Favorite Singers

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
It's two years since the death of Topi Sorsakoski. He was rather a favourite of my parents' and grandparents' generation but I really started to like his music two years ago, actually just a few days before his death.

If you know the song Greenfields, here's it's Finnish version by Topi Sorsakoski and his former band Agents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXZdx95cYlA

Here's my favourite song by him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9s0K0gD4U

One more great song by him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agjzdI80AFI

As I said, he was rather a favourite of my parents' generation but that's why his music brings such a nostalgic feeling. The guitar song we call rautalanka (iron wire) brings 60s to my mind. Here's an instrumental version of the last song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Oq3Hk0nR0

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think there's a difference between favorite (as in "best") singers and favorite artists. That is, if someone is a favorite singer he or she automatically is also a favorite artist. But someone who is a favorite artist may also be so because of different aspects of his or her artistry that goes beyond the the singing or the sound of his or her voice.

I'm a big opera lover and my favorite voice type has always been the soprano, and especially the lyric soprano. I can just wallow in the creamy beauty of voices like the ones from Renée Fleming and Kiri Te Kanawa. I also love Mirella Freni who for me is "the best" or most moving Puccini singer ever. Even late in life she was still utterly convincing singing roles of women forty years younger than her.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD9q1y8Vv-s[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfLkYpOglA[/video]

Of the men I like Luciano Pavarotti, but only for his singing. As an opera "on stage actor" he was a disaster of the "park and bark" type. Basically a statue who's acting limited itself to opening his mouth and looking into the distance to express distress or smiling to show that he's happy or in love. Still, his voice was such an incredible instrument that it hardly matters. Rolando Villazon is my favorite young-ish tenor. His enthusiasm is almost impossible to resist, especially when he sings/plays opposite the super gorgeous (and great) Anna Netrebko. He's both moving and funny. There's definitely something Chaplin-esque about him. Placido Domingo is of course one of the all time greats. His longevity and his range of roles is simply incredible. I also love Nicolai Ghiaurov's bass voice. He's not with us anymore, but he was Mirella Freni's husband. But I could go on and on because the standard that is recquired to make it in opera is such there is no such thing as a poor opera singer who's made it - leaving aside a few crossover singers who are not "real" opera singers to begin with.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa58TdbRGJ4[/video]

I also love many jazz and "traditional pop" singers such as Billie Holiday (up to and including the 1940's, I'm not a big fan of the late "voice in shatters" version), Frank Sinatra, June Christy, Sarah Vaughan and Peggy Lee. Peggy Lee is one of the most undemonstrative "less is more" but nevertheless also sexy vocalists in any genre that I have ever heard. She oozes class and I simply adore her.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72h6Efv4l38[/video]

In more contemporary popular music I love soul singers such as Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and many others. Dusty Springfield is another one I love. I like her singing so much that I own all of her albums - even the mediocre ones just because I love that husky, yearning, sexy voice so much. In country music I like Patsy Cline (best country singer ever imo) and Alison Krauss.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKXjYdrcmCw[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3WSrZ-9bM[/video]

And then there's Linda Ronstadt - incredible voice and the most versatile singer I know. Rock, pop, country, bluegrass, mariachi, jazz standards, operetta - Ronstadt has done it all and she never embarrased herself with any of it. A few weeks ago I heard that Linda is suffering from Parkinsons desease and that we will never hear her sing again. Therefore I would like to close this post with a clip of of the incredible miss Ronstadt. Not any one video can do justice to her talent because she has done so many different things so well. But I haven't chosen one of the more obvious pop, rock or country hits that most will already be familiar with anyway. Instead I've gone for a bit of Mariachi music.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfXiOrK7t4[/video]

I've just realized that considering the clips I've chosen that I must have a strong preference for female singers. Perhaps I do, but there's plenty of guys I like as well though. Perhaps next time. ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great post, Jhar, really enjoyed reading that... :)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Great post, Jhar, really enjoyed reading that... :)

Me too, and I feel the same way about Domingo and Pavarotti. I might add that Corelli and Bjorling were fabulous tenors as well, right up there with those two and Caruso.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
jhar26 said:
I think there's a difference between favorite (as in "best") singers and favorite artists. That is, if someone is a favorite singer he or she automatically is also a favorite artist. But someone who is a favorite artist may also be so because of different aspects of his or her artistry that goes beyond the the singing or the sound of his or her voice.

I'm a big opera lover and my favorite voice type has always been the soprano, and especially the lyric soprano. I can just wallow in the creamy beauty of voices like the ones from Renée Fleming and Kiri Te Kanawa. I also love Mirella Freni who for me is "the best" or most moving Puccini singer ever. Even late in life she was still utterly convincing singing roles of women forty years younger than her.

Do you like Joan Sutherland or Marilyn Horne?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ZfYr6oLhA[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How about I say BOTH--emphatically! :)

It is like when you listen to Corelli or Domingo or Del Monaco, different tenors than Pavarotti, Gigli or Di Stefano in terms of tone and the kinds of roles their voices are better for. Each is special and yet distinct. Sutherland or Horne, Te Kawana or Fleming, Callas or Caballe? I take them all. ;0

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
How about I say BOTH--emphatically! :)

It is like when you listen to Corelli or Domingo or Del Monaco, different tenors than Pavarotti, Gigli or Di Stefano in terms of tone and the kinds of roles their voices are better for. Each is special and yet distinct. Sutherland or Horne, Te Kawana or Fleming, Callas or Caballe? I take them all. ;0

Great attitude, my friend. :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
jhar26 said:
tented said:
Do you like Joan Sutherland or Marilyn Horne?
Absolutely, yes.

They are incredible. After posting a link to their video singing the Delibes, I couldn't get it off my mind all day. Fortunately it's great music.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hey jhar, there is a great website called Greatoperasingers that you would really like. Most of those you like are on it. Do you like dramatic tenors like Vickers or Giacomini? How about the heldentenors like Melchior? The older I get the more I like the spinto-dramatic-heldentenors over lyrical or belcanto singers. I guess it is a matter of taste in the end, but hearing someone like Giacomini sing Ch'ella Mi Creda is unreal. It is simply thrilling.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm a "metal head", so I usually couldn't care less about how good someone's voice is. However, sometimes a Metal/Hard Rock singer's voice will jump out at me and I'll think "Damn, that guy can sing!" A phew immediately come to mind...

* John West, formerly of Royal Hunt
* Russell Allen of Symphony X
* The late Ray Gillen, formerly of Badlands
* The late Ronnie James Dio

***** The all-time best male voice in Rock/Hard Rock, in my opinion, is that of Steve Perry, phormerly of Journey.

Best phemale Rock voice? Ophph the top of my head, I'd have to go with Ann Wilson of Heart.
That Evanescence chick has a nice voice, too.

I don't really listen to a lot of other genres besides Rock. That said, a couple of other voices that have really grabbed my attention are those of Whitney Houston and Celine Dion.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
britbox said:
Good picks AP. Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel.

Agnetha and Anni-Frid (Frida) from Abba were other faves. Dionne Warwick, Whitney (in her prime), Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Annie Lennox are other faves. I used to like Grace Slick (Starship) a lot also, but she's not quite in that league.

Among the chaps - I like powerful voices like Springsteen, Pavorotti etc.

How I could have left off Karen Carpenter is beyond me. I may have been distracted at the time. Truly, she had the voice of an angel. God rest her soul, as her death was so sad--and so too soon. :(

Agreed, Karen really had a tragic story. Good call about Freddie Mercury, what a great powerful voice and entertainer, good call

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
I'm a "metal head", so I usually couldn't care less about how good someone's voice is. However, sometimes a Metal/Hard Rock singer's voice will jump out at me and I'll think "Damn, that guy can sing!" A phew immediately come to mind...

***** The all-time best male voice in Rock/Hard Rock, in my opinion, is that of Steve Perry, formerly of Journey.

Best female Rock voice? Ophph the top of my head, I'd have to go with Ann Wilson of Heart.

I don't really listen to a lot of other genres besides Rock. That said, a couple of other voices that have really grabbed my attention are those of Whitney Houston and Celine Dion.
I like the call of Steve Perry for a rocker who actually can sing . WHouston and CDeion are no-brainers. How about Anita bakers earlier cds, Rapture and Compositions..let me really drop one on ya, there was a group in the late 70's managed by Jermaine Jackson called Switch lead by Bobby Deberage. Have you heard him sing , There will never be abetter love, just an absolutely Perfect voice , imo

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
One of best rock voices for me is Paul Rodgers, I can listen to him always.:)

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
I. Haychew said:

***** The all-time best male voice in Rock/Hard Rock, in my opinion, is that of Steve Perry, formerly of Journey.

Best female Rock voice? Ophph the top of my head, I'd have to go with Ann Wilson of Heart.

I like the call of Steve Perry for a rocker who actually can sing . WHouston and CDeion are no-brainers. How about Anita bakers earlier cds, Rapture and Compositions..let me really drop one on ya, there was a group in the late 70's managed by Jermaine Jackson called Switch lead by Bobby Deberage. Have you heard him sing , There will never be abetter love, just an absolutely Perfect voice , imo

I will dephinitely check them out.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Watched Amy Winehouse perform in a small Irish parish Church in Dingle last night. She was 22 at the time, and at the top of her craft. The show contained film clips of some of the singers who influenced her. It had been many years since I saw video of the legendary Mahalia Jackson and Sarah Vaugn. Great stuff

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Watched Amy Winehouse perform in a small Irish parish Church in Dingle last night. She was 22 at the time, and at the top of her craft. The show contained film clips of some of the singers who influenced her. It had been many years since I saw video of the legendary Mahalia Jackson and Sarah Vaugn. Great stuff

Hey Shawn, if you like Sarah Vaughn.. then you should just love Anita Baker's two CDs(Rapture and Compositions)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, I had Anita's CDs back in the Eighties. I hear she is back making music. I shall have to float about and find her again. Thanks AP