 and they never once played on grass in Roddick's prime but I'd love to see how that would've gone. Djokovic has a 2-0 losing record against Safin and Safin was past his prime in 2007 when he beat Djokovic at Wimbledon. Djokovic had a hard time almost every match against Haas who beat him 3 times (twice on grass), all times completely outside his prime and he was ancient when he beat him at Miami 2013. Djokovic never played any of these guys in their primes and I guarantee if he had people would see the prior decade had a much stronger 2nd tier field than now.

Reactions: shawnbm

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
There is a near 6 year age gap between Federer and Djokovic so their primes never coincided. Both won more when one was in their prime and the other wasn't. That's an unavoidable issue but it's also a fact and all things being equal, it's fully expected that the younger player should end up with better results. We'd have to have them all the same age to see the true picture and, even then, primes aren't always at the same time but Federer's clearly well past his for a long, long time now.

The weak era goes beyond these 3 players, it's the whole field not named Djokovic, Federer and Nadal that is weak and Federer is ancient as tennis players go. He's still giving Djokovic very tough matches for the most part and that says a lot, it says even though Djokovic fans go, but hey, look at the winning h2h, well look how hard it is for him to beat an ancient old geezer. Even prime Roddick beat Djokovic more than vice versa and ended with a winning h2h 5-4 and they never once played on grass in Roddick's prime but I'd love to see how that would've gone. Djokovic has a 2-0 losing record against Safin and Safin was past his prime in 2007 when he beat Djokovic at Wimbledon. Djokovic had a hard time almost every match against Haas who beat him 3 times (twice on grass), all times completely outside his prime and he was ancient when he beat him at Miami 2013. Djokovic never played any of these guys in their primes and I guarantee if he had people would see the prior decade had a much stronger 2nd tier field than now.

They didn’t play peak Novak too!
The weak era stuff is a barrel without a ground.
These 3 You mentioned would never gain a positive h2h against the version of Novak since 2011.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Sabratha

Club Member
Reactions
They didn’t play peak Novak too!
The weak era stuff is a barrel without a ground.
These 3 You mentioned would never gain a positive h2h against the version of Novak since 2011.

It's not about getting a H2H advantage but defeating him in matches he should've lost but won because of weaker opposition.

Reactions: Front242

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
It's not about getting a H2H advantage but defeating him in matches he should've lost but won because of weaker opposition.
there is no proof that your opinion is more correct than ours
That is also what tennisville is saying. i see it like him, to talk about a weak era while the 3 greats are playing and lots of other very good player, sounds funny to me

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I told you, Fed fans are rather sensitive to these records falling! They seemed to be out of reach just 10 years ago, but Novak's won majors in bunches to catch up real fast to Fedal and they can't stand it! He's not only surpassing them both for some of these records, he's doing it sooner and against them who're supposed to be the Twin GOATs! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I told you, Fed fans are rather sensitive to these records falling! They seemed to be out of reach just 10 years ago, but Novak's won majors in bunches to catch up real fast to Fedal and they can't stand it! He's not only surpassing them both for some of these records, he's doing it sooner and against them who're supposed to be the Twin GOATs! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Don't forget you used to be a big Fed fan. To this day it still makes zero sense to drop Federer as one of your favourites just to slag him once he got old :facepalm: As has been pointed out multiple times, Djokovic won the bulk of his against a weak 2nd tier and an old Federer, hence the catching up fast. Give prime Federer this opposition and prime Federer against Djokovic in the ones he lost as an old cronie and it'd be a different story. It is what it is. Not Djokovic's fault one of his main rivals is well past it and the opposition are poor, but it's still a fact.

Last edited:

Sabratha

Club Member
Reactions
Don't forget you used to be a big Fed fan. To this day it still makes zero sense to drop Federer as one of your favourites just to slag him once he got old :facepalm: As has been pointed out multiple times, Djokovic won the bulk of his against a weak 2nd tier and an old Federer, hence the catching up fast. Give prime Federer this opposition and prime Federer against Djokovic in the ones he lost as an old cronie and it'd be a different story. It is what it is. Not Djokovic's fault one of his main rivals is well past it and the opposition are poor, but it's still a fact.
Fiero is an obvious glory hunter. He's less vocal with his ideologies on Talk Tennis but likes various posts supporting the same viewpoints he expresses here.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Once Novak achieved career grand slam (also Noleslam), he immediately lost motivation, and goofed off with Bollywood actress for about an year.
For all you know, once he achieves the weeks at #1 record in a few weeks, another let down might happen (perhaps a south american actress could
help out this time) and he might lose another year without winning a single slam.

Stranger things have happened. There is a reason all finanical companies use the disclaimer "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions

That sound like bitter excuses.
Give Federer a prime Novak in the earlier matches instead of the rookie that Novak was!
If their prime periods were equal or their ages, Novak could adapt on that level much earlier, it’s part of his talent.
No one on this earth knows what would have been when all of the 3 were same age, turned at the same time pro and retire at the same time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murat Baslamisli Pro Tennis (Mens) 1923